GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what happened on our 2010 Nox FWD with 27,000 kms. (17,000 miles), and while not a big issue it still concerns me, since I'm wondering if this is a flaw in either part design or supplier quality.

My wife noticed a rattling sound occasionally coming from the suspension while driving with the window open, which I confirmed.

The result is that our dealership is replacing a failed stabilizer link and will change both while their at it under warranty.

So is this a known flaw? Is it only 2010? Has it been solved for 2011 and on?

Have yours checked before your warranty expires.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm getting an intermittent rattle from my right front as well. I haven't checked underneath yet as I'm waiting for it to get worse before I take it in. Maybe more of a crunching sound. I'm thinking it's a bushing issue related to the swaybar as opposed to the strut/spring. Mine's a 10.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terrain said:
I'm getting an intermittent rattle from my right front as well. I haven't checked underneath yet as I'm waiting for it to get worse before I take it in. Maybe more of a crunching sound. I'm thinking it's a bushing issue related to the swaybar as opposed to the strut/spring. Mine's a 10.
The links are what attach the ends of the "stabilizer" or "swaybar" to the vehicle suspension. So your noise may be exactly the same issue as ours was.

I believe the problem is with the link bushings rather than the the bushings that mount the bar to the body/frame.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've been getting a "creak" type sound from my right front also. I've taken it in twice and the first time try found nothing. The second time they lubricated the suspension parts and it went away. I hear it mainly when I turn the wheel to the left or go over speed bumps.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Phantm006 said:
I've been getting a "creak" type sound from my right front also. I've taken it in twice and the first time try found nothing. The second time they lubricated the suspension parts and it went away. I hear it mainly when I turn the wheel to the left or go over speed bumps.
What exactly did they lubricate? It is my understanding (as with most modern cars) everything that used to be "lubed" is now sealed up..

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have been having this problem for months now. First I started hearing the rattle sound (dealer diagnosed as a 'scrunching' sound) on the passenger side of the vehicle. It only starts rattling after I have been driving for a little while, but once it starts it doesn't stop. It happens at all speeds, although it's obviously more noticeable at lower speeds (less wind noise I assume). It is VERY noticeable when going up or down ramps.

I have had it in the dealer twice now for this problem. They replaced the front stabilizer links as well as some bushings or something...they thought it was gone but the noise started up again a day or so after I picked it up from the dealer. Just this past week the noise has now started on the driver side as well, and I even heard it once in the rear of the vehicle. Seems as though it has something to do with the suspension.

Anyway, took her into the dealer again this morning...no word yet. Sure hope they can fix it for good this time!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
FedorekC said:
I have been having this problem for months now. First I started hearing the rattle sound (dealer diagnosed as a 'scrunching' sound) on the passenger side of the vehicle. It only starts rattling after I have been driving for a little while, but once it starts it doesn't stop. It happens at all speeds, although it's obviously more noticeable at lower speeds (less wind noise I assume). It is VERY noticeable when going up or down ramps.

I have had it in the dealer twice now for this problem. They replaced the front stabilizer links as well as some bushings or something...they thought it was gone but the noise started up again a day or so after I picked it up from the dealer. Just this past week the noise has now started on the driver side as well, and I even heard it once in the rear of the vehicle. Seems as though it has something to do with the suspension.

Anyway, took her into the dealer again this morning...no word yet. Sure hope they can fix it for good this time!
Has your concern been resolved? Please feel free to keep me posted regarding what you find at the dealer. You can contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The removed a sway bar or something to see if that got rid of the noise but it didn't so they put it back. Then they just lubricated the front strut bumper...? I drove it home last night and drove it to work this morning with no sound, so that's nice but I remaining skeptical since it came back last time!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had noisy strut mount isolators on my 2000 Malibu and it drove me nuts for a while. I lived with it for about two months and then the sound just disappeared and never returned again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just hit 28,000miles on my 2010 V6, and when going up and down bumps (and the parking garage) I hear the noise described from the front right wheel area. bumping and clunking, so what needs to be done? and is it an issue for my roadtrip this weekend?

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
joethbob equinox said:
I just hit 28,000miles on my 2010 V6, and when going up and down bumps (and the parking garage) I hear the noise described from the front right wheel area. bumping and clunking, so what needs to be done? and is it an issue for my roadtrip this weekend?
It could be many things, and either serious or harmless, so why not bring it to a garage and let them diagnose it, instead of letting someone who hasn't looked at it diagnose it for you. And yes, I would do it before the road trip. Better safe than sorry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts