GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

cpu program upgrade increased mpg 27 to 32

  • Computer reprogram

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mileage increase

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initially when car was new we got 32.5 mpg from Maryland to Canada. Over time the highway MPG decreased to 27. I took it back to GMC dealer and there was a computer reprogram code for mileage. It is not a safety issue so they won't advertise it. Getting 31 mpg on the road now. John J in Maryland
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
At what highway speed are you specifically referring to? This makes a big difference also.

And do you know what the "reprogram code for mileage" is? What update did they use specifically, or did they just do a general update?

Also, did you mean to just create a regular new topic, and not a poll? Just making sure you're not looking for poll results here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I'm jealous,last tank in eco mode was 21.6, 45-65 avg speeds
3200 miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
Tjpc said:
I'm jealous,last tank in eco mode was 21.6, 45-65 avg speeds
3200 miles
Hmm, have you had an oil change yet? If not, try that, it helped my mileage after my first oil change. I average 24 mixed city/hwy, with my hwy speeds being mostly 70. Anyways, might help. (Mine is always in Eco mode)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
300 Posts
Janoskoiii said:
Initially when car was new we got 32.5 mpg from Maryland to Canada. Over time the highway MPG decreased to 27. I took it back to GMC dealer and there was a computer reprogram code for mileage. It is not a safety issue so they won't advertise it. Getting 31 mpg on the road now. John J in Maryland
What you're saying kind of blows my mind, did the dealer say there was a problem with just a few vehicles or is the reprogramming available for anyone that wants it done? Also, are you actually figuring your mileage or are you going by what the DIC shows?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
This post is a little misleading. A legitimate question to ask here is, "Have you manually calculated what you're getting and does it jive with the DIC reading"? PI0370 is GMC's response to people complaining about low fuel economy on the DIC. It was the BS solution that was placed into my car when I complained (am still complaining) about the crappy gas mileage of my 2011 4cy Terrain. This is a little smoke in mirrors since all it does, if you're getting crappy DIC readings, is reprogram to differently calculate your MPG. The real sign that this was just to appease/dupe those who are getting crappy gas mileage is the fact there is also a fix for people reporting TOO HIGH MPG for their cars... Yeah, like I would ever complain about that.

Mine bumped my MPG up about .5 to a staggering average of 22-23.... Can you see me cheering? Didn't think so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Sumr616 said:
Hmm, have you had an oil change yet? If not, try that, it helped my mileage after my first oil change. I average 24 mixed city/hwy, with my hwy speeds being mostly 70. Anyways, might help. (Mine is always in Eco mode)
I changed at 2570 with Castrol Syntech and Bosche filter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
APCassidy said:
This post is a little misleading. A legitimate question to ask here is, "Have you manually calculated what you're getting and does it jive with the DIC reading"? PI0370 is GMC's response to people complaining about low fuel economy on the DIC. It was the BS solution that was placed into my car when I complained (am still complaining) about the crappy gas mileage of my 2011 4cy Terrain. This is a little smoke in mirrors since all it does, if you're getting crappy DIC readings, is reprogram to differently calculate your MPG. The real sign that this was just to appease/dupe those who are getting crappy gas mileage is the fact there is also a fix for people reporting TOO HIGH MPG for their cars... Yeah, like I would ever complain about that.

Mine bumped my MPG up about .5 to a staggering average of 22-23.... Can you see me cheering? Didn't think so...
I have manually calculated my MPG a few times and it jives with DIC, within 1 MPG. So I know that I am getting crappy mileage with accurate readings..haha. I wish I could average 27+, but don't understand how I get some much less than others, with similar driving. If I am just city driving (SoCal, so a lot of signals), I get about 19MPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Driving in SoCal definitely changes it. If I get on the freeway the DIC says I'm getting about 30, but driving around town (west hollywood) I'm lucky if I can get over 15. Since I moved here I've never had a full tank reach 200 miles unless I'm doing 100% freeway driving. If I drive around town I'm lucky if I can get 180 miles per tank. It sucks. I just don't understand how my mileage can go up while I'm driving around town, but sitting at a light or parked in a driveway it will drop from 22 to 13 in less than 2 minutes. I figured being stopped would keep it up and driving would make it go down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Mine got 24.5 mpg until I had transmission shifting problems. Took it in and got the trans filter changed under warranty and now getting consistently 28.5 to 29 mpg.

I have 22100 miles on it now FWD 4 cyl SLT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
I don't understand the poll questions. :facepalm:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,485 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
I don't understand the poll questions. :facepalm:
Join the crowd.

:drunk:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
xonecrazymofox said:
Driving in SoCal definitely changes it. If I get on the freeway the DIC says I'm getting about 30, but driving around town (west hollywood) I'm lucky if I can get over 15. Since I moved here I've never had a full tank reach 200 miles unless I'm doing 100% freeway driving. If I drive around town I'm lucky if I can get 180 miles per tank. It sucks. I just don't understand how my mileage can go up while I'm driving around town, but sitting at a light or parked in a driveway it will drop from 22 to 13 in less than 2 minutes. I figured being stopped would keep it up and driving would make it go down.
Mine is not that bad. It have seen about 2-3 MPG drop in a span of about 30 minutes while city driving and haven't seen less than 18MPG. Hollywood is busy and I can see it being on the low end for sure, but your reading seem extreme, maybe even warranting a visit to the dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
xonecrazymofox said:
Driving in SoCal definitely changes it. If I get on the freeway the DIC says I'm getting about 30, but driving around town (west hollywood) I'm lucky if I can get over 15. Since I moved here I've never had a full tank reach 200 miles unless I'm doing 100% freeway driving. If I drive around town I'm lucky if I can get 180 miles per tank. It sucks. I just don't understand how my mileage can go up while I'm driving around town, but sitting at a light or parked in a driveway it will drop from 22 to 13 in less than 2 minutes. I figured being stopped would keep it up and driving would make it go down.
Are you resetting the avg right before you stop? (worth asking, I guess) Because the avg on the DIC is based a lot on time spans. So, if you reset it right before you stop at a red light, and then idle for a few minutes, it will drop quickly, because essentially, in real life terms, you are getting 0 mpg at that point. You're burning gas, and not moving. Likewise, if you reset the avg while you're cruising at 55, it quickly goes up from 22 to 32mpg.

However, if you have let the avg "calculate" for the last week of driving, and THEN you stop and idle for two minutes, and that's when it's dropping from 22 to 13, then yes, you probably have an issue going.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Switch out of defrost mode


Many of today’s vehicles turn on the A/C automatically when you turn on defroster mode, many without illuminating the A/C indicator. You may inadvertently be driving around with your A/C compressor engaged which is killing your mileage. Check it out on your vehicle! These vehicles the Terrain and the Equinox are one of them, so switch out of defrost if it is safe to do so. CHEERS :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sumr616 said:
At what highway speed are you specifically referring to? This makes a big difference also.

And do you know what the "reprogram code for mileage" is? What update did they use specifically, or did they just do a general update?

Also, did you mean to just create a regular new topic, and not a poll? Just making sure you're not looking for poll results here.
averaged 65 to 70 miles per hour on highway. Consistently 31 MPG now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
31 MPG on the road at 65-70 MPH. The computer "reflash" is available to anyone that complains about the mileage. I have 41,000 on it and I very happy with the performance. We'll see how it lasts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,485 Posts
Janoskoiii said:
31 MPG on the road at 65-70 MPH. The computer "reflash" is available to anyone that complains about the mileage. I have 41,000 on it and I very happy with the performance. We'll see how it lasts.
Is this a re-flash of the tranny's shift algorithm ? Do you know the "recall" numbers, and will they do it after the 3/36 is over, for free ?

THX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Janoskoiii said:
31 MPG on the road at 65-70 MPH. The computer "reflash" is available to anyone that complains about the mileage. I have 41,000 on it and I very happy with the performance. We'll see how it lasts.
That's fantastic!! :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I think outside temperature has alot to do the the DIC calculation. I always do both on all my fills. During the winter months here in Canada my DIC average is ALWAYS worse than the hand method, by a good margin. If I do alot of stop-go city just after a fill-up the average tanks and it takes alot of highway to improve it.

Now that the warmer weather is here I am finding the DIC closer to the hand math. My last fill up yesterday netted me 7.8L/100 (~36 MPG or 30 MPG US) in 80/20 driving. Not too shabby. My same route in winter would net me ~29 MPG (23 MPG US). City driving, as all of you have witnessed first hand, sucks big time. I am waiting to see if the new 2.5L will better. Ironic thing is GM (Canada anyway) is pushing to trade in the 2010s. I got a letter from them last week waving a big carrot to trade in my 2010 for a 2013. Probably to get them off the road and avoid embarrassment? Hmmmmm did they not do that to the EV1, quietly collect them and poof!

As an aside, I have read numerous times about the complaints of a "clacky" engine from the 2.4. Yah it is noisier than your averge non-DI engine. WE harp on GM about it. My neighbou just got himself a KIA Optima with a 2.4L GDI. Let me tell you it ain't any better, and his just came off the line.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top