GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back from my (at least 17th) New England trip with my 2011 Equinox after the new year, removed my LeBra (which I only use on these long drives), and noticed this larger-than-nickel-sized piece of paint missing! As you can probably tell from the picture, the primer underneath is still in pristine condition, and there doesn't appear to be any trauma to the metal (ie: nothing hit the vehicle).

Looks like the paint just "flew off"!

Draw your own conclusions ...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
My conclusion is that, since you are the only person on this forum that has reported such a problem, I would say that your brassiere was the underlying cause. When you go back to the dealer, I would not mention that you sometimes wear a bra because it may hurt your case.

IMHO

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I won’t be going back to the dealer, and since the bra has been used about 16 times for these trips since 2011, I think the extreme cold may have had something to do with it.

But it’s also a defective paint job any time paint separates from the primer in this fashion.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
That looks like the paint was rubbed in that spot by the bra.

I quit using those things because after time, they do not fit as when new and definitely not the best when in cold weather. The wind at highway speeds can just enough flutter to make the bra move rapidly or slap against certain spots.

That's what it looks like to me and probably was doing that for some time till finally now when it abraded completely through the clear and base paint coats.

Sometimes a problem is induced by owner operation. It appears so in this case.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
JayTee -

I got to thinking about that paint chip, and I really wonder if it actually did happen. Unless we see a video of the paint actually disappearing. then I would guess that it could possibly be an unhappy GM customer that has photo-shopped his car photo to put negativity on GM's reputation. After all, this is the only reported occurrence of this phenomena on any of the Gen. 2 Lambdas !

So, ColtHero, did you happen to have a dash-cam under you bra with a video that you can post for us to analyze ?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Looks like the paint just "flew off"!

Draw your own conclusions ...
Can't tell from the small picture. Is it a wear make with smooth edges or a flake with rough edges.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I’m gonna give credit where credit is due here: JayTee’s probably right! The bra never *really* was able to fit tight to the hood because of its shape. So, even though I had it on there as tight as possible, I’d see it fluttering (the last couple years, anyway) right where those hood contours were.

So it could probably be attributed to the bra in some way.

But still - you’d expected a “line” beaten through the paint. Not a large chip flying off like this. Maybe that spot got “tapped” repeatedly on say, the last 6 of the 16 total 1700 mile round-trip drives over the last 3 calendar years, but the paint adherence had to be weak underneath to come off like it did, I would say.

We’ll see if the paint starts flaking off elsewhere, like it ended up doing with my 2002 Impala.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m gonna give credit where credit is due here: JayTee’s probably right! The bra never really was able to fit tight to the hood because of its shape. So, even though I had it on there as tight as possible, I’d see it fluttering (the last couple years, anyway) right where those hood contours were.

So it could probably be attributed to the bra in some way.
I'm now gonna backtrack on the bra as a cause of the paint flaking for two reasons:

1.) A co-worker started working recently with us and owns a 2012 Equinox LT (AWD) and ... his Nox has the same problem ... paint flaking off ... and no bra ever used.

2.) I stopped using the bra two years ago, but the paint keeps flaking off. The paint is just incredibly THIN.

And I just ran across this post on the Impala Forum (regarding a 2006 Impala) which explained the problem my Aunt's 1990 Calais had years ago when it was just 4 or 5 years old: large chips of paint separating from the primer coat below on the vehicle's flat surfaces: roof, trunk, hood:

@kencar said:

"Well people, seems they didn't learn their lesson from the disaster with paint in the mid 80's. I used to be a factory rep for Pontiac in the early 90's and I can't tell you how many partial and total repaints of cars I authorized for customers with peeling paint issues for cars made from 1985-90. It was unbelievable. They never did issue a formal recall, but almost every car made back then, especially in the southern states, had paint that would eventually peel. What was the reason you ask? It was 2 fold. 1) Money and Government regulation 2) bad product from the supplier. the Govn't made all car companies move from enamel paints to water based paints for clean air regulations. PPG or Dupont, can't remember, dropped the ball when they came out with a so called UV protective clear coat that didn't work. This was suppose to allow GM to use less mills of paint to cover because the clear would protect the paint, didn't work. The UV penetrated the clear coat then the thinner paint layer and turned the primer to powder which caused the paint to peel off. They never owned up to the problem, but billed the supplier for all the repaints they had to do.
Looks like they have done something similar again and now 20 yrs. later, we are back with peeling paints again. This is why my car and your cars have paint falling off or something along these lines and GM will never own up to their mistake, as usual. This is why I worked for them for 30+ years and will never buy another GM car, they don't stand behind their products"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts