GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Looking at new SRX Turbo. Need feedback on ANY 2010 SRX re: SEATS. Recent extended GM Test Drive Event in both Turbo & standard sled, raised concerns about seat cushion firmness. Was very, very firm during first 1/2 hr. Had to get out after that. Long term impressions (2-4 hour drive?) would be much appreciated. 2nd row seat back was like wood............. I compared to nearby GMC Terrain and saw a 30% difference immediately. ????
Any opinions appreciated.

MM

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've owned quite a few GM cars over the past 20 years. Seems to me that GM always makes things "firm" so that when they age they don't fall apart. You'll notice this in a lot of things. Like that many notice the engine runs better and has better MPG after about 2000 miles. The seats too often get much better with age.

I do have to agree that lately, the seats do seem to be getting harder. Not sure why. Of course, that may be due to my aging "seat" area on me too ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL....................Yeah, it may be at least partially my "seat padding & springs" also. But seriously, you're right. The seats seem firmer each year. It's somewhat subjective, but I have compared tp other GM SUV/CUV and the SRX are less softly padded. I guess they are going for the "sports" feel. I've rode in brand new Audi SUV's and MB also. Similarly firm seats. The Audi was like a brick? Go Figure.

I posted in another thread just yesterday that if we get the SRX this summer, I already have the auto upholstery shop selected, that will pull the skins, replace the padding, put the same skins back on, for a reasonable charge. (, They can handle the Heated seats easily. Not sure, if I get the "Cooled version".) Worth it to me, the way some others change wheels/lights, etc. I seldom take the "special", as offered , when I go to a restaurant either ;D

Test drive anything I buy, a few times. Just a little extra insurance.......

MM

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, got the Performance SRX! (non-turbo) Seats are tolerable for all my shorter rides so far. (3 days) I am still considering the padding re-do.....Will post if indeed I do.

MM

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
many have asked, so after 4500 miles seats are holding up GREAT even on 2 hour rides. I weigh 175lbs. Seems my initial concerns were unwarranted. ;D

MM

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a friend who was an engineer for an automotive seating company, and he told me the big reason that the seats are getting firmer is that the car companies keep demanding lower costs, which equals cheaper, harder foam.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I fear he's right. Look how they have done away with glove box and door puddle lights at GM.........
Even my $59K Yukon Denali has NO glove light OR door puddle light :-(
WTH.........

MM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts