GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help? Looks like the leak is under the rear tail light and seeping in slowly (bad corner seals?). Also quite a bit of water under the spare tire that had made its way to the rear and front seat carpets. Can this be fixed or does it need to see a dealer or mechanic? Vehicle in great condition otherwise with less than 180k kms.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I don’t know how nimble you are, but I’d be popping off plastic panels and hopping in the back while someone sprays a hose in a very precise spot (*not* all over, as if washing).

Step 1 is determining where exactly the water is getting in.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Can this be fixed or does it need to see a dealer or mechanic?

I don't believe that the dealer has any special fairy-dust that they can sprinkle on it to repair it. Follow Colt's advice and you certainly can fix it yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too had the same issue on my 2010 terrain. After a few days of rain I found 5-6 inches of water with my spare tire. After some digging I found out the rubber seals around the brake lights were bad. When you open your trunk/back gate, you’ll notice that the terrain’a design allows for water to come in from the top (crack of trunk/gate door) and run down over the brake light seals, then out the bottom. Yes, water is technically “suppose” to run into the car...?

My fix was pretty simple. Went to the auto parts store and purchased a small tube of ‘black silicone adhesive sealant’ and sealed up the tops and sides of the brake- light rubber seal.

I haven’t had a water leak since, but when the day comes that I have to change my brake light bulb, I’ll have to reseal again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As seen above it is the seals around the brake lamps. Simply taped over the holes with duct tape. The last person that changed out the lights never lined up the gaskets around the lenses. As for removing the water there is a plastic plug in the bottom of the spare tire area on the driver's side rear. There is no need to drill, simply pop it off. Too much water in the back will lead to the dash board (radio and air conditioning area) to short out and go off and on because it keeps breaking the circuit. Good luck...

I love this forum. So far with the help of this site I have been able to recalibrate the sun roof when it got suck open and fix the heated seats when they stopped working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts