GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past week we have drove our Terrain almost 2k miles on a road trip to FL from IN. When we got back my wife took the car to the dealer to check the antenna as we would get very spotty reception with XM throughout most of the trip. They said nothing was wrong with it and that we were probably driving through dead spots but a lot of the time it went out was in a big city and in FL mostly. I will keep an eye on the issue.

However, when my wife was driving to the dealer she felt that the car wasnt responding quite as good as it should. In her words she said, "that I would hit the gas pedal and it would just kind of sputter and then I would have to lift off the gas and hit it again to get power back."

I drove the car after she got back from the dealer and there is something wrong with the engine for sure. Power is literally gone and just like she said, once it sputters the only way to get power back again is to release the pedal and give it a sec or two and then hit the pedal again.

The dealer scanned the car and a DTC had been set; P0172.

Dealer looked up the symptoms and the literature says to replace the high pressure fuel pump due to overpressurizing that will cause lower performance and driveability.

Part was ordered and it will be at the dealer on Monday to get it replaced. Hopefully, it will fix the issue. :(

Dealer also said that this could be the reason we havent got what the DIC said on the MPG when we hand calculated it on the return trip up from Florida.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/bballr4567/terrain

·
Registered
137 Posts
That still is pretty good gas mileage. The highest "average" I have got is 24. Sure when I am cruising at highway speed (65-70) the DIC could show 30+, but go to 75-80 say goodby to any good mpg because it will go to 26 or less.
My driving unfortunetly is about 80% intown and I am getting around 20.
Anyhow, that was kinda off topic but I have complained all along to this forum AND my dealer that the fuel pump that is in my Nox was not up to GM quality standards and should not have been used ( this was on 4-cyl engines built between Sept 2009 and Feb 2010) My Nox left Ingersoll, Ont. Canada late Jan.
So your bad news could now be my good news. I only hope my fuel pump goes out while I am in town. Maybe about the same time the AC compr goes.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuel pump is still working, its just working too hard.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok. Maybe because it is working to hard it might be responsible for some of that "louder than what I would call normal" ticking noise. That's another thread.
Would like to know after your new fuel pump install if you notice less noise from the engine.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its going in tomorrow. The part came in on tuesday but due to work/school schedules we couldnt get it in today.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, apparently there was a mix up with the part supplier or the dealer. Regardless, we got stuck with an HHR LT for a day and the truck still isnt fixed. Really freaking annoying that the dealer didnt check when it came in though. :(

Hopefully, the new part will be here tuesday or wednesday.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got to drive the Terrain with the new fuel pump. Total difference. Engine is WAY quieter. Even with the windows down going through our apartment complex, it sounds like a normal engine. No more hesitation like before. I cant believe I never noticed it before.

Part # for the fuel pump is 12639694

It also stated that our old oil had fuel in it. How they tested it I have no idea but it states it on the work order statement.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the update. I have to take my Nox in for several issues next week and will just probe the tech a little and see what can be done. Also, how many hours did they allot for the r/r of the pump?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was 2.3 hours to R/R the pump AND to change the oil and filter.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Finally got into dealer for a check on any codes. Even though my concerns were noisy, shakey engine and poor gas mileage no codes were set or stored. The typical wording is " engine working as designed" . I did go to my original salesman and asked if I could start up a few new Nox's (4-cyl). All 3 were manufactured in July and they all had shakey motors BUT did not have the real loud tick tick noise. Probably 50% quieter than mine. Went back to service and brought that up to them and they stated again that nothing can be done because nothing is wrong. No DTC no CEL no fix!
I am getting better gas mileage with my 2010 Camaro (6) but who really cares. I guess I will live with it or get another vehicle.
Oh, they did order a new driver seat cover because they discovered it was comiing apart. That was nice!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
ccharlie said:
Finally got into dealer for a check on any codes. Even though my concerns were noisy, shakey engine and poor gas mileage no codes were set or stored. The typical wording is " engine working as designed" . I did go to my original salesman and asked if I could start up a few new Nox's (4-cyl). All 3 were manufactured in July and they all had shakey motors BUT did not have the real loud tick tick noise. Probably 50% quieter than mine. Went back to service and brought that up to them and they stated again that nothing can be done because nothing is wrong. No DTC no CEL no fix!
I am getting better gas mileage with my 2010 Camaro (6) but who really cares. I guess I will live with it or get another vehicle.
Oh, they did order a new driver seat cover because they discovered it was comiing apart. That was nice!
When you say "shakey" what do you mean exactly? As an owner of several different 4 bangers over the years (from Honda/Acura, Toyota, Mazda and Nissan) I can tell you that a 4cyl is never going to be as smooth at idle as a V6/V8...but a good 4cyl will smooth out nicely at higher revs, and the Ecotec in my Nox certainly does that. A bad 4cyl will not only have a rougher than normal idle, but also feel "coarse" when accelerating. The only way I can describe this effect is a high frequency vibration that you can feel in the steering wheel, pedals and to a lesser degree the seat of your pants. When I was dating my wife she had a Mazda 626 that threw it's timing belt @70mph and was never quite the same after it was "fixed".....that was a rough/coarse 4cyl that clearly had issues beyond the rough idle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Put your hand on the plastic box above engine , next to air box. Shakes like crazy. Put a glass (plastic) with water in it, it will shake off in several seconds. The vehicle does not shake , just the slight vibration from the ac compressor when it is on which is most of the time. That was just another issue that was "working as designed".
No problem when accelerating and runs smooth at all speeds.
The shaking reminds me of my 1971 Norton that had an engine with lots of vibration but they set it in "vibration isolation" so you would not feet the motor. They tried but...

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
I was quite surprised with the smooth drive and lack of even outside engine noise of our new Equinox. Compared to my wife's '08 HHR 2.4 (traded in)there was a very noticable difference when standing outside listening to it idle. Even my 2.0 turbo has a more prominent tick..tick..tick at idle. We did notice one Equinox that we test drove..although quiet inside..had much more clatter while running as we stood outside of it talking to a salesman...for some reason.
Shakey?..Why not get a second opinion from another dealer? Something isn't right.
BTW...you do know that the Camaro LT gets very good MPG for a 6 cyl..very comparable to most 4s.
Seems the Equinox MPG gradually gets better with some miles..evidentally similar to my wife's old HHR. She mentioned disappointment with MPG at first...but after a few thousand miles it had crept up even beyond what it was rated...especially during out of town driving.
I suggest..before doing something drastic...go for that second...or even third opinion...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
ccharlie
If you are, unhappy with your results at your dealer, I would recommend seeking a second opinion. I would definitely recommend taking your vehicle in anytime you think you are having a problem so the problem can be documented. I hope this information. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to send me a message.
Christina
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
137 Posts
The problem is that the dealer (chev) does not believe there is a problem unless a code is found or the vehicle quits running or starts on fire or whatever.
Any second opinion from a GM dealer would have to be from the only other one that is in Naples, Fl which is a Cadillac, Buick and GMC dealer who I would bet could care less about diagnosing my Nox. Otherwise I would have to go approx 35 miles to the next Chev dealer.
I have purchased about 20 GM vehicles over the past 47 years and most have had one problem or other. I did get good service back in the "old" days. Nowdays I believe that GM has meetings with the selling dealers who in turn have meetings with their employess including service and sales and agree to not give the customer any breaks.
I purchased this Nox AND a 2010 Camaro in February and without a doubt my last GM purchases!
:mad: :mad:
Actually this reply should/could be somewhere else on the forum. But where?

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Instead of speculating about what the GMC Dealer will do, and bad-mouthing them ahead of time, why don't you take you car there, and THEN comment. I think you are being a "bit" harsh on GM. Christina will help you, if needed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have never had a problem with getting my dealer to look and try to fix any problem I have with the 2 vehicle that I have purchased from them.
2005 Trailblazer was running funny.
Took that in and had them flush tyranny and they cleaned the maf for free.
Ran so much better and the service tech said the MAF need cleaned.
2008 Cobalt had funny miss.
They change all the plugs and 2 of the coil packs.
That fixeed that, no charge 8)

You can find good and bad dealers with any car company.

·
Registered
137 Posts
RIT333,
I had purchased 3 Firebirds and an Envoy over the past 10 years from my local GMC dealer (also Caddy and Buick and now gone Pontiac dealer). I had contemplated buying from them again but did the NOX ( liked the looks and test drive was great back in February) and Camaro because Cadillac SRX was to expensive, no more Firebirds being produced and the Terrain is ugly. Did like the Enclave but again to expensive.
The GMC guys were a little miffed that I did not buy from them so do you really think they are going to give me good service? Hell no!
Not really a "bad mouth", just reality.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
You "may" be right, but why not wait til after the fact, and then tell me "I told you so", instead of speculating. I guess I have "always" had good luck with my dealers. - Actually, may last 3 cars, Maxima, Vibe, and Nox haven't had ANY issues, so I may be a bad data point.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts