GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts
JayTee2014 said:
So happy trouble free owners are never heard from. Only the 1 to 5% of certain year/model problems/
Amen to that ! :thumb:

I need some opinions as a "next step"... some history: my 2011 Equinox's timing chain was replaced at 102K under warranty in July 2014... fast forward to May 2015 and I go to start my car and all I get is rattling under the hood. I take it back to the dealer and specifically ask them to check the timing chain. It took 4 days, but they did and told me that it was fine, and at the time they said it was 1 qt low on oil... but that I needed a new engine because it was seized and wouldn't make the noise for them that it was making for me... the start wasn't engaging anymore. So believing them, I picked up the car and took it to a trusted mechanic that had replaced an engine in another vehicle for half of the price of the dealer. They start taking the engine out and realize it isn't seized... and then look at the timing chain and it is loose! I went back to the dealer to tell them of our findings and they obviously don't believe us since I removed the vehicle, but the service manager agreed to look at it. Turns out the upper timing chain tensioner had broken (galled according to the service manager) and wouldn't release from its starting position causing slack in the chain and allowing the timing to skip which caused everything else inside the engine to break... literally almost everything.
The tensioner was replaced under warranty 10 months prior (parts still under warranty)... the service manager now says that my car was 2 quarts low on oil when it was in, and he thinks it galled because not enough oil was going through there and the part got too hot. Thoughts? I have been told only a 1/2 a quart is running through the engine at a time and that even 2 quarts low shouldn't cause THIS to happen.

Attachments

Well, the next step for you would to search and read all you can on the 2010-2012 I4 issues concerning timing chain, actuators, and oil consumption. The next step for the car would be to start an oil consumption test at the dealer. The I4 powertrain warranty was extended to 120K due this issue. If you are past this mileage then you can try a good will claim. Good Luck!

So I'm a little concerned. 2011 2.4 Terrain.
The engine starting throwing some awful noise, so I took it in and gave a technician a ride. He immediately identified it as the timing chain. No problem, under warranty, right?
Well now GMC is asking us to provide proof of oil changes because the oil was low. And, to boot, some part having to do with the timing chain has lodged in the motor and I need a new motor.
We're pulling the oil change history together, but I'm already expecting a battle. We followed the oil life monitor, which still showed 9% left. We've NEVER been low on oil between changes, so something has changed. And the low oil light is not on either. We probably averaged ~7,000 miles between changes before the monitor said to change it. Anyone have similar experiences?
If the oil life monitor doesn't function correctly, GMC needs to retire it. I can't tell you how upset I'll be if they leave me on the hook for this when their systems don't operate correctly.

jeffreyachristensen said:
So I'm a little concerned. 2011 2.4 Terrain.
The engine starting throwing some awful noise, so I took it in and gave a technician a ride. He immediately identified it as the timing chain. No problem, under warranty, right?
Well now GMC is asking us to provide proof of oil changes because the oil was low. And, to boot, some part having to do with the timing chain has lodged in the motor and I need a new motor.
We're pulling the oil change history together, but I'm already expecting a battle. We followed the oil life monitor, which still showed 9% left. We've NEVER been low on oil between changes, so something has changed. And the low oil light is not on either. We probably averaged ~7,000 miles between changes before the monitor said to change it. Anyone have similar experiences?
If the oil life monitor doesn't function correctly, GMC needs to retire it. I can't tell you how upset I'll be if they leave me on the hook for this when their systems don't operate correctly.
If you have proof of the oil changes, you should be fine. You got the OLM software update from a year or two ago, right?

We're pulling the oil change history together, but I'm already expecting a battle. We followed the oil life monitor, which still showed 9% left. We've NEVER been low on oil between changes, so something has changed. And the low oil light is not on either.
1) It's routine for the dealership to require paperwork of all oil changes if there's an engine failure. Especially if it's an oil-related failure.
a) We all probably know someone who drives 10k+ miles without changing the engine oil...
2) Common misconception - there is NO "low oil light" for these vehicles.
a) The Oil Life Monitor only estimates the oil QUALITY, not the oil QUANTITY.
b) To check oil level, the owner is supposed to check the oil dipstick.
c) There's a dummy oil light on the dash that signifies low oil PRESSURE, but again, not oil level. And pressure does not equal volume.

Seems the dealership checked the oil dipstick and saw dangerously low oil level.
I don't know if you've read the other threads here, but generally it seems GM is thinking: the engine piston rings wear fast (there is a TSB for updated piston rings), the engine consumes more oil, the oil level gets low, the timing chain is starved of oil, then engine failure. Obviously, GM is hoping that the owners would check their oil level and add more oil rather than leaving it to starve the timing chain. This way the dealership just needs to replace the piston & rings, then the engine's good again (supposedly).

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to keep cool and collect all your oil changes receipts. Hopefully you've been stashing them in the glove compartment? I'd think if you have all your receipts, then the dealership shouldn't have any trouble getting your engine covered under warranty.
Wish you the best.

usmcakers said:
I need some opinions as a "next step"... some history: my 2011 Equinox's timing chain was replaced at 102K under warranty in July 2014... fast forward to May 2015 and I go to start my car and all I get is rattling under the hood. I take it back to the dealer and specifically ask them to check the timing chain. It took 4 days, but they did and told me that it was fine, and at the time they said it was 1 qt low on oil... but that I needed a new engine because it was seized and wouldn't make the noise for them that it was making for me... the start wasn't engaging anymore. So believing them, I picked up the car and took it to a trusted mechanic that had replaced an engine in another vehicle for half of the price of the dealer. They start taking the engine out and realize it isn't seized... and then look at the timing chain and it is loose! I went back to the dealer to tell them of our findings and they obviously don't believe us since I removed the vehicle, but the service manager agreed to look at it. Turns out the upper timing chain tensioner had broken (galled according to the service manager) and wouldn't release from its starting position causing slack in the chain and allowing the timing to skip which caused everything else inside the engine to break... literally almost everything.
The tensioner was replaced under warranty 10 months prior (parts still under warranty)... the service manager now says that my car was 2 quarts low on oil when it was in, and he thinks it galled because not enough oil was going through there and the part got too hot. Thoughts? I have been told only a 1/2 a quart is running through the engine at a time and that even 2 quarts low shouldn't cause THIS to happen.
usmcakers, seems you're in a really tough spot. I agree, the extended warranty should have covered this repair. However, since it was disassembled elsewhere, I think you're out of luck.
And you'll only be getting speculations from here - no one really knows how much oil is running through the engine at any one time (though I'd think much more than just 1/2 a quart). Another problem with running 2 quarts low is the oil pump cavitation during daily maneuvers leading to unsteady oil supply. Cavitation often doesn't lead to immediate damage, but takes its toll over time.
But still usmcakers, I hope you'll get some good luck and perhaps GM will reimburse 1/2 your bill or something...??? :shrug:

Chas said:
2) Common misconception - there is NO "low oil light" for these vehicles.
a) The Oil Life Monitor only estimates the oil QUALITY, not the oil QUANTITY.
b) To check oil level, the owner is supposed to check the oil dipstick.
c) There's a dummy oil light on the dash that signifies low oil PRESSURE, but again, not oil level. And pressure does not equal volume.
Thanks for the reply. So it's not a "low oil light", but page 5-28 of the Owner's Manual, under the topic "Engine Oil Messages", states: ENGINE OIL LOW - ADD OIL. This message displays when the engine oil is too low. This is the message I'm talking about that our Terrain did not throw.

Thanks for the reply. So it's not a "low oil light", but page 5-28 of the Owner's Manual, under the topic "Engine Oil Messages", states: ENGINE OIL LOW - ADD OIL. This message displays when the engine oil is too low. This is the message I'm talking about that our Terrain did not throw.
Yep, I know what you're referring to. This has been brought up multiple times before in this forum. And I do agree, GM was misleading about this.
I don't have the 2011 Manual, but in my 2013 Manual it specifically says:
ENGINE OIL LOW — ADD OIL
On some vehicles, this message
displays when the engine oil level
may be too low. Check the oil level
before filling to the recommended
level.
Notice the "On some vehicles,..."? The 4-cylinder Terrain are not included. Yep, GM was cutting corners by dropping the oil level sensor in the 4 cylinder. And yep, it seems GM did a hack job by doing a copy/paste of a generic statement about Engine Oil Low message throughout different vehicle Owner's Manuals.
I'm still pretty confident GM will cover your engine if you can collect all your receipts. So I wouldn't sweat just yet. Let us know how it goes. :thumb:

Unfortunately, in June/July 2009, I was "stuck" and needed to buy a vehicle. That was about the time the "cash for clunkers" was going on, so finding a 2010 Equinox was hard-to-come-by as the new model year was just rolling out. Any dealer that had them in stock, was not participating in the "cash for clunkers" program. Against my better judgment of buying the first model year of a car, I went ahead and bought one of the first few 2010 Equinoxes (mine does not have the wiring for an iPod/MP3 player...as they did not have the correct parts on the first 150??? vehicles and issued a credit on the sticker price to offset that). In any event...I've continued to have oil consumption and excessive engine noise issues/problems. I've had them replace several parts over the years due to the great people of this site who have shared what Chevrolet/GM will do for you if you complain. In November 2014, around 70,000 miles on the car, my Equinox lost most power and could barely keep up speed. I turned around and went home and parked it on my driveway. Next morning, I went to start it to drop it off at the dealer, and it would not start (starter was spinning freely). After a having a tow truck come and get it, they suggested since my warranty was up (so I thought) that I bring it to them and not the dealer as the dealer is a rip off for non-warranty work. Long story short...the place I brought it to ran the diagnostics tool and found that the codes were tied to a "special warranty" from GM and said I should bring it to the dealer to get fixed (so glad for HONEST local repair shops, as they could have ripped me off and charged me for the work). Long story short again, my timing chain went and caused damage inside the engine (my timing chain literally disintegrated). Chevrolet/GM replaced everything for free (took longer than I would have liked...but hey, for free, I can't complain). After that, my Equinox's engine ran so smooth/quiet like it NEVER had before, almost like it was a brand new engine (it ALWAYS clanged a bit...and progressively got worse...and was told more than once that it was "normal"). I am still very disappointed by the engine oil consumption and have had the test done at least 3 times. Each time, the consumption was within GM's acceptable limits. And feel I've added more oil now than I ever have...but it's always hit or miss (sometimes can go 2,000 miles without adding any...and other times I'm adding oil before I even reach 1,000 miles after an oil change). I think Chevrolet/GM have been very "generous" in extending these special warranties to us...but let's face it, they are doing it because they know they sold us a vehicle that is under-performing and sub-standard. I am completely turned off by Chevrolet/GM (have always been a loyal customer: Pontiac GrandAm, Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet TrailBlazer)...and feel my next car will be something other than a GM! I must constantly restock oil to have in the car at all times to make sure I am not running low on oil. It's such a shame!

I have a 2011 Equinox that has just started having the issues listed by many in this thread. I do have over 184,000 miles on the engine. Fuel pump was replaced. I now get the engine light coming on after driving for one day. Do you feel that GM would honor their warranty seeing as I have just become aware of the timing chain and other issues that can dominate this beta type of engine system?

tgrayfox said:
I have a 2011 Equinox that has just started having the issues listed by many in this thread. I do have over 184,000 miles on the engine. Fuel pump was replaced. I now get the engine light coming on after driving for one day. Do you feel that GM would honor their warranty seeing as I have just become aware of the timing chain and other issues that can dominate this beta type of engine system?
I really doubt they would. You aren't just a little over warranty, and you put on a lot more miles per year than average.

However, if you are polite and nice about it, and tell them about the warranty extension program (just so you are all on the same page), they might cut you a good deal on the labor. Honestly though, needing a timing chain at 185K miles is not really surprising. I've never had to do a timing *chain* at all, personally, but they will give you grief about the miles.

tgrayfox said:
The car is pretty close to the end of it's normal life (200k miles), I wouldn't expect any concessions unless you have an exceptional relationship with your dealer.

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Hello friends,

Just wanted to follow up with you. Currently sitting at 76K miles now. The vehicle still consumes a little oil after the timing chain/fuel pump fix. Had to add a quart during a vacation last month.

I am at the point where I don't trust the long-term outlook of this car. I am very worried that the timing chain may go bad again, or another problem related to the fuel diluted oil will pop up. I don't want to take that gamble. I owe a little under $13K on the car. This week, the dealership that repaired my timing chain sent a trade valuation of $13,400 to me in the mail. Currently in negotiations for a 2015 Equinox 1LT with 15 miles, but they're only bringing $12K to the table for trade value. I'm going to negotiate some more with them on the trade value, then work on the new car value. TrueCar seems to cover that pretty well though. My thinking is $25K out the door for a brand new 1LT model and starting with a fresh engine seems alright. Also, the 2015 seems to accelerate more smoothly in Eco/non-Eco mode.
Also looking at a 2015 Equinox at another dealer with 17K miles. I hope to be out of this 2011 soon, but not willing to take a huge financial hit in doing so.

If you really wish to have the Best chance of no more repair issues, many here on the forum would suggest looking for a 3.6L V6 version in 2012 - 15. Maybe a low mileage used one? Although GM has made improvements in the 2.4L I4 engine, the jury is still out on whether it is enough to make it long lasting.

From what I see, you are putting on about 25K miles a year? The V6 would be more durable as evidenced by owners like "rbarrios" who has a Chevy 2010 Traverse (97,000 miles) and 2013 Equinox (35,00 miles) both with the 3.6L V6.

Besides, the V6 will do 20 to 23 MPG or better around town in street/freeway driving and easily 26 to 29 MPG on trips driving at 65 to 72MPH . .. .. my real world calculations on our 2015 Equinox V6. I have clocked sustained legs of our trip to Florida of 30 to 31.4 MPG. Our average for the whole trip on the interstate parts driving 65 to +75 MPH was +28MPG.

I researched almost a year and decided on the V6.

Update to my timing chain replacement: the dealer in Michigan replaced the timing chain; I had to fight with GM for a few days and they said they would cover all but $550 of the cost after much complaining. I wasn't pleased because the timing chain stretch is a known design defect and they should have covered the entire repair!!!
Once completed, I think the job was done ok, but there is more valve train noise now than when the symptoms started appearing.

On a separate note, my front passenger side window regulator has failed, in the up position thankfully. Last winter, in -10F weather, I was at a Tim Horton's drive through and my window wouldn't go back up. I had to drive 33 miles to get to work with driver's side window down. Yes it was damned cold!! Not impressive, GM!!!!

leftrified said:
Update to my timing chain replacement: the dealer in Michigan replaced the timing chain; I had to fight with GM for a few days and they said they would cover all but $550 of the cost after much complaining. I wasn't pleased because the timing chain stretch is a known design defect and they should have covered the entire repair!!!
Once completed, I think the job was done ok, but there is more valve train noise now than when the symptoms started appearing.

On a separate note, my front passenger side window regulator has failed, in the up position thankfully. Last winter, in -10F weather, I was at a Tim Horton's drive through and my window wouldn't go back up. I had to drive 33 miles to get to work with driver's side window down. Yes it was damned cold!! Not impressive, GM!!!!
I agree, i would have expected the timing chain to be fully covered. How many miles on your car ? Maybe you are past the extended warranty coverage mileage. :banghead:

In November 2014, I bought my 2010 equinox from a Ford dealership. It was a trade in for them, so they had no warranty information on the vehicle since they were not a Chevrolet dealer. They advised me to call a Chevrolet dealership regarding my warranty information. In January, I called a local dealership and was told my warranty was over on 1/29/15. Two weeks ago, my check engine light came on in my car, so I scheduled an appointment with my local mechanic. After taking my car into him to look at, he discovered the timing chain issue. He went to a local dealership, where the service manager ran my VIN number and told me my car was covered for repairs. Since my local mechanic had already taken apart the car, the service department told him to have it towed to them and put the parts in a box. I was assured 3 different times that it would be covered under the warranty. It is now two weeks later, they have pushed my car outside and stated that the timing chain problem has ruined my motor and it won't be covered. I am still waiting to hear from them on the final decision. They have talked to two different people, taken pictures, and are waiting for a rep to come look at the car. Meanwhile, I am a single Mom sitting without a car and without any explanation on what is going on. I feel I am getting the run around and they have changed their minds ONLY after seeing that the motor is junk. Any ideas on where to go from here???

kelli - you need to escalate this up the GM management chain. The various Zone office people will be listed in your Owners Manual. Maybe if you ask the dealer who to contact up the chain, they will provide it, or get worried and do something about it. This is absolute BS, and you are caught in the middle.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.