GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Went to use my spare tire today. Found 3 inches of water in well where spare tire is stored. Have been noticing mildew smell for last month. Car is 2 years old had no smell or water before. Did hose test after drying it out. Seems water seeping from back right below hatch opening on inside where there is a seam of the metal . Anyone else have water leak with 2010 Equinox in this same area. Maybe you should check? Thanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dry as a bone, but then again my Nox is only a month old. I guess I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Back to beer :beer:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Wow. That's disturbing. Is it easy to see the leak as it happens?

I actually don't think it's rained on my car at all since I bought it in March, not more than just a sprinkle. *one day, it'll rain in Texas again...* I did have to use my spare in June, no water was in the cargo area but again, it also hasn't rained at all.

Anyone else find water?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Man, I had it with the rain here in Canada. Every time I wash the truck, it rains the next day. Just washed it this weekend, and.....yep Weather Network calling for rain on Monday. And then there is the snow, and salt coming soon..........oh man :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Have you brought this to the attention of your local dealer? Being that the vehicle is a 2010, I would recommend taking it in to be looked at. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tricia, GM Customer Service,

Emailed Chevrolet customer service. They called me and set up a diagnosis appointment with my local dealer where I go for scheduled maintenance to find the cause of leak. I am passed my b2b warranty so they are going to charge me. Ed from Chevrolet customer service said they will see if there can be something done to help me with this expense. Service manager has to speak with dealer general manager to see if if they can help me out financially. Has anyone else been in similar situation after b2b warranty has run out and gotten a break from dealer for manufacturing defect on such a new car. Let you know what happens.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
2030louie said:

Emailed Chevrolet customer service. They called me and set up a diagnosis appointment with my local dealer where I go for scheduled maintenance to find the cause of leak. I am passed my b2b warranty so they are going to charge me. Ed from Chevrolet customer service said they will see if there can be something done to help me with this expense. Service manager has to speak with dealer general manager to see if if they can help me out financially. Has anyone else been in similar situation after b2b warranty has run out and gotten a break from dealer for manufacturing defect on such a new car. Let you know what happens.
I.ve had a dealer fix the exhaust manifold gasket problem after the warranty for no charge 1000.00 dollar job
but this is one of those great dealers ......This was on another vehicle not my Terrain..

·
Registered
249 Posts
2030louie said:

How come the b2b (bumper to bumper) warranty has run out on a 2010 Equinox model, in Sep of 2011? More than 36,000 miles on it already? Anyway, I would consider your issue to be of corrosion nature, and that's covered under 6 years/100,000 miles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CFRTim said:
How come the b2b (bumper to bumper) warranty has run out on a 2010 Equinox model, in Sep of 2011? More than 36,000 miles on it already? Anyway, I would consider your issue to be of corrosion nature, and that's covered under 6 years/100,000 miles
Have over 36000 miles. Purchased August 2009. Cash for clunkers. I believe corrosion warranty only covers if body has rusted completely through.

·
Registered
89 Posts
2030louie said:
Have over 36000 miles. Purchased August 2009. Cash for clunkers. I believe corrosion warranty only covers if body has rusted completely through.
doesn't heat accelerate corrosion? Put a electric heater under your spare tire pan and cook that mess! Rotted through in no time! :cheers:

·
Registered
949 Posts
2030louie said:

I think it really just depends on the dealership. I would think that they would take the extra step and cover this. It's not something that would happen from normal wear and tear, like you just had bad timing with the warranty running out. This is something that should never happen in the first place. Hopefully they'll help you out on this one. If not, then I'd contact Tricia and see if Customer Service can help you correct this situation. Like I said, it's something that should never happen in the first place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sumr616 said:
I think it really just depends on the dealership. I would think that they would take the extra step and cover this. It's not something that would happen from normal wear and tear, like you just had bad timing with the warranty running out. This is something that should never happen in the first place. Hopefully they'll help you out on this one. If not, then I'd contact Tricia and see if Customer Service can help you correct this situation. Like I said, it's something that should never happen in the first place.
Tricia
Can Chevrolet customer service cover this repair since the car is only 2 years old . I bought this car from Chevrolet when your car company needed help with making car sales. Now I need help since I am unemployed. Thank you for your concern in this matter.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
I would use the argument that this is clearly not miles related, should therefore be covered. If they do not - then I would be VERY disappointed in GM on this issue. IMHO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RIT333,

Thanks for your advice. Have to take it to dealer first and pay for diagnosis and then determine what repair will be. Then wait and see if GM will consider it as warranty authorized.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
2030louie said:
RIT333,

Thanks for your advice. Have to take it to dealer first and pay for diagnosis and then determine what repair will be. Then wait and see if GM will consider it as warranty authorized.
...pay for diagnosis? What ? I would balk at that. Why should they charge you for a 2 minute look at your car that is defective because of their poor construction. I guess I am cheap when it comes to paying for stuff that I don't feel I should be paying for.

·
Registered
949 Posts
RIT333 said:
I guess I am cheap when it comes to paying for stuff that I don't feel I should be paying for.
I'm cheap too.

I bet you can just ask to speak with the Service Manager, because he'll have to approve the whole work order anyways if you don't want to pay for it (and you shouldn't). Take him out and show him exactly what's going on and exactly where you've found that the leak is occurring.

I bet you can work it in your favor. (it should be in your favor anyways, in my opinion)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE
Equinox has been at dealer for one week. They have resealed roof racks, wire harness, gasket around opening, tail light mount , factory sealed white caulk on back of spare tire compartment ,etc. etc. Still leaks. Dealer gave me Good Will warranty with $100 deductible. They are trying their best to resolve this issue. GM customer service calls me everyday with an update after they speak to dealer service department. I really believe GM and the dealer are trying to fix this problem. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hope it gets resolved and kudos to the dealer -- they sound like a winner. :cheers:

·
Registered
949 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
Hope it gets resolved and kudos to the dealer -- they sound like a winner. :cheers:
I agree. Sounds like they are trying what they can.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts