GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2011 GMC Terrain with a V6 with less than 1000 miles. I have noticed several times when turning or sometimes when slowing down it is reluctant to downshift. A second or two later after depressing the accelerator, it will downshift but this is very annoying. Is this common? Is there a "Service Bulletin" on this problem? Anyone have any advice. I have not approached the dealer yet.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
2281LARRY said:
I have an 2011 GMC Terrain with a V6 with less than 1000 miles. I have noticed several times when turning or sometimes when slowing down it is reluctant to downshift. A second or two later after depressing the accelerator, it will downshift but this is very annoying. Is this common? Is there a "Service Bulletin" on this problem? Anyone have any advice. I have not approached the dealer yet.
That's why we "pay" for the warranty - take it in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine does this too, I have a little over 500 miles on it. I am not bothering to take it in, the vehicle was manufactured in December, so I am doubt they have had a software update yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know where your coming from with this transmission shift you are having.. When I come off of certain roads daily and its just how I drive no matter what I will feel the car downshift as I am about to hit the gas which kinda jerks the car from downshifting to get up and go. I drove 4 F-150s from age 15 to 23 and now that Im 24 with a Terrain Im still not used to the car downshifting like this one does. Plus going from V8s to a V6 has been night and day with the way the transmission shifts. I gotta say this is how the Terrain / Nox is and the car will learn your driving style as you put miles on it and hopefully you can get used to the transmission also. Sorry to say that this is not a tech issue its how the Terrain is..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Funny, I think is the most downshifting trans I've ever owned. It seems like you just have to breath on the peddle and its downshifting. I'm used to really have to push on the gas to get other GM automatics to downshift.

When coming to a stop, you can feel it downshifting. Almost like it has a shift kit in it. I'm assuming the pressure is up on these tranny's to feel each downshift.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's a 6 speed transmission, so it's going to be very busy no matter what.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They should go back to 4 and 5 speeds. The powertrain engineers are obviously clueless on how to make a 6 spd FWD trans shift properly. I read somewhere they want to go to 7 and 8 speeds next.

Someone needs to grab the powertrain engineers by the mullett and say - a transmission is supposed to be hardly noticeable, not the most annoying thing on the vehicle!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Each engine/tranny combo requires a different driving style and takes some getting used to. I've owned I4's, I6's, V6's and V8's with 4, 5 and now 6 speed trannies both auto and manual...and they all are different in some way. I know several people are downsizing from large trucks/SUV's for the first time and are not only experiencing their first 6 speed transmission, but also their first 4cyl. Inline 4's make their peak power/torque at higher rpm's than 6 or 8 cylinder engines and have to be driven accordingly, and the same to a lesser degree with a V6 vs a V8...and 6 speed trannies have 1-2 more gears than most of us are used to so there will be more shifting going on. Reluctance to downshift has to do with the fact that the factory programming favors fuel economy over performance. Like someone already mentioned, these new transmissions are computer controlled and will learn your driving style after a while.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Well said, NoobNox ! Before you complain about the tranny, read his post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When the competition makes 6 speeds that are not annoying. And Consumers Reports lists for the Equinox/Terrain under "Lows" - Transmission .... there is work to be done to improve the thing. It's not just a matter of getting use to it.

My parents had a GMC Acadia and wanted to do a lot of retiree travelling with it. after 4 transmission reprogrammings, not to mention the cylinder heads and cams replaced, they traded it in for a Lexus SUV. They now rave about how great is shifts. Dealer also tried to convince them to - get use to it and learn how to drive it differently... No uh ah. Make it better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied. I am going to the dealer about the problem. I just wanted to run it by you.
Thanks again.

2281Larry

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I am glad to hear that you are working with your local dealership to have this issue resolved. Please feel free to keep me up to date with any new developments in regards to the fix. You can contact me either on the forum or by private message. Hope to hear from you soon.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts