GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to remove the plastic engine cover permanently? It continues to rattle and because it just snaps on, there is no way to tighten it. Just annoying and embarrassing.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Yes there are several push down clips to hold the cover in place.
My 2014 also has a screw down bolt, does your 2011 have that?

I would try to repair or replace the clips first before you remove the cover.
You don't need the cover but better with it.
Check a wrecking yard for a replacement, which engine do you have.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Replacement bushing and grommets available on GMpartsdirect.com for $3 each plus tax and shipping.
Whole new cover for $48.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,935 Posts
@Steveb725 : There's no 10 mm bolt on that cover? Could've sworn there was (but maybe I'm thinking of my Dad/son's Malibu?).

Even without the single bolt, though, those metal pegs are pretty substantial. If any one anchor point is loose it's probably in the receptacle end that the pegs pushes into. Maybe those are just cheap plastic or rubber and one or more have cracked, losing their grip on the peg?

If I was looking to buy a used Equinox, this might be something to look for ... as an indicator that someone's been in the engine compartment an excessive number of times (maybe typical for the 2.4L engines models?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes there are several push down clips to hold the cover in place.
My 2014 also has a screw down bolt, does your 2011 have that?

I would try to repair or replace the clips first before you remove the cover.
You don't need the cover but better with it.
Check a wrecking yard for a replacement, which engine do you have.
Thanks for the reply. No screws or anything to tighten. Just 3 posts and the oil cap. I have removed the cover multiple times to replace plugs and coil and get better access behind the engine. Cover seems to snap on each post but still get the rattle. I'll double check each to make sure they have the rubber grommet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the reply. No screws or anything to tighten. Just 3 posts and the oil cap. I have removed the cover multiple times to replace plugs and coil and get better access behind the engine. Cover seems to snap on each post but still get the rattle. I'll double check each to make sure they have the rubber grommet.
One time I didn't lineup the grommets with the pins so it was sitting crooked. No rattles...
The cover is to limit the engine noise and reduce the road dirt covering the engine. You can take it off and drive for a while to ensure the rattle is from the cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts