GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Equinox (2.4l) that worked just fine before this afternoon.

I was replacing struts and cv joint/axle shafts, pretty simple job. Anyway, I was listening to music and let the battery drain. I finished my job and used a jumper box to try to get it started. It is one of those little kind that are about the size of a cell phone. It had worked fine all of the other times that I've used it for all of my vehicles. When I tried to start the car, the batteries swelled and literally popped the case apart on the unit. It would not start my car, so I pulled it and threw it on my workbench. I thought that maybe the battery was still just too weak to get it started, so I used my Traverse and some jumper cables.

No dice jumping It either. I can't tell if the starter is just spinning and not engaging the flywheel to spin the engine, or if it is engaging and is just very quiet. I can smell gas off I try to crank it a couple of times. It spins the starter for about 5 seconds then shuts off.

I checked the fuses and relays and everything looked okay. I swapped out the power start relay with the starter relay and nothing changed.

I'm wondering, is there a way to get a trouble code to display on the dash? The nearest place that could read the code is auto zone and is have to tow the car there, just to get the code pulled.

Could the ECM be fried, from the issue with the jumper box, or could the starter be bad?

Sigh, just not in the mood for this right now...

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Yes your ECM could be fried but I wouldn't start there.
Your battery is probably shot, check with a volt meter and buy a new battery if necessary.
No more jump starting off another vehicle, that can cause more problems.

You can see a trouble code with a code reader or scanner, not your dash.
Once you have a good battery check your starter to see if is spinning the motor over.
Start there, I think your jumping around is causing multiple problems that started as one small one.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Buy a code reader for yourself. It will be cheaper than towing your vehicle anyplace. Everyone should own one, or two ! I keep one in each vehicle - the ELM327, and use a cell phone app.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy a code reader for yourself. It will be cheaper than towing your vehicle anyplace. Everyone should own one, or two ! I keep one in each vehicle - the ELM327, and use a cell phone app.
I picked one up today, but it's showing no codes stored. The battery seems like it's got just enough power to spin the starter, but maybe not enough to get the bendix to engage and spin the engine. I've got it on a charger now, going to see if I it will take a charge, then try again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked one up today, but it's showing no codes stored. The battery seems like it's got just enough power to spin the starter, but maybe not enough to get the bendix to engage and spin the engine. I've got it on a charger now, going to see if I it will take a charge, then try again.
That makes no sense. The solenoid pushes the bendix into the flywheel teeth as it closes the contacts to engage the starter. If the starter is running and the engine is not turning, then you've either got broken flywheel teeth, broken teeth on the bendix, or the one way clutch on the starter is broken and it's slipping. Should be fairly easy to have someone look at the alternator pulley as you're cranking and see if the engine is actually cranking.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,802 Posts
The battery seems like it's got just enough power to spin the starter, but maybe not enough to get the bendix to engage and spin the engine. I've got it on a charger now, going to see if I it will take a charge, then try again.
I hope you haven't left it on the charger for 10 days ...:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes no sense. The solenoid pushes the bendix into the flywheel teeth as it closes the contacts to engage the starter. If the starter is running and the engine is not turning, then you've either got broken flywheel teeth, broken teeth on the bendix, or the one way clutch on the starter is broken and it's slipping. Should be fairly easy to have someone look at the alternator pulley as you're cranking and see if the engine is actually cranking.
I shot a video of what it was doing and took that to a reliable shop that I've used in the past and showed it to them.

They said that the starter is cooked. The bendix is not spinning out, the starter is just spinning. I haven't had a chance to take it in yet, I have to get it towed up there. Next week, after Memorial Day, I'll have them replace the starter and hopefully that will take care of the problem.

I'll update here as soon as we find the issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I shot a video of what it was doing and took that to a reliable shop that I've used in the past and showed it to them.

They said that the starter is cooked. The bendix is not spinning out, the starter is just spinning. I haven't had a chance to take it in yet, I have to get it towed up there. Next week, after Memorial Day, I'll have them replace the starter and hopefully that will take care of the problem.

I'll update here as soon as we find the issue.
Well, I towed it to a repair shop and they came back with a diagnostic. They said that the timing had jumped and that the engine was just spinning with no compression and that the engine needs a rebuild.

I'm not a mechanic, but I can't understand how the engine could jump time when it ran fine, I shut it off, and it magically jumped time.

But, I did what @sparkydave said to do, and see if the engine does crank over when the ignition is engaged, which it does. It doesn't seem to turn very fast though, but I don't know how fast it is supposed to crank in order to get the ignition to fire.

One thing that I notice is that there is a definite smell of raw gas when I'm cranking it over.

I pulled one of the plugs and ran a compression test on it and got nothing, not even a couple of pounds of pressure. So I'm at a loss now as to what to do.

I absolutely hate this car, it's been nothing but one thing after another, almost since the day that I bought it, and it's the car that I've been the most anal about maintenence on. I change the oil at every 5000 miles, even when the computer says that there is still 20% oil life left, and I use Valvoline full synthetic. And I watch all of the fluids and change them according to the schedule in the manual, which I've never done with a car this closely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts