GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2011 GMC Terrain has had this problem only a handful of times since I have owned it. Its the noisy rattle on startup that last for 3 seconds. You can see a video on YouTube
This is EXACTLY the sound my Terrain is making. It honestly has only done this maybe 5 times in 4 years that I have owned it. It only seems to happen if the Terrain sits for a day or more with out being started. Since I am following quarantine and my terrain is now sitting for sometimes days with out being started I am noticing it more often. After researching I found that it is a known problem, the bulletin number is PI0562F. It recommends replacing both camshaft position actuators and solenoids. Replacing the actuators is too complicated of a job for me, but just replacing the solenoids is easy. Do you think just replacing the solenoids could fix this issue?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I’m guessing “no”, but it’s a relatively cheap and easy thing to try (changing the solenoids).

That sound is pretty bad! Could a timing chain make a noise like that? Sounds like something being starved of oil for a few seconds at startup.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Anti drain back oil filter being used ? Just a though since it's a been parked issue.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This video sounds very much like videos that were captured in early 2011. If you look back at those older threads, the problem at that time was addressed involving actuators, solenoid’s, a computer update to flash back to the previous oscillating frequency for the solenoid’s, and an oil change. There was a specific order in which these had to be done. This forum should still have a lot of those older posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This video sounds very much like videos that were captured in early 2011. If you look back at those older threads, the problem at that time was addressed involving actuators, solenoid’s, a computer update to flash back to the previous oscillating frequency for the solenoid’s, and an oil change. There was a specific order in which these had to be done. This forum should still have a lot of those older posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that is how I found the solution, there are a lot of post about this issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m guessing “no”, but it’s a relatively cheap and easy thing to try (changing the solenoids).

That sound is pretty bad! Could a timing chain make a noise like that? Sounds like something being starved of oil for a few seconds at startup.

Yes that is pretty much exactly what the problem is, from the bulletin....

The prior engine shut down did not allow oil pressure to the camshaft position actuator long enough to lock it in thestart up position for the next start up. The noise that is heard is the internal section of the camshaft position actuatormoving from one end of its range of motion to the other end. The noise stops when the camshaft position actuator isrefilled with oil in 3 seconds or less
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10051906-1507.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts