GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
e.
Davek said:
Yes it is Jay Tee.. and amazing the one timers that pop in for the 5 comment max never to be heard from again. Dodging questions and all.. also concerning those who may look at this vehicle and think not to but based on the comments.. not looking at thee fine folks we have here for longevity.

You he a good weekend also! And everyone else
I'm hardly a one timer, I've been a member of this forum since may 2011 before I bought my car new. Due to time constraints I haven't been here in a while and cannot recover my original login for some reason. My vehicles are meticulously maintained and service recommendations followed. I"m 56 years old there is no racing or abuse involved in my driving habits. I bought this car for comfort and fuel economy after I decided I know longer needed a Tundra. My big problem is gm's lack of interest in repairing this car, and their unwillingness to even check for a problem if there is no check engine light or malfunction code generated. The problems with these engines have been going on for a very long time now and more is known than we are led to believ

My car has been in the shop more in the last few years than ANY vehicle I've owned, in fact none of my cars with the exception of a 1984 thunderbird come anywhere close in shop time.

When someones first response is poor maintenance and lack of due diligence that person comes of as a little delusional and ignorant. There is a history of problems with this engine, in doubt? look at the true delta forum, too many people with the same problems and the same lack of interest from GM.

·
Banned
5 Posts
JayTee2014 said:
Appreciate the support guys. . .. as said, these forums are mostly comments and personal opinion including my own.

That said, observation of previous posts here on the Forum leave a lot of questions in everyone's mind.

Certainly, GM had issues with the earlier 2.4L DI engines, but curiously, not all owners have had issues. It would be great if there were numbers to put to it. There are millions of 2010 to 2013 2.4L engines in use out there. And, as stated in other threads, we seem to get a lot of comments by those who have had problems. That, unfortunately, colors what a person might think about durability since those who are happy and trouble free in experience with their 2.4L engines are the silent majority it seems.

I don't think the poster meant any malice, and it is understandable to be upset and disheartened when a vehicle causes a person fits. It just would be good to know if bad dealer service or lack of proper maintenance also did not play a part in an engine failure.

e.
Davek said:
Yes it is Jay Tee.. and amazing the one timers that pop in for the 5 comment max never to be heard from again. Dodging questions and all.. also concerning those who may look at this vehicle and think not to but based on the comments.. not looking at thee fine folks we have here for longevity.

You he a good weekend also! And everyone else
I'm hardly a one timer, I've been a member of this forum since may 2011 before I bought my car new. Due to time constraints I haven't been here in a while and cannot recover my original login for some reason. My vehicles are meticulously maintained and service recommendations followed. I"m 56 years old there is no racing or abuse involved in my driving habits. I bought this car for comfort and fuel economy after I decided I know longer needed a Tundra. My big problem is gm's lack of interest in repairing this car, and their unwillingness to even check for a problem if there is no check engine light or malfunction code generated. The problems with these engines have been going on for a very long time now and more is known than we are led to believ

My car has been in the shop more in the last few years than ANY vehicle I've owned, in fact none of my cars with the exception of a 1984 thunderbird come anywhere close in shop time.

When someones first response is poor maintenance and lack of due diligence that person comes of as a little delusional and ignorant. There is a history of problems with this engine, in doubt? look at the true delta forum, too many people with the same problems and the same lack of interest from GM.

Everyone have a great weekend. . . . . :cheers:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
With doing refrigeration and helping the family at the shop I hardly have time to look at other sites. I saw you had 5 posts.. we have seen over time many to write a posts or two never to return

I myself change my oil every 5k and check it every 1k for oil levels. I never said you had poor mainten6nor did I say GM hasn't had n issue with a parts vendor. It is evident they have. However I did in fact say I believe people beat the snot out of these vehicles past what they should. For the 4 banger it should not be towing anything. Also as I have personally seen many in Equinoa and Terrain alike pass me and I know they are 4bangers.

I believe the bore was too big and that a design of plastic guides for a timing chain are a bad idea. Yes weaker metals for piston rings were used based off numbers for the old motors.

I meant not to offend you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

My son purchased 6 months ago a 2011 Terrain, last week the engine stalled and left him stranded about 2.5hrs away from home. The Terrain was towed to a shop and was determined that there was no compression due to a broken timing chain, was surprised because chains aren't supposed to break but the mechanic knows more than me so I take his word as good.

Do you know if there's some GM coverage for something like this? We're already working on a solution but will be pricey so investigating about warranty about a know issue is worth the try. The options being considered are a new engine or engine repair, the car has an extended warranty policy so we're playing the waiting game while making payments on the broken car.

Any info that you could provide will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
You can register your vehicle on MyGM.com, and find all of the warrantees, and extended warrantees that apply to your particular vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can register your vehicle on MyGM.com, and find all of the warrantees, and extended warrantees that apply to your particular vehicle.
Just did, thanks.

See some special coverages under warranty, 12313, 14232, 15285, 14710, 15810.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Called MyGMC Warranty to check is there's still some sort of warranty and was told that there were no warranties for your vehicle and recommend bringing it to the dealer for further diagnostics.

If we decide to repair, is this going to happen again?

If we where to replace the engine, what year should be the one we look for?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Hi,
Do you know if there's some GM coverage for something like this? We're already working on a solution but will be pricey so investigating about warranty about a know issue is worth the try. The options being considered are a new engine or engine repair, the car has an extended warranty policy so we're playing the waiting game while making payments on the broken car.
This is the 2.4L engine? I thought that coverage got extended to something like 120,000 miles for 10's and 11's? If not, then I would just look for a cheap, late-model junkyard engine (a '15, '16, or '17) with low miles, throw that in there, and ride on ...

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

A timing chain can break, it's not common but I have seen it.
They usually wear and stretch.
What engine do you have?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Called MyGMC Warranty to check is there's still some sort of warranty and was told that there were no warranties for your vehicle and recommend bringing it to the dealer for further diagnostics.

I put the engine from a 2015 in my 2011, you can see my writeup if you search my username. If it broke a timing change it will probably cost less to swap in a newer engine than patch up one that is that beat up. You are better off with a 2011 like I had than 2010.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Terrain Question

Hi, The guy at work has a 2011 Terrain, and it has completely broke down. He took it to a mechanic who said there is no compression and timing chain has failed. He is offering me the vehicle really cheap and I feel confident I can change the timing chain? How often has it completely taken out the entire engine?

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Hi, The guy at work has a 2011 Terrain, and it has completely broke down. He took it to a mechanic who said there is no compression and timing chain has failed. He is offering me the vehicle really cheap and I feel confident I can change the timing chain? How often has it completely taken out the entire engine?

I believe that your time and money would be much better spent putting in a newer salvage yard engine. You are just putting a band-aid on a broken arm. Get a new arm !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Timing Chain and engine powered off

Hi,

We are devastated with the problems we have had with our 2011 Terrain. We had the timing chain done August, of 2018. We had to take it back and was told, "A part was defective," and it was replaced. When I would hear noises, I was told, " I needed an oil change or I was low on oil." Often times I would lose power when driving. Giving the impression there was water in the gas that had been purchased. I had a oil change in January of 2019. The oil was checked on January 26, 2019, because I heard that noise again. It showed plenty of oil. Needless to say on January 29, 2019. The dashboard readings were strange but it finally read, "engine powered off." When I called the auto
mechanics. The first thing that asked, "Did you check the oil." Of course it was towed. Oil was on the ground and all up under the vehicle. The mechanics said, "They had never seen anything like that before." There telling us, that a valve on the engine failed. We also were told, " Automotive Stats," are coming in to them about GMCs engines failing on the Terrain and other GMCs vehicles.

I have not found any reports of GMC recalls on these major problems with their vehicles. If any one have any information. Please make it known.

However, to date, we have a disabled vehicle and no way to purchase another one.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Oil was on the ground and all up under the vehicle. The mechanics said, "They had never seen anything like that before." There telling us, that a valve on the engine failed.
Hope its not the famous Rear Main Seal failure (due to the famous clogged PCV).

Your engine doesn’t want to be famous for *that*...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a 4 cylinder 2011 terrian been to gmc dealer more than 80 times.First it was the low oil all the time which they new some of the engines had bad rings but they told my wife a new car burns more oil so after many oil consumption checks got a new motor. Then the noise came right when I picked it up and brought car back in many more times and gmc tried to tell me it was the transmission or replaced exhaust manifold a couple of times..Well 50,000 miles later after being so frustrated with them and the noise which was a rattle when the car warmed up went to a Chevy dealership and they found the problem in one day. It was the oriffice hole they had drilled out to 9/64 from 1/16 causing increased vacume which also sucked in valve cover seal and front crank seal. They replaced the intake manifold and drilled it to proper size and the noise was gone after having it for many years all the time with no help from GMC.Good car but to many problems and no answers or help from corporate.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts