GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Sounds like you did a good repair but might have to clean those solenoids a few more times as some of that residual debris gets caught in them?

Might want to filter your waste oil, too, to see what comes out on that end?

Also, did you try to measure the deflection on the chain? I remember watching one video (and you’ve probably seen it, too) where the (accented) guy shows the chain deflection between two sprocket/actuators. Initially, to me, it looked OK, but I guess it’s supposed to be straight, tight, and taught across the two sprockets

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks. My main concern was that tensioner releasing and keeping the chain taught. I am not sure how to measure that, but when I checked this time, it seemed to be fairly taught. It does vary some on where you check, as in at the top between the sprockets or on each lower side. Across the top, it is fairly tight, with the sides a little less, but likely due to that being where the tensioner is. I think it is as it should be though. Agreed on checking those solenoids.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Thanks. My main concern was that tensioner releasing and keeping the chain taught. I am not sure how to measure that, but when I checked this time, it seemed to be fairly taught. It does vary some on where you check, as in at the top between the sprockets or on each lower side. Across the top, it is fairly tight, with the sides a little less, but likely due to that being where the tensioner is. I think it is as it should be though. Agreed on checking those solenoids.

Maybe run some good detergent oil additive [ I like Marvel Mystery Oil ] through the engine for a day of driving or so. . . not too long. I've done this with some real gummed up engines and adding that to the existing oil right before an oil change can clean out gum and debris. Then drain and refill with a good synthetic oil. There are lot's to choose from these days. I found Citgo to be reasonable and they also make house brand synthetic oil for places like Farm & Fleet and others.
If there are particles on the camshaft actuator solenoid screens, were they metal or black carbon-like?

·
Registered
207 Posts
it is very easy to obsess over the tightness of timing chain belts. follow procedure, set it and forget it, hope for the best.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts