GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just going to post this here so that other people may see the record of issues.

We purcahsed a 2011 4cly Terrain for my wife roughly 8 months ago with 36k miles on it. Everything looked and sounded good at that time.

The whole reason for the purchase was the EPA MPG estimates. She traded in a Trailblazer SS that was averaging roughly 16 mpg so the thought of almost doubling that was very appealing.

After a few months of her driving it she complained that it didn't seem to be getting the MPGs she thought it would. The indicated MPG on the dash was 21. We ran a few tanks through it and got a calculated 19.

Around the same time, I started noticing a loud rattling sound on start up when I was outside the car.

I then scheduled an appointment with the local dealer to have it checked out. They diagnosed a timing chain issue and replaced it. This was at around 40k miles.

Now we are at 44k and just yesterday I heard the worst rattling, clanging sound on start up. It sounded like the motor was coming apart. As soon as the rpm's stabilized it cleared up and sounded fine.

Soo we are scheduled to go back to the dealer for another timing chaiinand I am very seriously thinking about just trading the thing in and being done with it. I know it has warranty until 100k, but I don't want it to throw the timing chain and leave my wife and 11 month old son stranded on the side of the road.

Anyway, I will update this once we hear what they say.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's not the timing chain, check the oil. I'll bet diamonds to donuts that it is low. The dealer will probably ask for an oil change and then a oil consumption test. If you have had an oil change recently, don't have it changed, have then top it off and start the test but, have them check the spark plugs. If you are burning oil, it'll show on the plugs.

If it shows on the plugs, demand an engine inspection and if they find zebra strips on the cylinder walls, a new engine is needed along with the exhaust system. Call GM and file a notice with them at 800-462-8782, have your VIN for the vehicle.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
goobnav said:
If it shows on the plugs, demand an engine inspection and if they find zebra strips on the cylinder walls, a new engine is needed along with the exhaust system. Call GM and file a notice with them at 800-462-8782, have your VIN for the vehicle.
Why do they also replace the exhaust ? Is the Cat shot, and they go for everything while they are at it ?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RIT333 said:
Why do they also replace the exhaust ? Is the Cat shot, and they go for everything while they are at it ?
The Cat indeed, burning 4 quarts of oil between services is going to foul the converter up eventually. Shorten the life of it substantially.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
dblack said:
I am just going to post this here so that other people may see the record of issues.

We purcahsed a 2011 4cly Terrain for my wife roughly 8 months ago with 36k miles on it. Everything looked and sounded good at that time.

The whole reason for the purchase was the EPA MPG estimates. She traded in a Trailblazer SS that was averaging roughly 16 mpg so the thought of almost doubling that was very appealing.

After a few months of her driving it she complained that it didn't seem to be getting the MPGs she thought it would. The indicated MPG on the dash was 21. We ran a few tanks through it and got a calculated 19.

Around the same time, I started noticing a loud rattling sound on start up when I was outside the car.

I then scheduled an appointment with the local dealer to have it checked out. They diagnosed a timing chain issue and replaced it. This was at around 40k miles.

Now we are at 44k and just yesterday I heard the worst rattling, clanging sound on start up. It sounded like the motor was coming apart. As soon as the rpm's stabilized it cleared up and sounded fine.

Soo we are scheduled to go back to the dealer for another timing chaiinand I am very seriously thinking about just trading the thing in and being done with it. I know it has warranty until 100k, but I don't want it to throw the timing chain and leave my wife and 11 month old son stranded on the side of the road.

Anyway, I will update this once we hear what they say.
Dblack,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your 2011 Terrain. I am glad to hear you have it at the dealership for repairs. If you need any assistance please just let us know. Thank you.

Erica Tiffany
GMC Customer Service

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same symptoms with the noises and all, and I am supposed to pick up the car from the service center today with a new timing chain. We brought in because of a rough idle and stalling issues, which they couldn't reproduce, but do to the diesel like noises the engine was making they replaced the timing chain. Our mpg was low too even though my wife has a very light foot. However, I haven't had to add any oil between oil changes, I do run Mobile 1 Syn, but don't think that would have anything to do with it. Hope the timing chain fixes it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
THE new timing chain worked good for me for a week or two then a lot of stalling and aprox 16 mpg h-way but since it did not show any codes GM kept saying they cant do anything , :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:Good luck , I got so fed up traded for a new 2013 nox with no help from GM I will trade in about a year for a Japanese car and never buy a GM car again every company has a lemen from time to time BUT what maters is how they take care of it GM failed. :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just bought a 2012 GMC Terrain 3 months ago. It started making a rattling pretty bad so I brought it in to a GMC dealer. They called and told me on a Thursday that it was the timing chain and it will be done on Friday afternoon. Great! I called them to see when I could pick it up as they have had it for 4 days and we really wanted to get our car back. He informed me that they replaced the timing chain but now cannot get the vehicle to stay running so they will have to pull the top off of the motor to see what else is going on. UGH! This was the first time in the last 4 cars we bought for my wife that we bought used, and boy I am starting to think that was a bad mistake. Even after they fix it I am always going to be worried. Was it done right? Did they do the bare minimum and now I will have a problem down the road? Does not leave me with a very good feeling. I am stressed to the max since trading it isnt an option since we just bought it!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
So let me get this straight. It started and ran when you took it in? If the answer Is yes.. then I sure hope the mechanic doing the job lined up all the points right.. even on tooth off will do what it's doing..I don't know either they didn't finish the job yet and are stalling or they have an issue to work out. But just be patient..nothing is instant not evendors coffee or rice. I know you want your wheels back. But let them go over it with a fine tooth comb. Let them make sure it's right. If it's not take it to another dealership. You should be covered I am assumingm. How many miles?

·
Banned
5 Posts
Rit said:
Oh it's the timing chain, I've had three since November 2015, there is something really wrong with these engines.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Late 2013 and 2014 onward 2.4L engines have not had "problems" such as this. Nothing wrong with these engines. And there are also owners here on the Forum of 2010 and 2011 2.4L equipped vehicles that have +50K and over +100K miles on them with no issues.

And GM has extended warranty coverage to cover repairs. Whether your dealer and you were diligent in taking advantage of the extended warranties and proper and thorough repairs is another matter. . . .Assuming also that routine maintenance such as fluid changes were done at or earlier than the recommended intervals with the proper oil, etc. And that other abuse did not take place.

·
Banned
5 Posts
JayTee2014 said:
Late 2013 and 2014 onward 2.4L engines have not had "problems" such as this. Nothing wrong with these engines. And there are also owners here on the Forum of 2010 and 2011 2.4L equipped vehicles that have +50K and over +100K miles on them with no issues.

And GM has extended warranty coverage to cover repairs. Whether your dealer and you were diligent in taking advantage of the extended warranties and proper and thorough repairs is another matter. . . .Assuming also that routine maintenance such as fluid changes were done at or earlier than the recommended intervals with the proper oil, etc. And that other abuse did not take place.
GM has not extended warranty repairs on all vehicles and there are part warranties but labor is not covered. You assume poor maintenance and a lack of diligence by the owner, makes you sound a little like a shill for GM

·
Registered
15 Posts
rushsukz said:
GM has not extended warranty repairs on all vehicles and there are part warranties but labor is not covered. You assume poor maintenance and a lack of diligence by the owner, makes you sound a little like a shill for GM
What are your oil change intervals? Have you owned your car since new?

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
rushsukz said:
Never assumed anything. You assumed I stated it occurred.

I just stated what we have seen here on the Forum from other posters with engine issues. For instance, one recent poster stated that he bought the vehicle and had not changed the engine oil for over 21,000 miles. Then complained of engine issues in his vehicle.

Many come here and there is no way to verify whether they have or have not been diligent in the vehicle maintenance nor gotten proper repairs done by whatever dealer they took said vehicle to.

·
Registered
247 Posts
JayTee is anything but a shill for GM. He has always provided sound advice and, like everyone else here, can only provide an opinion based on the info the poster puts in his query. And unlike most other users, JayTee backs up his opinions with supporting data.

For the record, I had a 2010 I4 SLT that had timing chain replaced and I faithfully changed oil and never abused the vehicle. As some have said, it is a known issue but didn't affect every vehicle.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I want people on here to be honest.. honest in how they drive.. do you smash the gas pedal to race to the next red light? Do people keep up on oil changes.. and not by the indicator on the dash.. man I don't get it.. my 2011 has 70k on it now.. I drive it like a normal person.. it does not go over 3k rpm.. it may have seen 4k once or twice since I have owned it. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic and fram full synthetic filter. I change my oil every 5k. I just don't think all is on GM.. yes to a degree.. but I really believe some of this is on operator error too!
JAY TEE IS AND HAS BEEN AN ABUNDANCE OF INFO SINCE HE HAS COME ABOARD TO THIS SITE.. IF YOU DON'T RESPECT HIM.. THEN WALK AWAY! HE ALWAYS IS THERE TO HELP NOT HURT.. THE MAN DOSE GOOD IN ALL HE HAS WRITTEN..

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Appreciate the support guys. . .. as said, these forums are mostly comments and personal opinion including my own.

That said, observation of previous posts here on the Forum leave a lot of questions in everyone's mind.

Certainly, GM had issues with the earlier 2.4L DI engines, but curiously, not all owners have had issues. It would be great if there were numbers to put to it. There are millions of 2010 to 2013 2.4L engines in use out there. And, as stated in other threads, we seem to get a lot of comments by those who have had problems. That, unfortunately, colors what a person might think about durability since those who are happy and trouble free in experience with their 2.4L engines are the silent majority it seems.

I don't think the poster meant any malice, and it is understandable to be upset and disheartened when a vehicle causes a person fits. It just would be good to know if bad dealer service or lack of proper maintenance also did not play a part in an engine failure.

Everyone have a great weekend. . . . . :cheers:

·
Registered
270 Posts
wait, gonna go buy a car from japan lol. ive got tears in my eyes from laughing. ask my mother about her toyota, and the recall on the airbag. shes been waiting over a year!! never have the parts in stock for the repair, and they keep sending out notices. whats that you say, call toyota, we did... response... just put passengers in the back seat and all will be ok!! Yeah, go buy one... heck do what bubba smith did in police academy.. pull the front seats out and sit in the back!! ive owned many a car and truck, from many a make and model, and gm has BELieVE IT OR NOT handled my issues the best.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yes it is Jay Tee.. and amazing the one timers that pop in for the 5 comment max never to be heard from again. Dodging questions and all.. also concerning those who may look at this vehicle and think not to but based on the comments.. not looking at thee fine folks we have here for longevity.

You he a good weekend also! And everyone else

1 - 20 of 36 Posts