GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Equipment Installed

Rear Doors: MB Quart PVI 164 6.5" Mid Bass Drivers w/ Crossover
Front Doors / Front Pillars: MB Quart PVF 213 5.25" Mid Bass Driver 1.6" Tweeter
JL Audio 10" Subwoofer to replace stock 8" Sub. JL Makes a nice drop in replacement for this so I'm not losing any storage space (Google SB-GM-EQNX/10W1v2)
Alpine MRP-M500 Amp for the Sub
Alpint PDX-4.150 For Drivers & Tweeters

The key to do doing this setup was only going to be if I could retain the stock head unit since so much is controlled by it. The Alpine PXE-H660 System Integration Sound Processor was able to do that for me. Run the wires from the stock head unit and this will add in the sub pre-amp outputs that are needed. This is being installed in the center console.

The project is half finished so far so no pictures to really look at yet. All the speakers and amps are installed along w/ the majority of wiring. The next step is deciphering the wiring under the dash for the speakers since I have to 'intercept' the signal from the headunit and send it to the signal processor.

If anyone has pics or documents for the Terrain/Equinox wiring related to the stereo it would be wonderful in finishing the project off, slated for next few weeks when we have a good 6 hours to do it right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Please let me know the details on your install. I have a JL audio setup sitting the garage ready to install. I would love to know any and all details on amp placement, preamp placement and wiring from the radio which is my major headache.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
I am interested too. Granted, I am happy with the overall sound quality of the Pioneer system. The only thing I am disappointed in the the power/volume of the stereo.

I would like to maybe add a couple amps in the future. Of course, if I go that route, I may end up upgrading speakers and sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Jd2k2003 said:
If anyone has pics or documents for the Terrain/Equinox wiring related to the stereo it would be wonderful in finishing the project off, slated for next few weeks when we have a good 6 hours to do it right.
Perhaps this will help.[/color]
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ck1622 said:
Please let me know the details on your install. I have a JL audio setup sitting the garage ready to install. I would love to know any and all details on amp placement, preamp placement and wiring from the radio which is my major headache.
The Sub I installed is from JL's stealthbox line. I took off the back panel where the existing sub is and dropped in the Stealthbox. Everything I'm doing is meant to be a 'drop in replacement' for stock since I'm past the age of wanting to rattle my car apart but am looking for decent sound.

Amps are installed on the back of the rear passenger seat. Power is a 2gauge power cable from battery run under the car and through a hole we drilled in the Spare Tire compartment which is has the distribution block as well. That foam around the tire though is nice for leading wires, just cut some paths and call it good.

Crossovers are under the Driver and Passenger seat with the cabling from the amps run around the back of the rear seats and through the lower door panel plastics. With the seats back half way or more the wiring is not visible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jstpsntym said:
I am interested too. Granted, I am happy with the overall sound quality of the Pioneer system. The only thing I am disappointed in the the power/volume of the stereo.

I would like to maybe add a couple amps in the future. Of course, if I go that route, I may end up upgrading speakers and sub.
The Alpine PXE-H660 is a wonderful way to go to keep the factory head unit. Takes a few hours to wire in and gives you the ability for 6 channels + 1 subwoofer channel. Mine unfortunately had some issues with 2 of the channels not giving output to the RCA and should have a new one in Next Week.

As for volume the initial setup has you put the stock headunit at the highest volume w/ out distortion and that sets the base level for the sound. You can then adjust the sound from the stock headunit and the remote that comes w/ the PXE-H660.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OnxBear said:
Perhaps this will help.[/color]
THANK YOU! The only wiring we have left is with the sub to the Signal Processor. Other than that we are done and will post pics later this week or beginning next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I got the JL clean sweep so I can keep the factory head unit. If you have any HELPFUL tips with taking the dash apart or getting head unit speaker/power wires to the signal processor would be great. I have done some installs before and starting out always seems to the hardest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Hey OnxBear

If you don't mind me asking where do you get these wiring diagrams etc from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ck1622 said:
I got the JL clean sweep so I can keep the factory head unit. If you have any HELPFUL tips with taking the dash apart or getting head unit speaker/power wires to the signal processor would be great. I have done some installs before and starting out always seems to the hardest.
Don't bother taking the 'head unit off'. All the wiring for speakers and radio can be found under the steering wheel. Pop off the plastics, remove the 4 bolts holding the metal piece in place. Splice wires in and go. My Alpine PXE-H660 is going in the center console mounted under the storage thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Wow what a great tip that should be stickied to this forum for all to know. I just need to get the time to start taking things apart and seeing what I need to do. I was really hoping to put the amps somewhere out of sight but I was unable to come up with another place. Thanks again for the wiring tip. Anything else helpful pass it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ck1622 said:
Wow what a great tip that should be stickied to this forum for all to know. I just need to get the time to start taking things apart and seeing what I need to do. I was really hoping to put the amps somewhere out of sight but I was unable to come up with another place. Thanks again for the wiring tip. Anything else helpful pass it on.
I wish I had been able to find a better spot for the amps and crossovers. Hidden space is not really available in the Terrain.

Our first thought was to hide the amps in the lower back panels by the spare tire area but the angle to install wasn't adequate. Taking the Front seats out and mounting underneath was thrown out also because of the little humps and heat/AC ducts (but is enough for the small crossovers of the MB Quarts).

I can't really think of much else to add. System should be all finished later today / tomorrow with the replacement PXE-H660 arriving via UPS this afternoon. After doing further reading though I wish I would have spent the extra $100 and got the bitone ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Jd2k2003 said:
I wish I had been able to find a better spot for the amps and crossovers. Hidden space is not really available in the Terrain.

Our first thought was to hide the amps in the lower back panels by the spare tire area but the angle to install wasn't adequate. Taking the Front seats out and mounting underneath was thrown out also because of the little humps and heat/AC ducts (but is enough for the small crossovers of the MB Quarts).

I can't really think of much else to add. System should be all finished later today / tomorrow with the replacement PXE-H660 arriving via UPS this afternoon. After doing further reading though I wish I would have spent the extra $100 and got the bitone ;)
One of the issues that I have read about when using a sound processor with a factory stereo is the volume control.

How did the Alpine system handle it...is there a separate volume control? Can you still use the volume controls on the steering wheel?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Hey I am installing now...Which set of plugs would be the set for the speakers to splice into them??? Color or number???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
ck1622 said:
Hey I am installing now...Which set of plugs would be the set for the speakers to splice into them??? Color or number???
this!! would love to know this info as im starting my install like tomorrow!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
This is going to be very interesting... I am looking to do this in the near future and it would be nice to come back to this thread and see pics of the install and maybe a step by step guide :thumb: Good luck with the install!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
ck1622 said:
Hey I am installing now...Which set of plugs would be the set for the speakers to splice into them??? Color or number???
With the wiring diagrams linked above, the colors of each wire are listed. D-BU is dark blue, L-BU is light blue, L-GN/BK is light green with black stripe, etc....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Anybody replace the center speaker? I would think that could be an important upgrade point as lots of midrange is centered right there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I work with people everyday who love this vehicle. I love showing the features on this truck. Im located in Houston, TX and if you are looking for the truck, give me a call.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top