GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I recently went on a road trip to Banff, AB with my equinox, and we used the roof rack for some of our gear. My experiences weren't very positive.

Before really doing any research, I tried tracking down a hard shell carrier, and after comparing a few different ones I ended up grabbing one from Canadian Tire, that I got out into the parking lot, to find that it hit the rear antenna, and the holes were pre-drilled about 6 inches too far apart for the short roof rack. So that got returned, and I was on a tight time frame, supposed to leave in an hour. So I settled for a soft bag, a thule. We packed the thule semi full, not to crazy, strapped it onto the roof rack, and we were on our way.

After the first three hours, and stopping every 20-30 minutes to try and figure out what was flapping in the wind creating all sorts of noise, we grabbed the bag off the roof rack and stuffed it into the car. We tried taping all of the extra straps down, tieing them, using more tie-downs, using less tie-downs, and we just couldn't figure it out. On the return trip, I was bound determined to get it on the roof and properally. Long story short, we ended up putting up with the road noise on the return trip, solely because it wasn't as bad due to a tail wind.

But we did discover, nothing on the bag was vibrating in the wind, it was the whole top of the car flexing in and out from the wind buffeting. So I'm curious if I would have similar problems with a hard shell as well. Need some sort of deflector at the front of the rails to keep air flow from going under the bag.

Also, now normal driving with the cross-rails left installed, do they ever whistle from air flow. I'm ready to admit defeat with this roof rack.

What experiences have others had? Or what I really want to know, what am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ohmsford said:
Hey guys,

My girlfriend and I recently went on a road trip to Banff, AB with my equinox, and we used the roof rack for some of our gear. My experiences weren't very positive.

Before really doing any research, I tried tracking down a hard shell carrier, and after comparing a few different ones I ended up grabbing one from Canadian Tire, that I got out into the parking lot, to find that it hit the rear antenna, and the holes were pre-drilled about 6 inches too far apart for the short roof rack. So that got returned, and I was on a tight time frame, supposed to leave in an hour. So I settled for a soft bag, a thule. We packed the thule semi full, not to crazy, strapped it onto the roof rack, and we were on our way.

After the first three hours, and stopping every 20-30 minutes to try and figure out what was flapping in the wind creating all sorts of noise, we grabbed the bag off the roof rack and stuffed it into the car. We tried taping all of the extra straps down, tieing them, using more tie-downs, using less tie-downs, and we just couldn't figure it out. On the return trip, I was bound determined to get it on the roof and properally. Long story short, we ended up putting up with the road noise on the return trip, solely because it wasn't as bad due to a tail wind.

But we did discover, nothing on the bag was vibrating in the wind, it was the whole top of the car flexing in and out from the wind buffeting. So I'm curious if I would have similar problems with a hard shell as well. Need some sort of deflector at the front of the rails to keep air flow from going under the bag.

Also, now normal driving with the cross-rails left installed, do they ever whistle from air flow. I'm ready to admit defeat with this roof rack.

What experiences have others had? Or what I really want to know, what am I doing wrong?
Did you get the soft Thule marked down to $39 at Canadian tire last weekend? $100 off? Still on sale I just checked![/color]

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the one, although I didn't get it on sale. I'll have to go get $100 on their price guarantee thing, only bought it 12 days ago.

Thanks for the suggestions for a cargo carrier website, but I'm concerned that any carrier is going to have similar wind noise. Its not a problem with the carrier not fitting, it just creates way to much noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ohmsford said:
Hey guys,

When not in use, spread the rails as far apart as possible to cut down on noise. I cannot hear mine. I took them off and put them in the garage just to keep them out of the wind anyway.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Ohmsford said:

Also, now normal driving with the cross-rails left installed, do they ever whistle from air flow.

I just want to know how you determined that the whole roof was flexing. Did someone in another car tell you? Stick your head out the window?

All joking aside, did you feel the roof flexing from the inside?

I have been driving with roof rails installed since the second week of ownership and just completed a 600 mile trip with a hard carrier installed. No whistling in either case, but just slight wind noise one would expect fromhaving a box on top of your car doing 70 mph.

Like someone else posted, I keep them at the outer most locking positions when a box is not installed. Through highway and residential driving, I don’t get any wind noise.

As for what type of box works with the Terrain I suggest the following……

http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/GMC/2010/Acadia/Roof-Mounted%20Hard%20Cargo%20Carrier/?src=gmc&tx_gmshopb2b_pi1%5Btype%5D=gm

$329.

Or this is the same non-GM branded

http://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Cargo-Carrier/Thule/TH667ES.html

$369

Thule Excursion ES667

With the GM branded, you can have it ordered through dealer and avoid shipping. I know it says it is for the Acadia but I used it on the Terrain no problem. Had from my Acadia previously.

I would also order these as it makes installation easy. You may just have to re-drill a few holes for a perfect fit b/c of the short roof on the Terrain.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty confident it is the roof flexing due to vibrations visible in the interior, and process of elimination of checking all straps and changing how it is strapped down. You could see the carpet interior just vibrating in tune with the wind noise.

I've got the racks as far apart as they go, and it sure is whistling. I'm going to be pulling them off when I'm not hauling, but I'd really like to figure it out. I'm surprised there aren't similar stories of whistling, they are all the same vehicles, same rails.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Ohmsford said:
I'm pretty confident it is the roof flexing due to vibrations visible in the interior, and process of elimination of checking all straps and changing how it is strapped down. You could see the carpet interior just vibrating in tune with the wind noise.

I've got the racks as far apart as they go, and it sure is whistling. I'm going to be pulling them off when I'm not hauling, but I'd really like to figure it out. I'm surprised there aren't similar stories of whistling, they are all the same vehicles, same rails.
****,the interior was vibrating. Never experienced that.

As for the whistle, seeing as they are all the same vehicle,maybe the rails were put together the wrong way or they aren't straight and at the outermost points. I have owned GMC truckssince 2002,all with rails, and never had one whistle noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ohmsford said:

I did not see any roof flexing however... I just purchased the cross rails for my 2010 LTZ and the wind noise, regardless of what position the rails are in (close together, far apart; or in between) is just too much. The cross rails now hang in my garage and will only be used when needed. Glad they are easy to install and remove!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just drove 2700KM with a 13 cu ft. soft Thule carrier on our 2010 Equinox LTZ, only noise was the first 5 minutes when we realized the strap ends were flapping in the wind. Once we tied those down better, no noise at all. We've had the cross-rails on since delivery, and haven't notice any excessive wind noise either.

That Thule carrier was perfect though - fit our tent, air mattress, sleeping bags, everything for our two dogs....very pleased with that purchase. Unfortunately we missed out on the $39 sale price; we picked it up for $79 in mid-July.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In regards to the wind noise created from the cross rails, it appears they may have been on backwards :p

I was bringing them inside, defeated by the wind noise, when I noticed these arrows on them. I had never noticed them before, and my buddy who popped them on for me must have not noticed them either, because after putting them on arrows facing forwards, I haven't heard a peep. Its embarrassing, but that must have been why the extra noise. Maybe that is also what happened to "2010 Owner".

As for the roof flexing and the extra cabin noise, I may have to have another trial with the rails on properly and see how that goes. You wouldn't think they have a backwards and forwards position though, just because they seem to be symmetrical. But possibly being backwards created some additional wind buffeting that was causing the flexing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ohmsford said:
In regards to the wind noise created from the cross rails, it appears they may have been on backwards :p

I was bringing them inside, defeated by the wind noise, when I noticed these arrows on them. I had never noticed them before, and my buddy who popped them on for me must have not noticed them either, because after putting them on arrows facing forwards, I haven't heard a peep. Its embarrassing, but that must have been why the extra noise. Maybe that is also what happened to "2010 Owner".

As for the roof flexing and the extra cabin noise, I may have to have another trial with the rails on properly and see how that goes. You wouldn't think they have a backwards and forwards position though, just because they seem to be symmetrical. But possibly being backwards created some additional wind buffeting that was causing the flexing.
Just today, I was looking at the roof racks and for the first time noticed the arrows. Not sure if this was the casue of the wind noise but I will try ASAP and get back to you. If this works, I too will be very embarassed ::)

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
We went tell. ;D

·
Registered
15 Posts
NY_Joe said:
We went tell. ;D
Colour my face red....that arrow really does mean something :D
I put them on correctly and went for a drive (city and highway - up to 100 kmh)...there is a very slight noise but you have to even turn off the heater/A/C fan to even think you can hear a little wind noise. No need to store them in teh garage anymore :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
We've had the roof rack cross rails for almost a year, no wind noise.
I just bought a little sofa for the kids room (about 7 ft. long and 3 ft. wide) and Leon's furniture shipping dept. strapped it to the roof rack with 2 plastic bands.

I had brought ratcheting tie downs not knowing Leon's loads and straps it for you.
I had to take the antenna off (unscrews very easily) for it to fit right and drove home on the back roads at 50 mph no problems and satellite and FM still worked great.
No excess noise or roof flexing that I could notice.

I've also carried 4ft. x 8ft. lattice to use for skirting under our deck in the backyard and strapped (actually tie-wrapped) it to the rails, again no probs.
I have to pick up a gig dresser my niece doesn't want tomorrow.
Maybe I'll bring my camera and take some picks when it's all loaded up.

So far, after almost a full year, we still love our Terrain!
8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts