GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 V6 1LT 700 miles: Odd, subtle, continuous noise at idle

I don't THINK this is anything to be worried about, but it just seems odd to me (I've never heard such a noise before with any vehicle I've ever owned): Ever since brand new, whenever the engine is at idle (and probably whenever the engine is running), I can hear what sounds like 'jackhammering off in the distance', or a helicopter-like propeller noise. It's continuous ... maybe at a 5-10 Hz rate. First time I noticed it (with the radio off and the windows up), I started looking around because I thought there was construction going on nearby. It's not like lifter noise from the engine. It's not metallic-sounding. It's more plastic-sounding, and I don't think it's a fan blade noise.

Anybody else notice this sound at idle?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is it like a ticking? The fuel injectors tick a lot due to direct injection

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I GUESS you could call it a 'ticking' sound, but to me, 'ticking' implies a metallic-like noise (lifters, for example).

This is more of a subtle 'popping' noise. You can almost emulate it by filling your cheeks with air, pursing your lips as if to kiss, then rapidly forcing very short bursts of air past your lips. That's the best way I think I can describe the sound.

I guess it IS attibutable to the direct injection. This is my first DI engine. Just sounded odd to me...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Wow, that is the best description of the DI noise I've ever heard.

You are right. Its the DI. If you can pop the hood and have someone give it gas, you will be able to hear it for good. :D

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh - I can hear it good enough inside the car at idle. No problem there.

So tell me ... did you try to emulate the sound using the technique I described? ;D

When i get a chance, I'll provide two sound bytes ... a recording of the actual sound, and another with me using the method I described. Then we can have a vote to see how many people get it right ...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Yea, you can hear the DI at idle in the Thetas. They just didnt try to hide the sound like they have on the new Regal. Kind of sad but considering the extra costs between the Regal and Nox/Terrain its understandable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts