GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have a 2011 Equinox and I notice rust on the inside of the driver side bottom door panel. What the heck!! Why is this happening from the inside! I’ve never seen rust inside of other brands of vehicles I had owned.

Also, about six years ago the chrome coating on the inside door handle started to peel. Leaving a sharp edge that I constantly cut my finger. I called corporate and guess what, they didn’t care!

Unfortunately, I’m thinking it’s time for a new vehicle. Besides constant brake issues, heating , Oil changes, and needing a new water pump when the suv was new and the now rust. I have to say this was my first Chevy and will be my last.

· Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 179k miles
4,632 Posts
@N2EQ11 : the Door Rust problem has been discussed on this Forum many times before. Use the "Search Community" box at the top/center. Try "door rust" or "door seam" or just "rust" or "seam". You're out of warranty, so if it was me I'd just sand that crap off and spray paint over it. I think there was a TSB to apply some kind of "Seam Sealer"?? You might want to check with the Dealer Parts Dept. They should know about this problem, too.

Can you post a picture of the handle chrome? I haven't had any such problem with my 2011 Equinox.

As far as "needing a new vehicle" ... it sounds to me - based on what you've mentioned here (which is very minor stuff) ... that you're over-reacting a bit. Brakes wear out, but mine have lasted me 85,000 miles (factory pads ... but could've easily gone to 100,000 miles), and now almost 95,000 miles on the 2nd set. Maybe it's your mechanic who likes to recommend and change parts? What's wrong with the heating? Needing a new Water Pump is another wear item. I still have my original Water Pump at almost 180,000 miles, but they don't all last that long. Again - maybe it's your mechanic? I do my own repairs and, for 30 years now, have always erred on the side of "letting things ride a bit" ... but I think most professional mechanics don't do that. They recommend changing parts whenever they see an opportunity.

· Registered
884 Posts
Unfortunately, I’m thinking it’s time for a new vehicle. Besides constant brake issues, heating , Oil changes, and needing a new water pump when the suv was new and the now rust. I have to say this was my first Chevy and will be my last.
All new ICE vehicles require oil changes. You don't escape that with a new one unless you get an EV.

My 2006 Chevy Impala was purchased new and needed a water pump when it was less than 12mo old. Stuff happens.

Brakes wear out. My Equinox needed new pads and rotors at 52.5K miles. Prior to that, the front rotors were replaced under warranty at 30K miles due to bad parts (I bought my Nox new...dealer said the front rotors were too thin to turn which made no sense to them since they were the originals. Had to have been manufactured wrong from the beginning.)

The water drains on the doors of these vehicles are kind of in a bad spot. They get blocked by the weather stripping. I will open my doors days after a rain storm and water will dribble out of them. I try to open all four doors right after it rains to drain them now.

My Equinox is a 2015, and I have already had to replace both lower rear control arms due to severe rust. The older a vehicle gets, the more of these types of issues you get. Plus, my vehicle isn't garaged which adds to issues from the elements.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts