GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I asked that question above, and like above poster i could not find a bleed screw. I saw a post and a video that suggested with a cooling system like on the terrain to take the reservoir cap off when the car is cold then start it and let it run for 15 or so minutes to let the air escape then shut the car off and put the cap back on. Is this good advice? I don't know but I did it and it seemed fine.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Rit said:
Kinda like the old Fram commercial, "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later" - but they don't tell you that the later payment is often much higher.
:thumb: - - - Yes. . .. and an "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". - - - - :thumb:

:cheers: - - - - - - - :cheers: - - - - - - - :cheers: - - - - ;D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Daedra said:
I asked that question above, and like above poster i could not find a bleed screw. I saw a post and a video that suggested with a cooling system like on the terrain to take the reservoir cap off when the car is cold then start it and let it run for 15 or so minutes to let the air escape then shut the car off and put the cap back on. Is this good advice? I don't know but I did it and it seemed fine.
I've done that a few times before. The bleed screw is really only about helping fill the system, not so much about burping it. I have a steep driveway, so I can just park facing up, set the brake, and let the engine warm up. Turn the heat on in case you have a valve, and you'll get the air out eventually.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Buggsy said:
I've done that a few times before. The bleed screw is really only about helping fill the system, not so much about burping it. I have a steep driveway, so I can just park facing up, set the brake, and let the engine warm up. Turn the heat on in case you have a valve, and you'll get the air out eventually.

+1
Keep checking the coolant tank every couple of days after and refill as necessary.

·
Registered
431 Posts
When you have your car off for a period of time should the Coolant/Antifrezze be at the "Cold Fill" line?

Mine is abit lower then this.

Thing is, I went to the dealer for a Coolant flush($100) about a year ago.

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Nick24 said:
When you have your car off for a period of time should the Coolant/Antifrezze be at the "Cold Fill" line?

Mine is abit lower then this.

Thing is, I went to the dealer for a Coolant flush($100) about a year ago.
Depends - If your were to check it periodically, say monthly, does it always stay at that level, or has it gotten progressively lower. If it stays at the same level, then you are fine. But, it it gets lower, then you may have a leak either externally, or internally from a bad head gasket.

More than likely, the dealer did not fill it precisely, and you are fine - but best to keep checking to be sure.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
^ ^ ^

Spot on. Plus, the colder it gets, the longer it sits outside in freezing or sub zero weather, the more the coolant will be siphoned into the cold engine block as the coolant cools from the last start/run cycle. The coolant contracts as it cools and volume is reduced since it is a liquid.

As long as the coolant rises into the reservoir to about the Hi mark and then goes down to the Low mark area without getting lower and lower with each cycle it is fine.

In very cold weather and sitting over night or longer, the coolant will likely be below the Low mark to some degree.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Rit said:
Depends - If your were to check it periodically, say monthly, does it always stay at that level, or has it gotten progressively lower. If it stays at the same level, then you are fine. But, it it gets lower, then you may have a leak either externally, or internally from a bad head gasket.

More than likely, the dealer did not fill it precisely, and you are fine - but best to keep checking to be sure.
Hey Rit, its been at the same level for awhile. I would say its 1/4" lower then the Cold Fill Line.

Thanks for your help man, I appropriate it. I like that you give me nice answers back, i've gotten some sarcastic comments towards me from here frm some, but you and JayT guy are nice.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
:cheers:

Thanks and good to hear feedback from you as well!

Nice to know any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
Nick24 said:
Hey Rit, its been at the same level for awhile. I would say its 1/4" lower then the Cold Fill Line.

Thanks for your help man, I appropriate it. I like that you give me nice answers back, i've gotten some sarcastic comments towards me from here frm some, but you and JayT guy are nice.
We try ! We try to help, and we also learn from others. That's the reason for joining a forum. Hopefully, the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So how the heck does the peacock open? I get a quarter turn, but that is it. I tried pushing in and turning as well as pulling it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the Search command, you will be able to find detailed instructions on this forum. I did mine, and didn't replace the thermostat, and I can't recall anyone else doing that as preventative maintenance, Since a faulty thermostat is unlikely to leave you stranded, I would just wait til it goes.

Good luck, and it is not a real tough process.
Hmmm, you sound like an expert. I did some searching and wasn't able to find anything substantial enough to give me the confidence to do it myself. I believe my 2016 Terrain 2.4 has a fully sealed cooling system. I have never actually flushed coolant from one that was fully sealed. Do you have any helpful links? I'm old enough to know how to use Google, btw hehehehehe

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hmmm, you sound like an expert. I did some searching and wasn't able to find anything substantial enough to give me the confidence to do it myself. I believe my 2016 Terrain 2.4 has a fully sealed cooling system. I have never actually flushed coolant from one that was fully sealed. Do you have any helpful links? I'm old enough to know how to use Google, btw hehehehehe
Using the drain petcock can be more of a hassle than it's worth. I just pull off the lower rad. hose, a little more messy but no PITA petcock issues.
Basically just drain out the old and refill with fresh at the proper concentration. I do my fleet at the recommended 5yr/100k and have had zero cooling system repairs. '99 Yukon and '09 2.4 Malibu went 200k miles with no rad. or heater issues. Both even still had OEM hoses when sold running at that mileage. Current '11 Tahoe at 110k and fine BTW.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts