GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car sat for a week, wife says the vehicle won't start, keyfob won't work, and the key won't come out of the ignition.

I'm pretty sure the battery is dead. The famous blue lights around the CD player (which were ALWAYS on) are now off. From other threads, this is TSB 11004 (or something like that) ... reprogram BCM. I'm going to charge the battery myself and then go to the dealer for the re-program, I guess.

But is the key stuck because the car has no power??? Or is the stuck key a separate problem???

I'll tell ya ... I STILL hear the "CLOP" noise from the front wheel(s) - which sounds like the beginning of a CV joint problem to me (although others have said it's an ABS startup test noise), and the hydraulic steering makes a noise like it's out of fluid when turning out of a parking spot.

This is the fourth brand new car I've purchased. It's the first to have THIS MANY issues THIS SOON. I didn't have ANY problems with the other three vehicles for AT LEAST 3 years !!!!

Not impressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem a while back and a piece of wire had fell in front of the shift lever and it would not go all the way into the park position. Drove me crazy for about 30 minutes. Removed the piece of wire and all was well/

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the "CLOP" sound and the noisy power steering also. They aren't issues, just the way the car is designed. The power steering should be quieter, but I have found a lot of cars with hydraulic steering are noisy at low speeds.

I have never heard of a CV joint making noise without the boot being torn and all the grease leaking out, and it is usually on turns while accelerating that you get that loud clicking noise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Key wont come out if the battery is completely dead. At least that's what the dealer told me when the Terrain on their lot had the key stuck in the ignition and the battery was dead

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
hirolln said:
Key wont come out if the battery is completely dead.
Wow, "nice" feature GM ! WTF

Wonder why they designed it that way ?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shifter APPEARED to be in PARK and I even grabbed and jiggled it to make sure it was "clicked" into PARK, so I don't think that's it.

I know these things might seem to be minor to many, but I'm so disgusted with this vehicle right now that it's gonna sit there with the key in it until the weekend.

The power steering on this car is defective. No doubt about it. NOW - it MIGHT be a defect you can live with for a long time, but it's defective nonetheless. Power steering is NOT supposed to make this type of noise or generate this kind of vibration. It's supposed to be S-M-O-O-T-H. I HAVE seen this kind of behavior with power steering in the past, though. I think it was on one of my parents' cars - at LEAST 15 years ago !!!

As for the "CLOP" noise, It happens when I'm turning out of a parking spot after initial start-up, but I swear I've ALSO heard it while making a turn during normal driving. That's why I think it's gonna turn out to be something more than a startup test noise. Just have to wait and see. And yes - normally a CV joint starts "clicking" after the boot tears and the grease becomes contaminated, but maybe these joints were under-greased or came with pre-contaminated grease .... I don't know. Like I said, just have to wait and see. But even if it turns out it IS only a startup test noise, why the heck is the test generating a noise that sounds like a serious axle issue??? And why isn't this documented in the owner's manual ???

As for the stuck key being a "feature" of the car ... can ANYONE think of a reason why you'd want your key stuck in the ignition if your battery is dead???

OK, I'll try:

1.) It's a good reminder that your battery is (still) dead

.... wondering now if the hood can be released with a dead battery ... if it can, it might be worth it to carry around a spare battery and check every Equinox you pass for a stuck key... :D

·
Registered
378 Posts
Colt Hero said:
.... wondering now if the hood can be released with a dead battery ... if it can, it might be worth it to carry around a spare battery and check every Equinox you pass for a stuck key... :D
Just break the window - the hood release is manual wire, no electricity involved. replace battery, disarm security with key fob and you are on your way.

Then watch your insurance deny your claim calling you leaving the key in ignition negligence.

Fun.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dead battery. Jumped it and on the third try turning the key (after waiting almost 10 minutes) it started (VERY weakly).

And the key came right out.

So there you have it ... two screw-ups:

1.) Interior lights kill the battery if the vehicle sits dormant too long (mine sat 10 days).

2.) Dead battery prevents key from being removed from ignition.

Absolutely pathetic !! How does stuff like this pass a system test ???

·
Registered
125 Posts
I shut off my Nox with the wheels turned as far as they would turn and had a very hard time getting the key out. When the wheels are straight or turned a little its no problem.

·
Registered
978 Posts
hfdad said:
I shut off my Nox with the wheels turned as far as they would turn and had a very hard time getting the key out. When the wheels are straight or turned a little its no problem.

...this is can happen to almost any car...and to GM's credit...is covered in the owners manual

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guy's, call your dealer. There's a service bulletin for electrical issue's on the EQ. Just had a client w a 2011 EQ and it was dying after sitting for more than 36hrs or so. All handled under warranty. Some kind of minor computer issue where all we had to do was reset the pcm. Solved the problem and it was all cool.

·
Registered
482 Posts
terryg75 said:
Guy's, call your dealer. There's a service bulletin for electrical issue's on the EQ. Just had a client w a 2011 EQ and it was dying after sitting for more than 36hrs or so. All handled under warranty. Some kind of minor computer issue where all we had to do was reset the pcm. Solved the problem and it was all cool.
I believe the issue requires re-program of 'BCM'

For the key getting stuck, I think it has something to do with some safety stuff. In normal operation you have to have vehicle in park or nutral to take key out and there has to be communication to ensure that, no power, nor communication. I have a 2001 pontiac it has happened quite a few times. Beyond the issue with the instrument panel lights not turning off (The TSB) there are normal parisitic drains on battery (security on both vehicle and radio I think) so started vechicle at least once a week is a good idea.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Colt Hero,

I am glad to hear that you have gotten the key out of the vehicle. I would recommend contacting your local dealership regarding the battery concern. Please feel free to keep me updated regarding the fix. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Poor attention to quality. Just no excuse for allowing things like this to reach the marketplace.

Lamps ALWAYS ON draining the battery .... you've got to be kidding, General Motors !!! I could hand a checklist to a Wal-Mart greeter and catch THAT one before a customer got stuck somewhere driving your poorly-tested vehicle !!!

As for the stuck key ... that's just poor design work. I know if I was sitting in a design meeting and someone pointed out that the key would get stuck in the ignition if the battery died, I would've said "That's Not Acceptable" !!! The key either HAS to come out, or you don't allow it to be inserted if the battery is dead. To allow it to be inserted AND get stuck is the worst possible scenario.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Actually, I think they accidently left this part out of the Owners Manual :

This vehicle is equipped with an
electronic key lock release system.
The key lock release is designed
to prevent ignition key removal
unless the shift lever is in P (Park).
The key lock release is always
functional except in the case of an
uncharged or low voltage (less than
9 volt) battery. If the vehicle has an
uncharged battery or a battery with
low voltage, try charging or jump
starting the battery.
If charging or jump starting the
battery does not work, remove the
plug covering the hole below the
ignition lock. Insert a screwdriver into
the opening as far as it will go and
remove the key from the ignition.

·
Registered
482 Posts
RIT333 said:
Actually, I think they accidently left this part out of the Owners Manual :

This vehicle is equipped with an
electronic key lock release system.
The key lock release is designed
to prevent ignition key removal
unless the shift lever is in P (Park).
The key lock release is always
functional except in the case of an
uncharged or low voltage (less than
9 volt) battery. If the vehicle has an
uncharged battery or a battery with
low voltage, try charging or jump
starting the battery.
If charging or jump starting the
battery does not work, remove the
plug covering the hole below the
ignition lock. Insert a screwdriver into
the opening as far as it will go and
remove the key from the ignition.

I had thought that might be a possiblity, but didn't look it up.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And if someone in that same meeting said "...the owner might have to stick a screwdriver into the ignition lock to get the key out", I would've replied the same way: "That's Unacceptable".

If you're gonna mechanically release the key by sticking a screwdriver into the steering column, then you can implement a button on the column to do the same thing.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Colt Hero said:
And if someone in that same meeting said "...the owner might have to stick a screwdriver into the ignition lock to get the key out", I would've replied the same way: "That's Unacceptable".

If you're gonna mechanically release the key by sticking a screwdriver into the steering column, then you can implement a button on the column to do the same thing.
Agreed ! Or they could have given us a free screwdriver ! :drunk:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Actually in this type of situation...

hfdad said:
Which is quite different from the OP's situation...it is in the owner manual...

The ignition switch can bind in the
LOCK/OFF position with the wheels
turned off center. If this happens,
move the steering wheel from right
to left while turning the key to ACC/
ACCESSORY[/color]

Most commonly occurs when parked on hills...facing up or down...with the steering wheel turned all the way. If the ignition switch binds, the key won't come out.

The easiest way to release the tension is to turn the steering wheel ever so slightly even further in the direction the wheel was turned...and it will release. Very common in lots of cars.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts