GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2011 Terrain/Equinox I-4 engine...Do you have startup Rattling noise?

• Total voters
141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 Terrain with an I-4 engine, I am up to 85K miles, but the car has been in the shop every year with engine knock and rattling noises. They supposedly fixed the issues with major engine work done, but it always comes back.... Today I got the rattling noises back again with a check engine light with codes P0324 and P0326 knock sensor issues. These cars that have rattling noises are lemons..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: Re: 2011 Terrain/Equinox I-4 engine...Do you have startup Rattling noise?

Dinov,

I think they had issues with getting the replacement parts right. I also had the rattle noise at start up and fuel smell in the oil. I took mine in last September, they replaced the actuators, balance chain, timing chain and fuel pump per the service bulletin with the newest revision parts. I haven't had an issue since. I've been a little extra cautious, check the oil (and smell it to make sure it doesn't smell like gas) every week. So far so good. It does use a little more oil then I feel it should (about a quart every 2500 miles) but I know that's in the "acceptable" range, so I won't let it worry me unless it gets worse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my last resort because I am not getting anywhere with my local Chevrolet dealer.

I purchased my 2011 Chevy Equinox Dec 11 2014. the same day I took it home I have been having issues with it.

First

The dealer never changed the oil and after trying 30 miles from the dealer the car was smoking an leaking oil. There was black oil all over the garage floor. I had to buy oil just to make it back to the dealer. I was informed the there was a crack in the oil filter resulting in the leakage. However if that never happened I would have not known I bought the car with old oil when I was told it was just change.

Second I received the car with the back rear door not working, the door would not open from the inside at the time of purchase I did not know this until I picked up the car to drive home and was given a slip that the part was ordered. I was reluctant to take the car with it not being fixed but I had trusted it would nt be a major issue. That was Dec 11 2014. Today is February 18 2014. the door just got fixed today. That is because I had to several times. I was told the part was not ordered, I was told the part was on back order, and I was told the part was there. I was also told the part was ordered for the wrong side. After my months of frustration I went back to the dealer for the second time and got it straightened out today. the service at this dealer is below standard.

Lastly and most important, the car makes a loud rattling and knocking noise, and hesitates when idling like it is going to stall out on me. I have read over 100's of complaints of the same thing with this vehicle and it being the time chain. I have taken it in to my dealer thre times since December on this issue and every time I am told there is no issue. I know there is something wrong and I fee like I have bought a lemon car. I have not been able to enjoy my car yet.

All the reviews I read consumers said don't let the dealer tell you its the injectors making that noise, and right after I read that post, the dealer called me and said the noise is possibly the injectors. I know that rattling noise is more than what GM is telling me. The service rep said the technicians are not going to take the engine down to look at the timing chain unless they know that is the cause. With all the issues with this vehicle I know that this is what it is. Can you please look into this matter for me and look up a Timing Chain bulletin, identified as ... BULLETIN #12313A DOCUMENT ID #3598753 dated July 2013

·
Registered
63 Posts
dinov said:
I have a 2010 Terrain with an I-4 engine, I am up to 85K miles, but the car has been in the shop every year with engine knock and rattling noises. They supposedly fixed the issues with major engine work done, but it always comes back.... Today I got the rattling noises back again with a check engine light with codes P0324 and P0326 knock sensor issues. These cars that have rattling noises are lemons..
This is spot on. I'm currently sifting through dozens of pages of paperwork on this vehicle. Aside from the engine, the sheer number of recalls and other mechanical issues I've encountered and have had fixed is staggering. Yesterday the wipers quit on me while driving home, so that's next on the list. I feel like I got truly burned buying this car and that as it ages, just becomes more and more of a ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
ScarletSpeedstr said:
This is spot on. I'm currently sifting through dozens of pages of paperwork on this vehicle. Aside from the engine, the sheer number of recalls and other mechanical issues I've encountered and have had fixed is staggering. Yesterday the wipers quit on me while driving home, so that's next on the list. I feel like I got truly burned buying this car and that as it ages, just becomes more and more of a ticking time bomb.

Hello, sorry to hear of your concerns.

When you say "recalls", do you mean safety issues? Because recalls are only issued when it is safety related, not any mechanical or performance concerns.

There are also TSBs, or Technical Service Bulletins. Either way, a recall or TSB should have a number.

So for reference, what are the TSB or Recall numbers you have dealt with on your vehicle? ?

Difficult to assess whether this is valid and of any future value to other readers if they have a concern unless TSB or Recall numbers are given.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had a few of the post cards with the red stop sign that says "recall" on it along with my VIN arrive over the past few years. I believe the most recent had to do with the seats coming loose (G 14271). Aside from those, you're correct, there are the fun letters that also come that outline an issue that some vehicles are experiencing. The two most recent for me are the navigation and oil consumption.

I've had piston and ring replacements completed recently, invoice references "policy" as cause and gives 9900184 as the number. The navigation system has been reflashed three times now, and the cause on at least one invoice is listed as "recall 13322" regardless of how that term is being defined. My catalytic converter was replaced, cause listed as "restricted" with 4050920 as code. Another invoice I have lists an internal failure of the camshaft position actuator solenoid valve which was out of warranty but still covered. Oil life monitor update also listed as a recall on my invoice, C12312. I've had the camshaft timing chains, water pump, and tensioner replaced (again) and the invoice just lists cause as "bulletin." The USB port was replaced, also per bulletin.

Combined, I have 17 pages of line items that were either replaced or repaired on the vehicle.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Wow. . . .

Well, at least the items were covered even after the regular warranty expired.

Yes, GM and most car makers had many issues with the advent of gasoline Direct Injection which placed additional stress on engine components and also required redesign in some cases. Even extended field testing did not catch some of the design weaknesses in many car brands.

Even Mercedes Benz, BMW and other luxury brands had similar drive train and engine issues. Some still do.

It does appear the as of 2013/14 the 2.4L engine is durable and reliable.

Below is an article that just touches on some of the issues modern car engines have had difficulties with. There are many others if you search on the net.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/12/should-you-buy-a-car-with-direct-injection.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
For the most part, the dealership has been good about replacing things and just tossing me the keys. A dealership employee pulled me aside last month and said that off the record I need to get rid of the vehicle ASAP. It's just a shame because as awful of an experiece as the past five years has been, I do genuinely like the vehicle when it is operating. Sadly, I don't think the replacement will be from the GM family. In the end, I also partly blame myself for not getting the V6.

·
Registered
949 Posts
It's been a while for me here - in case anyone ever comes back to check the thread. I went through a GM assisted trade to get OUT of my lemon 2011 Equinox, and traded for a 2012 Equinox. We bought the 2011 Equinox in March of 2011, and heard the first noise on start up sometime around April of 2011 with the first engine stall around May of 2011. It did not become a consistent problem until about August of 2011. Long story short - 4 repair attempts, and I was in my new 2012 Equinox by February of 2012. At the time, it was the most cost effective solution for me.

I've been driving the 2012 Equinox for 5 and a half years now - and almost ZERO problems!! The original battery died after only about 10 months. Dealership replaced it, and that one died after about 2 years. It was no longer under warranty so I went to Sears and got a GOOD battery. (Pro tip - my CD player would always start ejecting the disc while the car was turned OFF, around the time my battery would die. I would get in the car the next morning, and the disc would just be sticking out of the CD player. Didn't make the connection until the second battery failure.) I HAVE gotten a check engine light once - and unfortunately, it WAS for the solenoids. Dealership replaced the solenoids (car still under warranty) and I haven't had any problems since. I have never heard the loud engine start up noise in this car. After the check engine light came on, however, I did have problems with the engine stalling. It would happen every time I drove, until I got to the dealer (was just the following day). I held my breath for quite a while after that...but that was almost two years ago now, and no problems!

The 2010 - 2011's are absolutely a problem child. Seems they certainly made some kind of correction after that.

I hope everyone is doing well!

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's been a while for me here - in case anyone ever comes back to check the thread. I went through a GM assisted trade to get OUT of my lemon 2011 Equinox, and traded for a 2012 Equinox. We bought the 2011 Equinox in March of 2011, and heard the first noise on start up sometime around April of 2011 with the first engine stall around May of 2011. It did not become a consistent problem until about August of 2011. Long story short - 4 repair attempts, and I was in my new 2012 Equinox by February of 2012. At the time, it was the most cost effective solution for me.

I've been driving the 2012 Equinox for 5 and a half years now - and almost ZERO problems!! The original battery died after only about 10 months. Dealership replaced it, and that one died after about 2 years. It was no longer under warranty so I went to Sears and got a GOOD battery. (Pro tip - my CD player would always start ejecting the disc while the car was turned OFF, around the time my battery would die. I would get in the car the next morning, and the disc would just be sticking out of the CD player. Didn't make the connection until the second battery failure.) I HAVE gotten a check engine light once - and unfortunately, it WAS for the solenoids. Dealership replaced the solenoids (car still under warranty) and I haven't had any problems since. I have never heard the loud engine start up noise in this car. After the check engine light came on, however, I did have problems with the engine stalling. It would happen every time I drove, until I got to the dealer (was just the following day). I held my breath for quite a while after that...but that was almost two years ago now, and no problems!

The 2010 - 2011's are absolutely a problem child. Seems they certainly made some kind of correction after that.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Sumr, glad to hear the replacement vehicle worked out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is interesting. I had a 2016 Kia Sportage AWD with a 2.4L engine & it rattled every so often at start up. As with so many of the engines today many car companies use a 2.4L engine I'm wondering if it is something with the configuration.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
yes . . .

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
JayTee - care to educate us on why the 2.4L/ 4 cyl. setup is a poor configuration ?

I guess it did not come across. . it was meant "tongue in cheek". Plus, the poster mentioned nothing about "poor" . . . did I miss that? Seems maybe you inferred that? lol

Too broad a question for any one answer. So I just threw out a broad "yes" answer.:wink:

It was late and time to sleep last night.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts