GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just some last pictures. I took it for a shakedown run of about 10 miles with a mix of in-town and highway driving and it performed great.

Here is the engine bay reassembled, before the hood went back on...

Now the engine bay with the hood re-installed...

The hood even closes! :) The damage was from a deer hit that happened a few weeks before the engine died. Now that it is running again, the kids are taking it in to get repaired.

And a rear 3/4 view

All-in, it took somewhere between 30 and 40 hours, when you include the time spent removing the donor engine at the salvage yard. Thank-you to everyone who provided advice throughout the process here in the forum, and for those before me who posted their experience online, too.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Good deal, I've done a bunch of motor swaps back in the '70's and '80's so doing a late model with no codes is fantastic.

Reactions: khnitz

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for sharing with us. You certainly put a lot of hard work into the the swap - and it shows! Change the oil and filter frequently and it will be a great SUV.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You were speaking of replacing the timing chain and guides on your 2.4 engine. The guides on my 2.4 2010 Terrainare starting to make noise qat low RPM, < 2,500 rpm. Do you have any idea how long the guides will go once they start making noise. Also, would you replace the chain and guides or is it better to replace the engine with a reman. I'm not a rich man so if the guides and chain will last another 3-6 months that would be good. I had the rings and pistons replaced at 110,000 and it currently has 250,000 on it. Also, do you think a reman engine companies have solved the oil cunsumption proble. I really like the car and want to keep it, but, I don't want a money pit, either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I don't have a lot of experience with these engines, other than helping my son and his wife by completing this engine swap. I would start a new thread asking for advice specific to your situation to get more help from others.

From my experience, I would run a compression check on all the cylinders to see how "healthy" they are. Besides the actual readings, the other important thing is to make sure all the cylinders are reading within a certain amount of each other (I've seen elsewhere that the lowest and highest readings should not be more than 20% apart, but you'll need to confirm that for this engine).

If the compression test is OK, then I would replace the timing chain and guides and keep rolling, always while keeping an eye on the oil level and oil consumption to make sure it doesn't get low. But you're already aware of the oil level precautions, with as many miles as you have on your Terrain :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Update...this engine celebrated the 4th of July early by exploding on the 3rd of July. We'll be looking for another replacement engine (there's no other option for my kids), and I get to go through this process all over again. Hopefully things will go quicker this time around, with all the previous experience I have o_O:rolleyes:

Borescope pics through the sparkplug holes of cylinders 2 & 3. The #2 piston is in pieces in the oil pan, I think.

The sparkplug in the cylinder 2 was mashed, as well (shown next to the plug from cylinder 3).

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks like a zero clearance issue where the timing chain has jumped due to worn guides or tensioners? Khnitz, might be wise if you go with another junkyard engine to replace those components before re-installing the next replacement engine or spend more for a quality re-built one and gain some peace of mind.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Post #32 shows new chains and guides installed.
Was there a warranty with the engine you bought??

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
We did spend $30 for the one year warranty, and I did a lot of preventive maintenance to the donor engine before it was installed. I will be contacting the yard in the morning and see what they can do to place me on a watch list for a suitable donor in an incoming car (Verano, some Regals and Captivas) or truck (Equinox or Terrain). I'd like to find one newer than 2013, but I don't think GM ever ironed out the issue in this motor, from my research.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts