GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Equinox LT2, purchased brand new in March of this year, have about 15k miles now. I noticed on my drive this morning that the temperature inside felt much warmer than normal. I work 6 days per week and commute ~70 miles per day, so I feel that I know the vehicle well. I've always used the AUTO feature and had no problems. It was blowing cool air, but it definitely wasn't blowing as much as normal... it actually just kind of feels like its cool around the vents, with very little air coming out, if that makes sense. I turned off auto, set the fan speed to the highest setting (12), temperature to the lowest (LO), and it was still blowing WAY less than I've heard it blow when it was blowing at a high fan speed/low temp setting. I should note that before I noticed a problem, I did notice a funny smell in the vehicle as I drove this morning. It smelled kind of like an old, musty house. I figured it was something outside in the air, but now I suspect it may have something to do with my problem.

Anyone ever experience anything like this or have any ideas of what it may be? I'm terribly disappointed that I'm having issues with a $30K car 6 months after buying it. With my work schedule, its going to be really hard to get to a dealer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like you may have burned a speed coil in your fan mod. It is rare in a new car -- but it is usually the problem when a speed or series of speeds suddenly do not work on the fan. I take it you tested it on heat - vent etc and got simular results? Needs to go in under warrenty...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick Tinley Park said:
Sounds like you may have burned a speed coil in your fan mod. It is rare in a new car -- but it is usually the problem when a speed or series of speeds suddenly do not work on the fan. I take it you tested it on heat - vent etc and got simular results? Needs to go in under warrenty...
I just brought it in, and of course on the way in it decided to start functioning again. And then, of course, the dealer is hesitant to look at it since it was working when I got there. I finally convinced them to look at it, but I don't expect much to happen...this is very annoying to have to deal with on a new car.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Please keep me posted regarding what you find at the dealer. I can also look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our 2010 Equinox HVAC started doing something similar. At first it didn't seem to be cooling, but this was during August in South LA. Well over the weekend, we figured out that it is not cooling out the passenger side vents. The driver side vents feel cool, but at not cold.

I have a dealer appointment Thursday to get the driver side lumbar issue fixed (waited weeks for Chevy engineering to design some screws) and will get them to check out this A/C problem we are having.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any update on this issue? I have the same problem and it has happened twice now. The fan seems to start out blowing normally, but gradually slows over a period of 1-2 hours being on. It slows down to a point where speed 6 feels like speed 1. After turning off the car and turning it back on, the fan seems to blow normally again.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
phancd said:
Is there any update on this issue? I have the same problem and it has happened twice now. The fan seems to start out blowing normally, but gradually slows over a period of 1-2 hours being on. It slows down to a point where speed 6 feels like speed 1. After turning off the car and turning it back on, the fan seems to blow normally again.
Have you been in contact with your local dealer? I would be happy to look into this for you as well. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of you VIN for more assistance. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My A/C blows softer when I turn on recirculate mode. Was your recirculation mode on when this occurred? The dealer told me they found one other used Terrain that behaved the same and therefore it was normal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This has happened to me twice. Each time I turned off the A/C system and turned it right back on. Everything was fine then. I'm waiting for it to happen a third time so that I can haul ass to the dealer. But simply turning it off and then back on has corrected the issue each time for me.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
jmlock said:
This has happened to me twice. Each time I turned off the A/C system and turned it right back on. Everything was fine then. I'm waiting for it to happen a third time so that I can haul ass to the dealer. But simply turning it off and then back on has corrected the issue each time for me.
jmlock,

Keep me posted. Let me know if this reoccurs or becomes more frequent. Contact me if you need anything else. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 Equniox with the same a/c problem. This past weekend on a trip we couldnt get much heat, the fan set on 12 sounds like it is blowning hard but not much air comes out. I had a appointment with my dealer this morning, when I started the Equinox the fan was blowing lots of air, drove to the dealer and talked with the service mang. he has never heard of this problem. I didn't leave as they can't fix if not broken.
Driving around today I did get it to repeate the problem. Switching from a/c mode to heat seems to be the cause, and the fan won't return to normal function untill the vehicle is restarted.

Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update on my Equinox. I called On Star about the A/C -air problem they recomeded to take it to the dealer for a diagnoses. I have made a appointment for next week.

Tom

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
tomde said:
Update on my Equinox. I called On Star about the A/C -air problem they recomeded to take it to the dealer for a diagnoses. I have made a appointment for next week.

Tom
They didn't ask for the last few digits of your VIN ? :deadhorse:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: Driving today, needed heat, turned on heater, worked for 20 minutes of driving and then went off. Has anyone had this problem resolved??
Tom

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
tomde,

This may be related to the HVAC control module. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected for additional assistance.

Please keep us posted.

Louis (assisting Tricia)
GM Customer Service

1 - 15 of 15 Posts