GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Terrain and so far my family and I are really enjoying it. However, we have one nagging problem that continues to bug us and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. The doors seem to be heavier than normal car doors and/or the elbows that lock into position when the door is fully opened seem to be weaker than in most cars. This results in it being nearly impossible to keep the door open on an incline or in a mild wind without holding it open with your foot or leg. It has also, in a couple of instances, resulted in the door slamming onto a limb (leg or arm) while trying to load/unload objects, groceries, toddlers, etc. I've never heard my wife curse louder.

It strikes me as a design flaw. Does anyone know of any after-market solutions for something like this? I've driven hundreds of cars in my life (used to be a traveling sales person and rented cars weekly) and I've never experienced anything like this issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have this same issue, my daughter smashed her leg in the door just before soccer practice one night. She's 15 and a big girl so luckily nothing broke, but she was sore that night.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
rojo said:
I have a 2010 Terrain and so far my family and I are really enjoying it. However, we have one nagging problem that continues to bug us and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. The doors seem to be heavier than normal car doors and/or the elbows that lock into position when the door is fully opened seem to be weaker than in most cars. This results in it being nearly impossible to keep the door open on an incline or in a mild wind without holding it open with your foot or leg. It has also, in a couple of instances, resulted in the door slamming onto a limb (leg or arm) while trying to load/unload objects, groceries, toddlers, etc. I've never heard my wife curse louder.

It strikes me as a design flaw. Does anyone know of any after-market solutions for something like this? I've driven hundreds of cars in my life (used to be a traveling sales person and rented cars weekly) and I've never experienced anything like this issue.

Thanks! Cut yourself an old broom handle and wedge it in the door when you open it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
YEA - I've DEFINITELY noticed this too, lol. My husband blames it on me being a girl, but I beg to differ. Half the time, I open the door and right as I sit down and pull my legs in it slams shut on it's own. I feel like they could've used a better hinge or something. Something about it is different than most other cars.

I also feel like the back doors seem unusually wide. Maybe I'm just not so used to them yet, but sometimes I open the door to the back seat and then practically hit myself in the chest with the door. And of course, it just makes me feel like an idiot somehow.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've noticed that the hinges seem thin and weaker than what I'm accustomed to with other GM products.

Yes, they seem to close easily on their own. I often have to push them outward twice before I dare put my foot/leg out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts