GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at possibly buying a 2011 Chevy Equinox. It has everything I am looking for with relatively low miles. However, where I live we do get snow. I live in a rural area were plows come after it's done snowing. I have a driveway with a 30 degree incline. How will it handle in 5-6 inches of snow up a 30 degree incline? I'm home alone until Thursday night most weeks. A lot of nights I get home late and really can't be up late as I go in early the next day. So I may wait a day before I can shovel the snow. I am looking for a newer vehicle than what I have (2001 Subaru Outback). I had issues with that up the driveway but I believe because there wasn't enough ground clearance. Pretty sure it handles the flat roads fine. Just looking for something that will make it up my driveway so I don't have to shovel right away. I can do it on a day I get home early and go in later.

Also I know the 2010 - 2012 I think had the 2.4 engine issues ( or so I've read on other forums) Does the 3.0L V6 have the same issues? Are there other issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks!
Mel

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
First, Welcome to the Forum.

The Equinox can be pretty good in snow with the right tires. And yes, V6 AWD would be best. Member Buggsey might be around to give his experience with going to AWD and a steeper driveway IIRC.

Plus, if you look around and can swing the price, most here would strongly advise a 2013 or newer with the 3.6L V6 engine. Even if it had 60,000 to 70,000 well maintained miles on it.
The 3.0L V6 can be hit or miss. By the 2013 model year, Equinox/Terrain 3.6L V6 became a very reliable drive train and vehicle.

Putting it another way, I would give the same advise to a family member . . emphatically!

Happy and successful Equinox shopping to you !

·
Registered
242 Posts
with the right tires it shouldnt be an issue. Much more snow than that or turning into the driveway at the bottom where the plow has left slide off from plowing the roads would be the only issue I could foresee in my opinion. Much more than 6-8 might be troublesome

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yeah, I have a pretty steep driveway too. It also curves making for a worse situation. I'm also in a similar situation where I can't always go clear the snow right away. Previously, I had a FWD Pontiac Grand Prix. No mater the tires I had on it, the drive was a bear to climb up. Some times I'd get home from work and I could get up the drive way with a good running start. Other times I had to park on the road (narrow country road) and walk up to get a shovel and clear two paths for the tires to get grip.
Even my 4x4 pickup with new ATs struggled in 2WD mode. It was pretty much a guarantee that I was going to have to shift into 4WD at the bottom.

Since the fall of 2014 when we bought an AWD Equinox, I haven't complained about the driveway once. It has never let us down. It's nice at intersections in town to just push the gas pedal and the car goes forward without a care.

Your experience will vary. My Grand Prix was pretty good in the snow, but the low ground clearance, my and my in-laws driveways, and country plows sealed the deal for us on an AWD.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
Yeah, I have a pretty steep driveway too. It also curves making for a worse situation. I'm also in a similar situation where I can't always go clear the snow right away. Previously, I had a FWD Pontiac Grand Prix. No mater the tires I had on it, the drive was a bear to climb up. Some times I'd get home from work and I could get up the drive way with a good running start. Other times I had to park on the road (narrow country road) and walk up to get a shovel and clear two paths for the tires to get grip.
Even my 4x4 pickup with new ATs struggled in 2WD mode. It was pretty much a guarantee that I was going to have to shift into 4WD at the bottom.

Since the fall of 2014 when we bought an AWD Equinox, I haven't complained about the driveway once. It has never let us down. It's nice at intersections in town to just push the gas pedal and the car goes forward without a care.

Your experience will vary. My Grand Prix was pretty good in the snow, but the low ground clearance, my and my in-laws driveways, and country plows sealed the deal for us on an AWD.
Buggsy - what tires did you use for your AWD ?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Buggsy - what tires did you use for your AWD ?
Just the factory tires. We traded the 2014 Nox a few months ago, so I can't say for sure what they were. Sorry.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I live in North East NJ and we can get a lot of snow and the terrain is "hilly" in my area. The one thing I've noticed is my AWD Nox has never had an issue getting going with the stock Michelin tires. This includes going up untreated hills in the middle of storms from a dead stop. Roads in my area are typically plowed every few hours so we rarely see 6" of snow on them but I have seen 3-4" a few times. What I have noticed is I do need to be very careful slowing down and turning. Hit the brakes to hard and the ABS will activate rather quickly on snow cover roads. Turning too quickly can create massive understeer pushing you out of your desired turning line. I'm sure things would improve quite a bit with dedicated snow tires but I'm OK sticking with the OEM tires for now. Just need to be careful...

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm in Canada with a 13 V6 AWD and we didn't have much in the way of major snows this year but I had zero issues getting around in the snow and slush. I used Michelin X Ice snows and loved them. I was skeptical at first but they won me over. When other cars were struggling to get up hills I just drove right around them. If you have unplowed inclined driveway a Nox with AWD and snows should make life a lot easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I did look for a 2012 but most of them even with 60,000 are still out of my price range. This is not a permanent car just something newer than what I have and that will work for what I need it to. Will probably buy new in about 4-5 years or so. Was surprised because when I did a search for lower mileage Equinox they only had 09 or older. So this was the newest one I found within my budget. It has a little over 100,000 and I hope to get the dealer down from the asking price as I feel it's a little pricey for the mileage it has on it. It may have all the bells and whistles but that shouldn't matter. Besides my fiance works at an auto auction and just so happens we looked up the VIN and it was sold at the auto auction he works for. So we know what they paid for it, and how long they've had it. So hopefully that will work to our advantage.

Here is a link to the one that I'm looking at.

http://www.lynchgmsuperstore.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Chevrolet-Equinox-LT_w/2LT-Burlington-WI/2963852093

Mel

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not a bad looking rig .... I really like the two tone interior and leather. Only thing that gives me pause is the trailer hitch. I generally shy away from cars that do towing as you never know how they were cared for and if there could be tranny issues down the road. A little silly I guess but I've seen a lot of cowboys out there towing stuff.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I did look for a 2012 but most of them even with 60,000 are still out of my price range. This is not a permanent car just something newer than what I have and that will work for what I need it to. Will probably buy new in about 4-5 years or so. Was surprised because when I did a search for lower mileage Equinox they only had 09 or older. So this was the newest one I found within my budget. It has a little over 100,000 and I hope to get the dealer down from the asking price as I feel it's a little pricey for the mileage it has on it. It may have all the bells and whistles but that shouldn't matter. Besides my fiance works at an auto auction and just so happens we looked up the VIN and it was sold at the auto auction he works for. So we know what they paid for it, and how long they've had it. So hopefully that will work to our advantage.

Here is a link to the one that I'm looking at.

http://www.lynchgmsuperstore.com/VehicleDetails/used-2011-Chevrolet-Equinox-LT_w/2LT-Burlington-WI/2963852093

Mel

Very nice Equinox and does look ok. Wondering if you could somehow get a Carfax on it since you have the VIN? I have purchased from the dealer in years past when we lived in the area. They were generally a good dealer back then. . . 20 years ago or so.

I agree, 2011 and $10,000 is still pretty high. Maybe have you fiance look under the hood for nicks and dings on bolts or part surfaces . . . . a sign repairs may have been done.

Look under the oil filler cap and see if it is discolored. It should just look clean a like the black rubber/plastic it is. Pull the engine oil dipstick and see how the oil smells and looks. It should have just been changed if it is for sale on the dealer lot.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm in Canada with a 13 V6 AWD and we didn't have much in the way of major snows this year but I had zero issues getting around in the snow and slush. I used Michelin X Ice snows and loved them. I was skeptical at first but they won me over. When other cars were struggling to get up hills I just drove right around them. If you have unplowed inclined driveway a Nox with AWD and snows should make life a lot easier.
My wife's Sienna had the Michelin ice x on it last winter.
They were fantastic on an icy windy night. Highway was pure ice and it had perfect traction.
Got them because reviews say they actually last their 40k waranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found it through Autotrader.com and it has a free report. No accidents and everything checks out. The first 70,000 miles or so there really isn't any maintenance records. But it could have been someone like my fiance who does his own oil changes so there would be no record of it. But once it hit a dealer it was checked regularly. But I did tell my fiance to look underneath the vehicle. The Subaru had low miles when we bought it but within a year we were replacing almost the complete exhaust system because it must have sat outside a while. So I already planned on having him check it out fully before we do anything and test drive it.

We plan on test driving it today. If i like it and it checks out we may put an offer in. But they have already come down on the price and it's been sitting with the dealership chain for a while. So hopefully they will deal.

Mel

·
Registered
657 Posts
I found it through Autotrader.com and it has a free report. No accidents and everything checks out. The first 70,000 miles or so there really isn't any maintenance records. But it could have been someone like my fiance who does his own oil changes so there would be no record of it. But once it hit a dealer it was checked regularly. But I did tell my fiance to look underneath the vehicle. The Subaru had low miles when we bought it but within a year we were replacing almost the complete exhaust system because it must have sat outside a while. So I already planned on having him check it out fully before we do anything and test drive it.

We plan on test driving it today. If i like it and it checks out we may put an offer in. But they have already come down on the price and it's been sitting with the dealership chain for a while. So hopefully they will deal.

Mel
You may ask the service department for a service record on it and for any recalls and completed recalls on it.
They would have any repair records especially for warranty work.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm with you there. X-ice and AWD V6 and I was out in the worst our Atlantic Canada winter had to throw at us and it's darn near unstoppable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts