GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our 2011 Terrain and i have a MAJOR issue...
Can the gate close on you if it is closed and you are under it? Because mine did!
I called the dealer and he says "there is a sensor, and if it hit something it will open" Well, Mine did not! I also feel it should have a sensor to stop from closing if someone is under it not only by hitting the door..
I am really only concerned for when we have a child and if he/she got caught under it...

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
It will, if you try to stop it when closing it will stop and open back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
No there is not, it like all these type of door... trunk or minivan door... when it detect a hit, it goes back.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I would imagine the motor would have a torque sensor in it. When there is abnormal resistance (someone being pinched) the current to the motor increases and a sensor in the motor would detect this and have a set trip point.
Can anyone confirm this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,396 Posts
mmarges said:
I would imagine the motor would have a torque sensor in it. When there is abnormal resistance (someone being pinched) the current to the motor increases and a sensor in the motor would detect this and have a set trip point.
Can anyone confirm this?
I have found that it takes quite a bit of resistance to stop it. Don't know if it can be adjusted, but quite frankly, I think it could hurt a little child pretty easily. I was very surprised also, the 1st time I tried to stop it mid-way. Never though about little kids, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Never thought about the kids, thanks for pointing that out!
Personally, I thought the torque sensor was set too low because when overstuffing the cargo area, sometimes a grocery bag is all it takes to keep it from closing.

A motion sensor or "light curtain" under the liftgate is a great idea.
GM are you listening?



http://www.machineguardsolutions.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the only solution is to shut off the remote door control?

i think this is a MAJOR flaw in design on GMCs part and will be calling them, this should be a recall and they should come out with a fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
It's not a flaw from gm, they are all like that.

lonald said:
So the only solution is to shut off the remote door control?

i think this is a MAJOR flaw in design on GMCs part and will be calling them, this should be a recall and they should come out with a fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
It did not take that much to stop my rear hatch when I tried it tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
It doesn't take much to stop it that's true, but good idea to keep small children away from it while using the remote IMO.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
gearhead said:
A motion sensor or "light curtain" under the liftgate is a great idea.
GM are you listening?
One of the products I sell in my job are these safety light curtains. They're expensive, a 36" lenth can easily can easily cost $2000. Even an OEM hi volume system resessed & integrated into the opening of the hatch would be impractical and costly. A couple thru beams might help but unless you have a whole lot of them the obstacle might not be blocking the beam.

The torque sensor on the motor is the proper way to sense a pinch but it seems there is inconsistency on the trip points. The other day I open my hatch but it was frozen from the ice and cold and man o man did that motor sound like it was winding up in to orbit before it gave up and cut out.

I not so much worried of the door closing "down" on a child because usually you're there and the one who activated it. I'm worried about opening the hatch and on the outside pinching a kid up against the garage door or wall.

Has anyone tested if the hatch will not open if the ultrasonic sensors sense you're too close and not enough full clearence to your garage door or a wall?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
mmarges said:
One of the products I sell in my job are these safety light curtains. They're expensive, a 36" lenth can easily can easily cost $2000. Even an OEM hi volume system resessed & integrated into the opening of the hatch would be impractical and costly. A couple thru beams might help but unless you have a whole lot of them the obstacle might not be blocking the beam.

The torque sensor on the motor is the proper way to sense a pinch but it seems there is inconsistency on the trip points. The other day I open my hatch but it was frozen from the ice and cold and man o man did that motor sound like it was winding up in to orbit before it gave up and cut out.

I not so much worried of the door closing "down" on a child because usually you're there and the one who activated it. I'm worried about opening the hatch and on the outside pinching a kid up against the garage door or wall.

Has anyone tested if the hatch will not open if the ultrasonic sensors sense you're too close and not enough full clearence to your garage door or a wall?
I showed the wife this thread this morning and told her to be careful if using the remote to operate the liftgate with kids around.
She agrees that's a good idea.

The liftgte opens when the ultrasonic transducers are being "made"., i.e. they sense something there.

I agree light curtains are expensive, but it could be some "through beams" instead as stated in a criss cross pattern for example.
Something would be better than nothing, when concerned with safety.
OEM pricing should be relatively cheap.
There's really nothing to them except for an IR or RED LED transmitter, fiber optic cable and receiver...peanuts when purchased seperately.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
You will lose a lot of space in the cargo using this type of through beam... and the door will refuse to close the moment you have something that go a little in the way....

The only real thing is to check yourself if anything goes well when using the electric door.

If you don't want to check, well it's not the gm's fault, it's yours. Stop using that feature, turn it off, that's all !
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Plus, the engineering and tooling changes to the body stamping so it sits recessed, the electrical wiring ect...would cost a fortune.

Maybe tomorrow I'm going top lay half way in to the cargo area across the bumper and purposely pinch myself....just wondering how much force it really gives before backing off.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
931 Posts
mmarges said:
Plus, the engineering and tooling changes to the body stamping so it sits recessed, the electrical wiring ect...would cost a fortune.

Maybe tomorrow I'm going top lay half way in to the cargo area across the bumper and purposely pinch myself....just wondering how much force it really gives before backing off.
Hey..Great idea..!! ;D
Be sure and report back.......... 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
lonald said:
We just got our 2011 Terrain and i have a MAJOR issue...
Can the gate close on you if it is closed and you are under it? Because mine did!
I called the dealer and he says "there is a sensor, and if it hit something it will open" Well, Mine did not! I also feel it should have a sensor to stop from closing if someone is under it not only by hitting the door..
I am really only concerned for when we have a child and if he/she got caught under it...

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

thanks!
Sounds like you dont have a child yet, so I wouldn't be worried by the time you do have one and its old enough to be around that liftgate on its own the darn thing proably won't be working anymore...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
While i do not have children yet, they could be on the way.....
Anyway, GM could have put a motion sensor similar to what you would have in a home on the door, which would be a simple fix. It it sensces motion it doesn't close...
I actually think the Lincon Navigator and the Benz GL have this feature....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
lonald said:
While i do not have children yet, they could be on the way.....
Anyway, GM could have put a motion sensor similar to what you would have in a home on the door, which would be a simple fix. It it sensces motion it doesn't close...
I actually think the Lincon Navigator and the Benz GL have this feature....
Have you priced one of those vehicles? I'm sure it's not as simple as putting a garage door sensor on it if it is..go to a yard sale and find a old garage door opener and install it on your vehicle It will give you peace of mind...
I'm sure the design of this feature meets safty standards...Maybe they should put side cameras along the vehicle incase a child is standing in traffic lane trying to open the rear door. a alarm will sound and your key fob will vibrate and your phone will ring and your computer will tell you "you have kid in traffic lane trying to enter vehicles
I'm thinking a little parental responsibility is in order ...In other words Watch your kids don't rely on GM to do it
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top