GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alot of concerns on fuel mileage. I have a 4cylinder 2WD that I am averaging 23 MPG on highway. It has 11000 miles on it. All use of vehicle is highway. After break in it went from 22 to 23 mpg. The average speed is 70 mph and I am on relative flat road use. Driving in Georgia. I understand the break down of gas to ethanol. I am looking at adding another vehicle to my fleet but if GM can not answer the question on fuel I will have to go to another brand. I would be happy to get 27 mpg. Here is my Vin#2CTALMEC9B6394036. I am averaging 4500 miles a month on this vehicle and have been a very loyal customer to GM over the years. Vidalia Naval Stores or Choo Choo building supply is the name the vehicle is purchased in. Any help in this matter appreciated.
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Perhaps its your speed that is bringing it down
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
When I do drive on the expressway while driving 60/65 mph the DIC says I'm getting 22 to 23 mpg. Wish I could get that in city driving.

Try 65mph and cruise control. Also get a UOA test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
Best I've done is 28.5. Driving around 60 mph with AC on. Almost all highway driving with the family (2 adults 2 small children).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
Just filled up. With this trip I say mostly 35 mph driving got 25.9 with CA on. Seems the mileage is getting better with age. I would like to see closer to 32 mpg. Going on a trip in a couple of weeks and we'll have to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Do you reset the DIC with every fill up? Or is the 23mpg from day one? How many miles are you getting on a tank full? And have you ever figured the MPG's by math?

I have the same style Terrain and have no problem getting over 30 mpg on the highway with my best tank full getting 33.4 mpg. I have found that the DIC read out is low by as much as 3 mpg at times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
christopher1 said:
Alot of concerns on fuel mileage. I have a 4cylinder 2WD that I am averaging 23 MPG on highway. It has 11000 miles on it. All use of vehicle is highway. After break in it went from 22 to 23 mpg. The average speed is 70 mph and I am on relative flat road use. Driving in Georgia. I understand the break down of gas to ethanol. I am looking at adding another vehicle to my fleet but if GM can not answer the question on fuel I will have to go to another brand. I would be happy to get 27 mpg. Here is my Vin#2CTALMEC9B6394036. I am averaging 4500 miles a month on this vehicle and have been a very loyal customer to GM over the years. Vidalia Naval Stores or Choo Choo building supply is the name the vehicle is purchased in. Any help in this matter appreciated.
Thanks
I am showing an open recall at this time for this VIN# regarding the rough idle, poor driveability-reprogram engine control module. I would recommend contacting your local dealer for more specific information. Please feel free to keep me posted and let me know if this resolves your concerns. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
Just filled up my 4/FWD and the DIC said 31.0, and I had 449 miles and with 15.0 gallons, so a shade under 30.0. That was 90% highway at 65-70 MPH. Very pleased.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
RIT333 said:
Just filled up my 4/FWD and the DIC said 31.0, and I had 449 miles and with 15.0 gallons, so a shade under 30.0. That was 90% highway at 65-70 MPH. Very pleased.
I understand @ 75+ getting 27mpg is very good for a SUV, and others should look at how they drive before they complain about the "car". Its funny I have a V6 and I4, and get good mpg out of both of them, they are within standards of what should be expected.

Due to some very unusual automobile market conditions we are currently able to replace your vehicle for a new leased vehicle even though your mileage is lower than we usually replace. We are planning on pulling all vehicles out of service that have been in use at least 12 months. XXX or XXX will be contacting you to place an order for the models listed below. The options for 2012 models are: Impala, Malibu, Equinox and Altima. The one with the lowest cost per mile is the Equinox. Please let XXX know if you have questions.
Part of an email from my companies fleet department on ordering new cars....We have a good number of company owned cars in the market place. Its funny how my company has determined the Nox to be the LOWEST cost per mile vs the other listed. We track every tank on fill-up w/ a fleet card needing the driver/mileage on odometer and it records the gallons purchased...So I can see every transaction I've ever had on this card to see the MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
grometsc said:
I understand @ 75+ getting 27mpg is very good for a SUV
Yep - wind resistance takes its toll on these CUVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
M GAS MILEAGE IS PATHETIC TOO. I GET BETWEEN 9.2-12 L/100 KM DRIVING 90% HIGHWAY 80-90KMPH.NO JACK RABBIT STARTS. I TOLD THE DEALER IN THE WINTER AND HE SAID U CANT GET GOOD MILEAGE IN THE WINTER. ITS SUMMER AND ITS JUST AS BAD. I HAVE JUST OVER 21000 KM ON IT. THE TRANSMISSION IS ALWAYS CLUNKING AND SEARCHING BUT THE DEALER SAYS ITS JUST THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION. ITS REALLY ANNOYING. I BOUGHT THIS TO GET DECENT FUEL MILEAGE AND ITS WORSE THAN MY 2001 AZTEK WHICH IS ALOT MORE COMFORTABLE TOO. THE SEATS ARE SO HARD IN THE TERRAIN THAT IT KILLS BOTH MY WIFES AND MY BACK.REAR SHOCKS BOTTOM OUT WITH PASSENGERS IN THE BACK SEAT. THE SHOCKS ON THE REAR LIFT GATE ARE RUSTING ALREADY. THE DEALER SAID WELCOME TO CANADIAN WINTERS. I HAVE HAD BROKEN LATCH ON THE CONSOLE, THE COVER FELL OFF THE REAR WIPER AND MY TAIL LIGHTS FILLED WITH WATER FIXED TWICE. RUST REAR LIFT DOOR UNDER THE CHROME HAD TO BE FIXED 3 TIMES! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THESE TO ANYONE. MY FIRST NEW VEHICLE AND I HAVE DRIVEN MOSTLY GM VEHICLES ALL MY LIFE. WHAT A LET DOWN. ITS SUPPOSED TO GET 6.1L/100KM EPA HERE IN CANADA. WHAT A DISGRACE! I DROVE A HUGE 4X4 DODGE CREW CAB PICKUP THAT WASNT MUCH WORSE ON FUEL. IS THERE ANY HOPE? I HAVE ONSTAR MONITORING TOO THAT SAYS ALL IS WELL?????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
TMSMITH said:
M GAS MILEAGE IS PATHETIC TOO. I GET BETWEEN 9.2-12 L/100 KM DRIVING 90% HIGHWAY 80-90KMPH.NO JACK RABBIT STARTS. I TOLD THE DEALER IN THE WINTER AND HE SAID U CANT GET GOOD MILEAGE IN THE WINTER. ITS SUMMER AND ITS JUST AS BAD. I HAVE JUST OVER 21000 KM ON IT. THE TRANSMISSION IS ALWAYS CLUNKING AND SEARCHING BUT THE DEALER SAYS ITS JUST THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THE 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION. ITS REALLY ANNOYING. I BOUGHT THIS TO GET DECENT FUEL MILEAGE AND ITS WORSE THAN MY 2001 AZTEK WHICH IS ALOT MORE COMFORTABLE TOO. THE SEATS ARE SO HARD IN THE TERRAIN THAT IT KILLS BOTH MY WIFES AND MY BACK.REAR SHOCKS BOTTOM OUT WITH PASSENGERS IN THE BACK SEAT. THE SHOCKS ON THE REAR LIFT GATE ARE RUSTING ALREADY. THE DEALER SAID WELCOME TO CANADIAN WINTERS. I HAVE HAD BROKEN LATCH ON THE CONSOLE, THE COVER FELL OFF THE REAR WIPER AND MY TAIL LIGHTS FILLED WITH WATER FIXED TWICE. RUST REAR LIFT DOOR UNDER THE CHROME HAD TO BE FIXED 3 TIMES! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THESE TO ANYONE. MY FIRST NEW VEHICLE AND I HAVE DRIVEN MOSTLY GM VEHICLES ALL MY LIFE. WHAT A LET DOWN. ITS SUPPOSED TO GET 6.1L/100KM EPA HERE IN CANADA. WHAT A DISGRACE! I DROVE A HUGE 4X4 DODGE CREW CAB PICKUP THAT WASNT MUCH WORSE ON FUEL. IS THERE ANY HOPE? I HAVE ONSTAR MONITORING TOO THAT SAYS ALL IS WELL?????
NOPE - SOUNDS LIKE TIME TO BAIL OUT !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
TMSMITH, I also had a 2001 Aztek and loved it. The reason I bought the V6 Terrain was because they said it had the same mpg that the Aztek had and I didn't want to get a car with worse mpg. so I bought it. So far other then the milage and as you said the transmission hunting for a gear, I do like the Terrain. If the time comes to get another car it won't be a Terrain unless they address all these issues. I also don't ever want another DI engine so that will probably kill any thought of a new car.

I've always thought about buying a completely restored from the ground up car from the 60's. It may come to that - who knows. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,528 Posts
GARYD said:
I've always thought about buying a completely restored from the ground up car from the 60's. It may come to that - who knows. ;D
Good luck feeding it gas. My GasTiresOil (aka GTO) used to do 13 MPG downhill !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Too many individual MPG threads...

I'll add my experience here as well since I have a 2011 I4/2wd.

Currently have about 6K on my Terrain. Since I've got it, I've been averaging about 23mpg in suburban driving. Which is great. Took it on a 2700 mile road trip last month and averaged only 22mpg with 2 adults, 2 kids and a week's worth of luggage. Drove through the CO mountains and to the Grand Canyon. Average speed about 70-75 mph on the interstate depending on the flow of traffic. Was hoping for more as I have a Ram 4x4 w/ a Hemi which I averaged 19mpg in same conditions the year before.

After this trip, my mpg took a hit to around 19mpg for a few weeks and got back up to 25mpg on my latest fill. I fill up every weekend before the work week regardless of how much gas I have in the tank. Drove the same about of miles, same route and driving style.

It's all over the place, hoping the increased mileage from the last fill is trend.
If it doesn't improve, I think i'll be replacing it with a car with a larger motor as I really had trouble with lack of power in the mountains and passing. In the 20+ years of driving, this is the 1st car I've ever had in which I was hesitant to pass on the interstate. If the mpg were a bit better I could overlook this, but I have the worst of both worlds.

Thinking of getting the Chrysler 300 w/ the 6 cylinder when the 8 speed tranny becomes available....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
husker_terrain said:
Too many individual MPG threads...
What...you don't think we need about 14 more?

The "Search" button is not used often enough around here...they just start a new thread...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
As off topic as this is, I really think the mods need to do a better job of closing and combining threads. This board is really getting to be a mess of the same threads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
dishdude said:
As off topic as this is, I really think the mods need to do a better job of closing and combining threads. This board is really getting to be a mess of the same threads.
Totally agree. I think there are 3 threads with the rattle alone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
dishdude said:
As off topic as this is, I really think the mods need to do a better job of closing and combining threads. This board is really getting to be a mess of the same threads.
LOL...I actually typed that in my reply above and then decided to remove it...

RNOX said:
Totally agree. I think there are 3 threads with the rattle alone.
Using the Report to Moderator button only seems to get a reaction when there is a "conflict" going on in a thread.
Reporting threads that need to be combined etc has had little to no effect so far and indeed this Forum is getting waaaaaaaaaay out of hand.

But the "bashing" goes to the membership as well who seem to relish in stating they are starting a new thread because... :facepalm:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
With a little over 4000 miles on the Equinox on my last short trip I averaged 29.8. This was mostly back roads and passing through five small towns in fairly hilly country. One 10 mile stretch on a four lane was at about 72 MPH, the rest of the trip was 60-62 MPH.

In October we will be taking a trip through part of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, about 750 miles one way. It will be mostly interstate driving at higher speeds, so it will be interesting to see what kind of mileage we get.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top