GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have the 2011 Terrain Service Manual?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
Wow, a better question might be " Does anyone have a 2011 Terrain yet". Might be a "bit" early to be looking for a 2011 Service Manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
RIT333 said:
Wow, a better question might be " Does anyone have a 2011 Terrain yet". Might be a "bit" early to be looking for a 2011 Service Manual.
;D

LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
My question is does anyone have any Terrain service manual?

I ordered a 2010 manual from Helm, Inc as they had it listed in
stock. I received a phone message a few days later saying they
have canceled my order as the manuals are not available and I
will be contacted when they receive them.

I checked the website last week and they are still listed as
in stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
I am sure that at least one person here has a full-blown service manual. Try the Search function to find out who has it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
When I bought my Terrain, I went to the pasts guy and asked to buy a service manual(like I do for all my vehicles). He looked at me like I was nuts. He said they don't sell manuals anymore and told me to contact Helm. I went to their website and was shocked. They wanted over $150 for a short manual (out of stock...which means there's no such thing...yet) and $400 for a full service manual....on DVD (which they do have in stock). I think I'll pass. I also tried Chiltons, but they only have manual for older cars.

$400 for a manual....on a DVD.........that's rediculous.......they just don't want people doing their own simple repairs.
My Harleys full service manual cost me $69 and it covers everything . I realize a car is a bit more involved, but not by much. I even bought a complete parts manual for it for $49. Which is the best thing I ever bought seeining how un-knowledgable most of the parts counter personnel are these days.

I will keep checking with Helm and see what this DVD will cover, then decide whether to buy it or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
If you (they ;)) consider that just an oil change goes, let's say, around $50 (I'm not saying that you need a service manual for oil change), then the cost of this manual will be quickly covered.

Or divide the price of the manual to the hourly rate of any dealer service ::).


PS. I did the same thing with my previous cars (buying the manual - Haynes, Clintons), but at $400 I still try to convince myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
GARYD said:
$400 for a manual....on a DVD.........that's rediculous.......

I will keep checking with Helm and see what this DVD will cover, then decide whether to buy it or not.
Humm, while I wouldn't suggest doing anything "illegal", I wonder if we could find 20 people on this forum that might consider paying you $20 for the privledge of being able to store one of 20 archive copies of the service manual off-site so that in case your original goes bad, you can get an archive copy from one of us. Sounds like a "wise" thing to do. It would awful to have a $400 DVD go bad, right ? ;)

I would certainly be willing to do that "favor" for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
John, an oil change is almost a no brainer. I'm talking about something like replacing a tail light cover (you wouldn't believe the hoops you have to jump thru to change the Azteks cover) or how to remove a door panel to replace a power window motor or a hundred other things a half way mechanically inclined person could do.....maybe even a brake pad replacement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
RIT333 said:
Wow, a better question might be " Does anyone have a 2011 Terrain yet". Might be a "bit" early to be looking for a 2011 Service Manual.
LOL-isn't that the truth! I am waiting for my 2011. It's been three weeks now. Not heard anything yet as to where or when it will be delivered to the dealership for me to pick up. Even so, I too would like to read the manual if it is out there! I do have the User's Guide for the Navigation system I ordered. Sill would like more info.
http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/owners/manuals/2010/2010_chevrolet_equinox_nav_owners.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GARYD said:
When I bought my Terrain, I went to the pasts guy and asked to buy a service manual(like I do for all my vehicles). He looked at me like I was nuts. He said they don't sell manuals anymore and told me to contact Helm. I went to their website and was shocked. They wanted over $150 for a short manual (out of stock...which means there's no such thing...yet) and $400 for a full service manual....on DVD (which they do have in stock). I think I'll pass. I also tried Chiltons, but they only have manual for older cars.

$400 for a manual....on a DVD.........that's rediculous.......they just don't want people doing their own simple repairs.
My Harleys full service manual cost me $69 and it covers everything . I realize a car is a bit more involved, but not by much. I even bought a complete parts manual for it for $49. Which is the best thing I ever bought seeining how un-knowledgable most of the parts counter personnel are these days.

I will keep checking with Helm and see what this DVD will cover, then decide whether to buy it or not.
I spoke with a nice lady from Helm today who politely advised me that the Service Manual will be available approximately the middle of January 2011 for the 2011 Terrain. Furthermore, she explained that the Service Manual for 2010 is definitely different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Yes, how about the whole thing...........LOL



I assume it's the paper version? Where did you get it and how much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GARYD said:
Yes, how about the whole thing...........LOL



I assume it's the paper version? Where did you get it and how much.
I guess you will have to put some extra paper in the printer. The question is however, can we reproduce without permission? Maybe admin has an answer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
well..I would scan it but Vol I of IV is about 2 inches thick and double sided print....you might not get the whole manual scanned until 2015....lol...but if anyone needs anything specific I wont mind scanning sections..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
If its the Equinox manual, how about Rear Taillight removal. I can find all the bolts, I think, but it still won't come out. I don't want to break anything.

THX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
According to Helms, the 2011 service manuals become available January 15 for $150 for paper versions. I've never bought from Helms, are these the same service manuals that the shop uses? Basically, before I drop $150 I want to be sure this is the book to get for doing my own work.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
jguttes said:
According to Helms, the 2011 service manuals become available January 15 for $150 for paper versions. I've never bought from Helms, are these the same service manuals that the shop uses? Basically, before I drop $150 I want to be sure this is the book to get for doing my own work.

Thanks
That's it. It is probably the most detailed manual that you'll find on the car. Good investment if you plan to keep your car, and do your own work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top