GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just short of 1200 miles on clock. I know people will say mileage will get better with break, but this is ridiculous. Current tank is getting 17 mpg and our weather has been warmer here the last week or so than rest of December was. 17 is unacceptable. My wife doesn't drive it hard and only warms it up a couple minutes on the coldest days. I would have bought a 6 cyl if I would have known GM was lying about the mpg estimates. 17 mpg doesn't even fall in the city range on the sticker.

I'm not a fan of Toyota, but my dad has a Camry and he's getting better mpg than sticker stated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would be mad with 17 mpg.
They day I picked up my Terrain it had 6 miles on it and I put 100 miles on it by the end of the day.
60 miles were city in stop and go and the other 40 on the hwy.
By the end of the day I was at 21+ mpg.
I have seen 26+ hwy but that was just a shot trip and I probably do 70% city and 30% HWY and have seen a high of 23 mpg.
Still have less then 1000 miles on her.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Wait until you have over 5k on it and have done an oil change and then get back to us. ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NoobNox said:
Wait until you have over 5k on it and have done an oil change and then get back to us. ;)
I'm trying my best to wait this out, but I'm not a very patient person. :D Especially when I paid $26k for a car and based a lot of my decision on sticker stated mpg.

I'm old fashioned so the first oil change was done at 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
tsduke said:
I'm trying my best to wait this out, but I'm not a very patient person. :D Especially when I paid $26k for a car and based a lot of my decision on sticker stated mpg.

I'm old fashioned so the first oil change was done at 1000 miles.
Manufacturers use every trick and loophole they can to get the EPA numbers they proudly advertise...but often it is hard to equal that in the real world. I'm sure that the EPA figure was reached with a well broken in engine on a 2WD LS, and driving no faster than 65mph on flat roads and using 100% regular unleaded. (no 10% ethanol that many of us have to use) The last road trip I took I got about 28.7 which I feel is pretty **** good for a vehicle that weighs nearly 4000lbs.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This has been posted many times. Lots of people are unhappy with their MPG. Im holding out in hopes that it will improve over time.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Im at around 3000 on my 2011 Terrain I4 AWD. seeing around 19-20 MPG.. and I have been in the ECO mode..I think the best I have seen has been around 22 MPG. I was getting around 16 MPG when I first got her, and drove with the ECO off.. Will watch to see how it improves or not..either way, Im so happy with this vehicle! much more enjoyable to drive then my previous Chevy HHR. (that Vehicle had the 2.4L I4,was getting around 24 MPG with that vehicle).

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
wrusprod said:
Im at around 3000 on my 2011 Terrain I4 AWD. seeing around 19-20 MPG.. and I have been in the ECO mode..I think the best I have seen has been around 22 MPG. I was getting around 16 MPG when I first got her, and drove with the ECO off.. Will watch to see how it improves or not..either way, Im so happy with this vehicle! much more enjoyable to drive then my previous Chevy HHR. (that Vehicle had the 2.4L I4,was getting around 24 MPG with that vehicle).
My wife got the same with her '08 HHR 2.4 (24+)..and 31.7 was her highest MPG on HWY. However..when she first got it...the gas mileage wasn't that great...but slowly crept up. She also liked her HHR. I did too..but thought the pickup and passing left much to be desired. This LTZ is much more peppy..quiet..smooth..and comfortable. A little more HP..but the 6 speed tranny & rearend make much of the diff. I'm not sure that the HHR was actually direct injection. Fuel injected..yes..but that may have been all..
She has 2700 mi on her LTZ and getting 18-20 MPG with remote cold starts and in town driving.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Give. It. Time. Right now, just drive it like a normal vehicle. After about 7-8k miles, start to worry about the MPG if it hasnt got better. Plus, you will know the vehicle better and know how to drive it to get better MPG. Its all really simple stuff.

Everything has to break in. Literally, everything. When we first got our Terrain we would average around 20. Now, during the winter as well, we are getting around 23-24 in the city.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe there is not conspiracy, but how are they getting 22/32 on the sticker when nobody gets it. Why do I have to wait until 10k miles which is almost a year for us to get advertised mpg? Why can a 2011 Camry get better than window mpg right out of the gate??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gents,
I think we all know our driving style, condition of the vehicle, terrain and weather will determine our MPG. Recent trip from St Louis to Memphis in our 2010 4cyl Nox/3000miles on the Vehicle/TirePressure 39-40psi/Dry Road Surface/Outside AirTemp 42F/311 miles/CruiseControl 60mph/ Zero Wind/MPG 34.1. On the return trip the only difference - 20mph headwind/Outside AirTemp 35F and more of a up hill travel on Interstate 55 to St Louis from Memphis. MPG 26.5 Good numbers :). I understand it is nearly impossible to maintain 60mph on most of our Hwys today. In South Florida driving 60mph on Interstate 95 you might find an 18 Wheeler trying to coming up over your rear bumper. Good Luck
CDR/USN/Ret.
PS Always compute your own MPG#'s

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
tsduke said:
Maybe there is not conspiracy, but how are they getting 22/32 on the sticker when nobody gets it. Why do I have to wait until 10k miles which is almost a year for us to get advertised mpg? Why can a 2011 Camry get better than window mpg right out of the gate??
Because DI engines take longer to break in. Plus, the EPA tests vehicles with 5k miles or more.

·
Registered
626 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
I am tired of hearing how there is a conspiracy by auto manufacturers to falsify their mileage ratings when in fact the government has control of them.
I too am tired of all the conspiracy theorists. Come on people, nobody's out to "get you" by intentionally falsifying test results. The consequences would be too severe. As others have stated, there are tons of factors that play into your actual mileage. I'd be surprised if even 1 out of 100 vehicles has an actual problem.

Good post gmiemigrad, well written. Thank you.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...2-3 days later and avg mpg is down to 16.5. Crap my 05 Silverado averages 14.5 with cold weather and winter gas. The Freestar 4.2L we traded off was only a tad worse than we are getting with the Nox. And to those mentioning driving style, our driving style is very much for fuel economy.

Look, I love my Chevy's, always have. But no literature, no salesman, no commercial told me to be patient with the mpg each time they told me it got 22/32mpg. I think I have a right to be upset and concerned with the initial mileage of my $27k car. We love everything else about this car. I only have 2 complaints. MPG and a slow/hanging 2/3 shift.

At least with this car I can relate to "like a rock", cuz my mpg is "dropping like a rock".

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
tsduke said:
Well...2-3 days later and avg mpg is down to 16.5.[/color] Crap my 05 Silverado averages 14.5 with cold weather and winter gas. The Freestar 4.2L we traded off was only a tad worse than we are getting with the Nox. And to those mentioning driving style, our driving style is very much for fuel economy.

Look, I love my Chevy's, always have. But no literature, no salesman, no commercial told me to be patient with the mpg each time they told me it got 22/32mpg. I think I have a right to be upset and concerned with the initial mileage of my $27k car. We love everything else about this car. I only have 2 complaints. MPG and a slow/hanging 2/3 shift.

At least with this car I can relate to "like a rock", cuz my mpg is "dropping like a rock".
If you're getting MPG info via the DIC, be sure to reset the AVG MPG after each fill up.
A tip I learned here on the forums.
I was letting it run forever (as I always had with other vehicles) and was not getting a true MPG because of a lot of idle time.
;)
Not too concerned about MPG yet and never really have been, but if these gas prices keep creeping up (now at $109.9 CDN per litre here in SW Ontario), we'll surely dump our sedan (my daily ride) for something more economical.

·
Registered
16 Posts
your driving habits will affect mpgs, winter blend of gas will affect mpgs. this is a fact. track your mpgs on your own, not from the DIC. when i first pick my Terrain up, i was averaging 18 mpg city. now, 4000 miles later, 24 city. i just recently took a trip, 90 miles on the highway and i averaged 38 one steady speed.... you decied.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We reset the DIC each tank. And I have manually checked one tank. Also asked my wife to jot mileage down for me when she fills up from now on. We were getting 19-21's mpg in late October early November before it colder than a blankety blank out. Maybe I should buy a new car in the summer from now on.

gmiemigrad: 2-3 shift issue seems more severe cold, but I notice it when warm too. The pause just seems a bit long to me. Unless I'm getting on it I feel like the car actually slows down. I need to take it for a good trip since it's my wife's dd I don't drive it a lot. The 6 speed definitely is a different driving experience to get used to.

·
Registered
626 Posts
tsduke said:
We were getting 19-21's mpg in late October early November before it colder than a blankety blank out.
I commented somewhere in another thread the same thing...got my car Nov 1, and the mpg ranged from 25 to just under 30 (which was part of a 440 mile highway round trip). Suddenly it got cold and mileage dropped to about 23-24. Judging from the DIC instantaneous gauge it looks like below about 40 deg F the mileage plummets. And the addition of ethanol to the gas doesn't help at all.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
gmiemigrad said:
Well, 16.5 mpg could be troubling - I did get 22 mpg right away when new - just the highway mileage is not where I would like.

I too experience a slow 2/3 shift - especially when cold. How bad is the slow/hanging shift in yours and is it only when cold??

Our transmissions use clutch-to-clutch shifting (except the 1-2 shift) - which means one clutch must disengage and another must engage at the same time to make the shift. Timing is critical - too quick and the clutches will fight each other. To slow - and you will feel the interruption in the power flow before the next clutch engages. Older transmissions used sprags and overrun clutches so that during a shift, the higher gear clutch engages to pick up the power flow before the lower gear clutch disengages. While this method makes for smooth shifts - it adds weight, size, and complexity to the transmission.

While current day microprocessors have enabled the ECM to handle the clutch timing with all of the variables involved (temperature, fluid viscosity, engine speed, vehicle speed, engine torque, throttle position, etc.) - the shift quality really can't be compared completely to a older style transmission where timing is not critical.
That's awesome info, thanks GMI EMI Grad for taking the time to teach some of us.
;)
I'm just sayin...great to have real tech type feedback in layman's terms.
Sorry, carry on.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Dont rely on the DIC for MPG. It really drops the MPG even if you idle a tiny bit. Just 2-4 mins of remote start and ours drops .5 MPG consistently.

Also, if you dont think your dealer is listening to you, find another one or call GM to complain. Ours always has an answer for literally every question we ask and if they dont, they will find out. I guess that is a plus of it being a former Saturn dealer.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts