GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have a 2011 SLE 2 with the I4.
I want to install a tow hitch and do the following. please let me know if it will work

I want to tow a 1997 BMW Z3 on a car dolly.
I want to tow it about 700 miles.
Will my I4 terrain be able to do this without concerns??

please let me know.

thanks,
2xcapers

·
Registered
533 Posts
How much does the car weigh? I wouldn't suggest going over the recommended weight limit. I don't feel like the 4 banger can handle more than that safely. For once it's the engine that's the problem not the drivetrain. Lol. I mean unless its a stripped down car, you're gonna be at the very lease double the limit and approaching the V6's limit even.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
2xcapers said:
Hi folks,

I have a 2011 SLE 2 with the I4.
I want to install a tow hitch and do the following. please let me know if it will work

I want to tow a 1997 BMW Z3 on a car dolly.
I want to tow it about 700 miles.
Will my I4 terrain be able to do this without concerns??

please let me know.NO maximum weight would be 1000 lbs without trailer brakes 1500 with brakes Its in your manual

thanks,
2xcapers

·
Registered
682 Posts
Max towing capacity of the I4 is 1500lbs you would be well over that with the car and dolly.
It is just not the power to pull, it is having the brakes to stop the added weight.
I have seen tractor trailer units that have rolled because of the trailer brakes not working and the tractors brakes where not enough to hold the load back.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Default User said:
stupid question - does the 1500lb capacity include passengers in the vehicle?
No.. For the L4 engine FWD with trailer brakes, the total weight of vehicle and everything in it plus trailer and everything in it is 5787Lbs.
L4 FWD without trailer brakes is 5071Lbs.. Won't take much to get to either one of these weights.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Too much weight without trailer brakes as previously stated.
HP wise with 184HP 2.4L. We used to haul an 8000lb trailer with a 350 four barrel making 148HP and thought we were doing good in the mid 1980's.
Better to stay with the trailer hitch and drawbar as protection for the rear bumper from other drivers who park by feel.
Ok to haul a garden tractor or such .
Depends on 2WD or AWD. The AWD doesn't squirm like the FWD if pulling hard on poor traction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts