GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed when I change my oil and remove the filter it is partially collapsed. I.have observed this within 2 to 3 thousand miles. What is causing this? Is it crankcase pressure or does it happen when pressure is applied to remove the filter. How can prove which one it is. If the filter is collapsing during normal operation and is serviced more than recommended intervals this is a huge problem and just another in a long list of issues with these engines.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 170.5k miles
4,085 Posts
Can you post pictures? Is this one of those cartridge filters? My 2011 V6 uses the conventional, metal can, “spin-on” filter. Every vehicle I’ve ever owned has used this type, and in 30+years of oil changes now - I’ve never had a single one come off damaged in any way that I could tell.

If it’s the cartridge, then maybe you’re over-tightening the drop-on cover? What’s the brand? Have you tried other brands for comparison? How many miles are you leaving the filter in for (sounds like not too long)? Are you sure you’re using the correct filter?

My son’s 2008 Malibu uses a cartridge filter and I’ve changed it a time or two. The one that came out looked OK to me. Maybe it’s your definition of “collapsed”?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I do not have any photos but I cannot be the only one that has noticed this. It is the correct filter and is a paper element only. No canister. Do not like the setup as the filter is on top of the motor. Snap filter on plastic cap, install new o-ring and screw untill it stops. Installed improperly and a fire is likely due to location on top of motor. I only use AC Delco replacement parts on all my vehicles. Several changes in the 2.4 from 2008 to 2012 with introduction of GDI. I have always changed my oil on my cars for 40 plus years and have never seen this happen even on a 1964 327 with a paper element. Of course it was located where it should be on the bottom of the motor. Collapsed, deformed or a change in the structure of the filter from installation to removal if it is happening during operation will allow oil to bypass filtration which we all know is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My old 2.4 Malibu's cartridge filter would deform a little. I tried multiple brands also, seems to be the nature of the beast.
I took that motor to 200k miles and sold running fine also.

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
430 Posts
I have seen this mentioned before on the 2.4. I changed the oil and filter on my wife's 2017 Nox with the 2.4 last week and the AC-Delco filter that came out looked fine, pleats were all where they should be, this vehicle only has roughly 36K miles on it tho. I would hazard a guess that collapsed filters are due to over pressurization of the crankcase due to a clogged PCV pathway. Perhaps the vented FC219 oil filler cap would prevent collapsed oil filters as well as hopefully preventing a rear main oil seal blowout in freezing temps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply garagerog. This vehicle is not driven much and only has 32,000 miles on it. I let the dealer do the first oil change and I did the rest from there and I noticed this at 5000 miles so unlikely a pcv issue. I can see this as a possible problem as the system gets clogged with increased pressure. I do have the AC Delco vented cap installed but still have same issue. My main concern is if this is happening during normal operation and oil is bypassing filter, how or can this be corrected and can it be determined it is during normal operation or collapsing or deforming during removal.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
My main concern is if this is happening during normal operation and oil is bypassing filter, how or can this be corrected and can it be determined it is during normal operation or collapsing or deforming during removal.
I guess I would try opening it up at various intervals : 500, 1000, 1500 miles ...etc ... to see when it's starting to deform ... or would this be a "no-no" with these cartridge filters (because maybe you shouldn't "re-install" with the same O-Ring?).

Personally, I would definitely give it a try, but keep a close eye on it, too, to make sure it's not leaking after each re-install (and have a brand-new spare ready in case it does).

Reactions: Pistol Pete

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
430 Posts
Pete, when you replace the filter, do you attach it to the filter cap and drop it in as a unit, cap and filter? Or do you drop the filter in, then replace the cap? If it's the latter perhaps the filter isn't seating properly on the cap and gets deformed when the cap is tightened down. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I do not have any photos but I cannot be the only one that has noticed this. It is the correct filter and is a paper element only. No canister. Do not like the setup as the filter is on top of the motor. Snap filter on plastic cap, install new o-ring and screw untill it stops. Installed improperly and a fire is likely due to location on top of motor. I only use AC Delco replacement parts on all my vehicles. Several changes in the 2.4 from 2008 to 2012 with introduction of GDI. I have always changed my oil on my cars for 40 plus years and have never seen this happen even on a 1964 327 with a paper element. Of course it was located where it should be on the bottom of the motor. Collapsed, deformed or a change in the structure of the filter from installation to removal if it is happening during operation will allow oil to bypass filtration which we all know is unacceptable.
In addtion - - -
There are two types of those paper filter cartridges that GM uses in cars and trucks. One is for the "Hengst" brand filter housing/oil cooler that might be used, the other is UFI.

I've noticed that some stores oil filter reference books are incorrect. If you buy the wrong filter is will not work correctly and crush . . . plus, not really filter the oil the way it should.

Font Camera lens Cameras & optics Circle Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
@JayTee2014 : I don't know if you can trust Amazon dimensions, but they're saying #63 is .23" taller and .18" larger in diameter (than #57)? Maybe that extra height is due to that protruding spring-loaded piece at the top of #63, but it fully compresses down below the level of the (4) locking clips when you attach it to the cap ... or not? And maybe the extra diameter doesn't matter?

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
430 Posts
Pete, only other thought I have is perhaps the sourcing for the AC-Delco filters you've been using. Have you been getting them from a reputable source such as the dealer or Rock Auto? Certain on-line sellers you may run the risk of getting a cheap Chinese knock-off.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
In addtion - - -
There are two types of those paper filter cartridges that GM uses in cars and trucks. One is for the "Hengst" brand filter housing/oil cooler that might be used, the other is UFI.

I've noticed that some stores oil filter reference books are incorrect. If you buy the wrong filter is will not work correctly and crush . . . plus, not really filter the oil the way it should.

View attachment 18175
Right you are.
The main difference is in the filter bypass valve.
One has the valve in the filter, and the other has the valve in the filter housing.

The 2018 Encore Owners Manual is also printed wrong.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Correct Pete, those filters fit "SOME" GM Turbo 4 cyl engines.
Like my 2018 Encore, which can come with two different 1.4L Turbo engines.
A good heads up for GM owners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is good info rednox301 for the late model turbo owners and can see how someone would get or install the wrong filter. I called it a collapsed filter but the correct terminology is premature filter fatigue. That coming from Hengst filters. I think I may try another brand to see if I get the same results.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No. Not a drop. I keep it fresh knowing the history of these engines. Are these engines so bad that excessive blow by is present from the get go?. I noticed this when I did my first oil change at 5000 miles. Dealer did the first one at 2500 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Excessive blow by, fuel dilution of the oil, inferior internal engine parts, terrible pcv system, premature oil filter fatigue or collapsed oil filter are all recipes for disaster. This is how GM thanks us for the bailout of 2008. This motor is right there with the 72 Vega motor as the worst GM has ever produced.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I bought and drove a 1974 Chevy Vega GT for 3 years and 88,000 miles with really no oil burning. I did change oil every 3K miles. Oil was much cheaper then.
I actually "made" money on that car since I was getting $0.18 per mile on my expense account for work. I could get 33 to 36 MPG in that Vega with manual 4 speed tranny.
Well. . at least I was able to pay for half of a new car with half the cash I was able to save.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts