GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 10824 miles on my Terrain. I purchased it brand new. Took a road trip this weekend. 75 mph. Checked the gas mileage again and I got 15.35 mpg on the hwy. That's far from the sticker of 24 mpg. That's why I chose this smaller suv over a larger suv. My driving was mostly flat driving. In town I average 13 mpg. I am ready to get rid of this vehicle. I took it in to the dealer this am. One of the dealership employess asked me what I was getting for gas mileage. He stated they bought the 4 cyl and they have 2000 miles on it and said the best they are getting is 19 mpg. This gas mileage is a joke. This is the 5 th brand new gm vehicle I have purchased and it is the only one that doesn't make close to what the window sticker said for gas mileage. I have had the fuel pump replaced several times and it seems the gas mileage is getting worse.

·
Registered
698 Posts
AWD or FWD? I am getting over 20 consistently on my V6 FWD with a lot less mileage than yours. Do you drive aggressively?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I dont have the 6 cyl, but I am getting pretty close to what the sticker says, Road trip last weekend, speed limit was 75, I got 30 mpg with my wife and kid in the car. Not loaded down to much. I get 25-28 around town back and forth to work. I have 11K miles on mine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm now at 30,000 on my 2010 with the 6. I average 22+ combined, (80% highway, 20% city) and on a pure highway drive I push 27mpg. Tires are at 37-38, I don't have a heavy foot, but I don't baby it either. Almost all of my highway driving is at 75 mph. I would wonder what psi your tires are at and how heavy you push it, but either way those numbers are low...ALmost forgot to ask, are you using flex fuel? Everyone I know that is/has ends up with crap mileage.

·
Registered
698 Posts
^ 2010s aren't flex fuel compatible.

·
Registered
715 Posts
EPA highway mileage figures are based on 48 MPH.

At 75, you will get a lot less.
Try a smooth straight back road at 55 MPH.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Terrain said:
^ 2010s aren't flex fuel compatible.
I was not sure, and had to ask. I won't use it because I know about 20 people who have and they all complained about the MPG with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We just took ours on a 700 mile road trip. On the way up we average 23.4 doing about 75. On the way back, I had a kidney stone and it wasn't as good. 19.7 doing about 85-90. Ours has been going up ever since delivery. Usually 22 in mixed driving. '11 3.0 V6 FWD with 8K miles on it.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
kohl1177 said:
I have 10824 miles on my Terrain. I purchased it brand new. Took a road trip this weekend. 75 mph. Checked the gas mileage again and I got 15.35 mpg on the hwy. That's far from the sticker of 24 mpg. That's why I chose this smaller suv over a larger suv. My driving was mostly flat driving. In town I average 13 mpg. I am ready to get rid of this vehicle. I took it in to the dealer this am. One of the dealership employess asked me what I was getting for gas mileage. He stated they bought the 4 cyl and they have 2000 miles on it and said the best they are getting is 19 mpg. This gas mileage is a joke. This is the 5 th brand new gm vehicle I have purchased and it is the only one that doesn't make close to what the window sticker said for gas mileage. I have had the fuel pump replaced several times and it seems the gas mileage is getting worse.
The fuel economy estimates are based on results of tests required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These tests are used to certify that vehicles meet the federal emissions and fuel economy standards. The vehicles are driven by a professional driver under controlled laboratory conditions, on an instrument similar to a treadmill. These procedures ensure that each vehicle is tested under identical conditions; therefore, the results can be compared with confidence. Please keep in mind that these ratings are estimates.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I do 99% suburban driving and since I bought my Terrain V6 AWD a year ago, all I average is 15 mpg.
I do drive somewhat aggressivly sometimes not all the time, but my old Aztek 6 cyl got a minimum of 18 mpg.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
GARYD said:
I do 99% suburban driving and since I bought my Terrain V6 AWD a year ago, all I average is 15 mpg.
I do drive somewhat aggressivly sometimes not all the time, but my old Aztek 6 cyl got a minimum of 18 mpg.
agressivly ??? I'm guessing you are pedal to the metal to get that low a mileage !

·
Registered
157 Posts
GARYD said:
Not to say whether the Terrain mileage is o.k. or not - but there is a technology difference between the Aztek and the Terrain V-6

Aztek had a pushrod V-6 (185 hp) with a 4 speed automatic. Lots of low end torque so it was geared high to rev low in the low gears.
2.92/1.56/1.0/0.71

Terrain has DOHC V-6 (264 hp) with a 6 speed automatic. Needs higher RPMs to develop similar torque so it is geared to rev higher in the lower gears.
4.5/2.9/1.8/1.4/1.0/.7

Basic physics (in simple terms), more HP and more revs (more air/fuel) means lower gas mileage.

Weight is almost identical between the two.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a v6 awd. 2010. Just went to big bend national park about 8 hours from here. I avered about 20 miles per gallon. Not bad considering I had both my bikes racked up with us.

Usually I get about 21 miles per gallon but I would say 99% of my driving is highway.

Since I live in austin I learned not to speed a long time ago. It gets exp...

·
Registered
60 Posts
NHOJWOLFE said:
I have a v6 awd. 2010. Just went to big bend national park about 8 hours from here. I avered about 20 miles per gallon. Not bad considering I had both my bikes racked up with us.

Usually I get about 21 miles per gallon but I would say 99% of my driving is highway.

Since I live in austin I learned not to speed a long time ago. It gets exp...
21mpg highway? That doesn't sound very good for this vehicle

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
RIT333, only when I need to get across the intersection faster then the Mustang or Camero next to me. :rock:
I'd say maybe 20% of the time I step on it. Still 15 mpg is not very good. Especially since most people here are getting much more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 AWD V6 with about 17000 miles on it. I average 19-20mpg mixed driving. When I've gone on long trips (mostly highway driving), I average 20-22 mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
RnB said:
We just took ours on a 700 mile road trip. On the way up we average 23.4 doing about 75. On the way back, I had a kidney stone and it wasn't as good. 19.7 doing about 85-90. Ours has been going up ever since delivery. Usually 22 in mixed driving. '11 3.0 V6 FWD with 8K miles on it.
mine has been going down ever since i started driving it. mostly hwy. 18.2mpg and i only got 300 miles on it. i hope it gets better...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts