GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife parked her SRX and thought she turned it off, she actually just turned off the radio. She left it running and came back later to find it running a half hour later. The question is, shouldn't it have stopped after leaving it with key FOB in her possession? We were told by the dealer that if you left the car with it running it would shutoff. All of our other cars have a key so you have to turn them off to get the key.

Denis

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting question. I know that if you remote start the car and don't get in it after a certain amount of time it will automatically shut off. Not sure about simply leaving it running. On a related note, since the radio still plays after you turn the car off (until you open the driver's door), I sometimes find myself listening to the radio after I park and forget to push the button to turn the car off. I then think it is off because I'm used to the radio working after shutting the engine. Fortunately in those situations, when I opened the driver's door I realized the radio was still playing and I hadn't shut the car off yet. But I can easily imagine that someday it won't hit me that the radio is still playing and I'll walk away with the SRX still idling.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would be happy to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also had this happen to me. After I came out of the mall a couple of hours later, I found the car still running in the parking lot. Has never happened again as I now make it a point to assure the car is off before leaving. But, like you, I thought the car would eventually turn off as the key fob moved away, like inside a mall.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Ernesto said:
I also had this happen to me. After I came out of the mall a couple of hours later, I found the car still running in the parking lot. Has never happened again as I now make it a point to assure the car is off before leaving. But, like you, I thought the car would eventually turn off as the key fob moved away, like inside a mall.
Hi Ernesto,

I'm stunned to hear that your vehicle continued running long after you were out of the vicinity. Have you made GM Customer Service aware of this happening? If you'd like for us to document this within our system for future reference we'd be happy to do so. We will just need your name, VIN, mileage and contact information. Feel free to PM us anytime.

Thanks,

Amber N.
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
160 Posts
I bet all of us have done this 'till we get use to pressing the button to turn it off . In my 2010 Luxury , if I get out with fob in hand and engine running the SRX will chime 2 times to let me know something ain't right . It can be hard to hear with engine running . Wish GM would have designed it to maybe honk the horn to let you know .

·
Registered
181 Posts
That there Caddy must be plenty smooth and quiet....they really are returning to what they used to be. As nice a vehicle as could be had for the money.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did anyone get an answer for this,I was told if I got out and locked the car, It would shut off in five minutes. If it was still running maybe you did not lock the doors.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: Keyless ignitions.

This is an interesting subject and as such prompted me to do a little research. Here is what I found. There is no requirement that vehicles shut off when the fob goes out of range.

In 2012 National Highway and Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) held hearings on two keyless ignition related issues.

The first issue was that engines would continue to run even when the fob was out of range. There have been several fatalities (carbon monoxide related) due to vehicles being parked with the engines running in enclosed places, primarily attached garages.

The second issue dealt with people pushing the ignition "off" when the vehicle was not in park. The vehicles could rollaway and potentially injure people.

The reason the NHTSA as (so far) rejected requiring vehicles to shut off when the fob is out of range is that sometimes people want to leave the vehicle running (to provide for continued climate control for the vehicle interior) and when the battery in the fob dies the vehicle will still be drivable (unless the "off" button is pressed), or if the fob just becomes undetectable due to vehicle design or due to the fob being shielded from detection (say in a purse with say a foil bag for instance).

In 2012 the NHTSA held hearings on the subject(s) and are proposing that the car give and audible (loud) exterior signal when the fob goes out of range of becomes undetectable. A ruling is expected in 2015.

The lawyers are beginning to circle.

Here is a good article on the issue: http://www.safetyresearch.net/2014/03/10/nhtsa-opens-smart-key-compliance-probe/

Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've read about other SRX owners doing the same thing on another forum.

·
Registered
533 Posts
spook said:

In 2012 the NHTSA held hearings on the subject(s) and are proposing that the car give and audible (loud) exterior signal when the fob goes out of range of becomes undetectable. A ruling is expected in 2015.
I don't know about the SRX, but I had a rental XTS and ATS and every time I took the key out of the car with the engine running I got 3 quick, loud honks of the horn along with chimes in the interior and the screen saying "lost detection of the proximity key fob" or something like that. Those honks could wake up the neighborhood. Lol.

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2010 terrain same problem another costly repair on top of my paint peeling off. Fixed for good bought a brand new dodge today only way to resolve all of my terrain issues.PS IT WAS THE IGNITION SWICH hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me too. Comforting that it's happened to all of us once.
I bet mine "probably" beeped at me as I walked away. Now I know if the car beeps unexpectedly, it usually
means I've left a door open, or key in car, liftgate up, etc. Not that I'm elderly, but there are so many
convenience features it's hard to remember everything. Love the car (2015).

Zach said:
I bet all of us have done this 'till we get use to pressing the button to turn it off . In my 2010 Luxury , if I get out with fob in hand and engine running the SRX will chime 2 times to let me know something ain't right . It can be hard to hear with engine running . Wish GM would have designed it to maybe honk the horn to let you know .

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,820 Posts
spook said:

Here is a good article on the issue: http://www.safetyresearch.net/2014/03/10/nhtsa-opens-smart-key-compliance-probe/

Hope this answers your question.
WOW! That's some good reading there! I've never owned a keyless/electronic start vehicle, but I recently rented a Fiat which *I think* had it? This info will certainly make me think twice about how I turn the vehicle off! Also, I remember at least one recent case at work where a vehicle rolled out if it's parking spot. I don't think there was any damage done, but now I'm wondering if it was a keyless design. I'm sure there are several out there if these issues go back 6 years or more.

·
Registered
245 Posts
my wife left her 2012 SRX running mistakenly while she went grocery shopping.....locked itself and was still running when she came out of the store an hour later....lol :eek:hno:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts