GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the oil consumption warranty work completed, and found my Equinox dripping coolant from the radiator drain petcock. It appears to be tight, so I suspect the O-Ring is bad and the petcock needs to be replaced. I have one on order, but I can't get the petcock out! I've loosened it as much as I can, but I don't want to get too firm with it as I don't want to break it off in the drain.

How do I get it out to replace it without breaking something? Hoping for an answer, this is driving me insane...

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Not sure, but I *think* it’s one of those quarter-turn deals ... then pull straight down and out. I don’t think it has “threads” on it like a bolt...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes it turns about 1/4 turn at that point, it will stop turning. You will feel it hit the stop.

If you have done that, and it won't come out, the "o" ring is most likely stuck to the outer housing.

Just wiggle it gently and it should pull out.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
another member with a leaking petcock after its been opened.

We members recommend for others to instead remove the lower radiator hose to drain coolant

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey folks,

I forgot to come back and mention I got it solved, and thank you for your help. Yeah, it was just a pull out, and I suspect the O-ring was stuck to the housing, like spook mentioned. It took a little bit of elbow grease, but it was just the quarter-turn and then a pull out. Fortunately, the local O'Reilly's had a replacement for it on hand. Felt good to take the car from un-driveable to working for less than $20.

Unfortunately, I didn't do the work, that was all on the dealership side (Never dealing with them again, they were a nightmare). Definitely learned a lesson about not touching that part, and when it comes time for me to personally drain the coolant, I'll be pulling the lower radiator hose, like everyone on this forum mentions.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
How does that petcock stay in the rad? My plug looks normal but it doesnt catch anything in rad to hold it in. You can just push it in without turning or anything...i just put a motor in and cant figure this plug out, i feel like an idiot now

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
How does that petcock stay in the rad? My plug looks normal but it doesnt catch anything in rad to hold it in. You can just push it in without turning or anything...i just put a motor in and cant figure this plug out, i feel like an idiot now
Should be threads on it. Shop Manual says “tighten to 2 N-m or 18 lb-in”.

Maybe the threads are gone?

People here recommend pulling the lower hose off and not messing with that petcock.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I’m not sure what you’ve got here ... but if it’s a new petcock for the existing radiator, and it has threads on it, but freely pushes in and pulls out, then maybe it’s the wrong diameter? Did you compare it to the previous plug?

·
Registered
9 Posts
No, its what i took out and put on tool tray...put a new engine and never touched the rad, when i was ready to fill with coolant and start new engine i ran into this problem...wasnt leaking when i removed it.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I can’t tell from the picture of your plug if it’s damaged in any way. Maybe compare it to the clean picture “spook” attached in the other thread? Apparently it only has very minimal threads ... push it in and then maybe a quarter or half-turn to seat it? But check the gasket or O-ring on it, too ... some people have had to replace it with one from Home Depot, IIRC...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks like a new one comparing pictures. There is nothing inside rad i see that would lock it with the plug

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Looks like a new one comparing pictures. There is nothing inside rad i see that would lock it with the plug
Again ... it's hard to see in your picture (because it's so dark), but I'm comparing your picture with the one "Spook" uploaded in the other thread (on a desktop PC now ... iPhone, forget it), and it almost looks like your plug might be missing a small piece of curved plastic ... maybe the outermost curved piece? I'd be shocked if something broke off inside the radiator ... that should be the stronger material in there.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Nobody has a pic of the inside of the rad where the plug goes do they?
I'd pull mine off to take a look ... I've still got the factory coolant in there at 143,000+ miles and really need to flush it out ... but at this point, I think I'm (finally) convinced not to touch that darn thing (and just pull the lower hose off).

But you could try calling your local dealer(s), or parts stores, to confirm they've got the radiator in stock, then go in there and take a look at that one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts