GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so sick of Chevy, this is the last one I will ever buy. I thought I was done after my last car, but salesman got me to give one more chance so I gave it to him. I've never had any other car besides a Chevy in my life (89 Beretta, 87 Monte Carlo, 94 Trail Blazer, 03 Impala and now a 10 Equinox).

Anyhow, I routinely change my oil and I log EVERY maintenanct item I have ever had done on ever car I have ever owned. I never miss an oil change, EVER on any car.

My opinion on Chevy began with the Impala, seemed like systematically one thing after another went and every time I took it back to the dealer it was another 2k to fix. I dumped almost 8-10k over the last two years on a vehicle that is only worth 3-4k at the time. I was treated like crap each time too.

Ok so now I am in year two of my Equinox and here is what I have had to deal within 2 years (the first year was problem free):

- Seat warmers failed at the beginning of the second winter
- Rear latch wouldn't open

Those were small issues but inconvenient to say the least.

This past fall is when the real trouble began.

In October the service engine soon light comes on, I immediately take it to the dealer who says I'm low on oil, they blame it on Jiffy Lube underfilling, never looking for any signs of a leak. I spent 2 days in a rental car.

Within 2-3 weeks I get the light again, I check my oil and ZERO on the dipstick. I immediately add oil, added about 3 1/2 quarts of oil and then take it to the dealer. The salesman giving me a speal like it's not uncommon to burn through a qart of oil every 1000 miles, what? More like 3 quarts in 600-800 miles since I added 3 1/2 in 3 weeks?

Anyways, they find that I need my piston rings replaced, timing chain adjusted. So I end up being in a rental for 2 days then GM won't cover anymore days and make me return my nice rental car, for a cheap, no options, loaner car and I end up being without my car for a week and a half.

Ok, so another 2-3 weeks goes by and again my service engine soon light comes on, I check oil, it is actually fine. So I take it back to dealer and find that now my O2 sensor is reading my fuel is burning rich. It takes them 3 days to figure out why.

So all in all, in the past 3 months my car has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks. I'm just hoping it is all good now. I've never had so much problem with a car that is only 2 years old in my life. Is it just me? And tell me HOW am I supposed to honestly fill out their customer service surveys with Grade A when it's been the opposite, both from the dealer and GM? They constantly blame others, like they did by blaming Jiffy Lube initially rather than troubleshoot the actual problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, got into a debate with the service lady who stated that the seat warmers would NOT heat up automatically. I told her they do, they were actualy after market heaters installed by their own aftermarket group and unlike the standard which are controlled through the instrument panel, these were controlled by a 3 way paddle switch on the side of the seat cushion. So long as you left it in the "On" position it heated up when you remote started the vehicle.

She denied that and said it wasn't possible, I said you want to see? She didn't answer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the styling and features of the new GM cars and SUVs, but their quality is suspect. It seems they made the interiors better (by putting more money into them) and cut costs elsewhere (cheaper parts for the engine, transmission, and AC built in China, Indonesia, Thailand, etc. - "global" or low-cost labor suppliers). Those Ivy-league MBA cost accountants at GM will not let the customer win and get a well-built, reliable GM product. They keep trying to use cheaper parts to get their bonuses at the end of the year, but the customer gets screwed everytime. When customers get screwed over, they won't come back. Sounds like the same old GM.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
gig229 said:
Possibly, those Ivy-league MBA cost accountants at GM decided that without the outsourcing, the American would have viewed the Equinox at too high of a price-point, and consumers would buy other vehicles that got their prices lower by outsourcing. It is a tough thing to get the consumers to pay more than a car is actually worth, as many German manufacturers had been successful at. It can't be done overnight. IMHO

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
icb1977 said:
I am so sick of Chevy, this is the last one I will ever buy. I thought I was done after my last car, but salesman got me to give one more chance so I gave it to him. I've never had any other car besides a Chevy in my life (89 Beretta, 87 Monte Carlo, 94 Trail Blazer, 03 Impala and now a 10 Equinox).

Anyhow, I routinely change my oil and I log EVERY maintenanct item I have ever had done on ever car I have ever owned. I never miss an oil change, EVER on any car.

My opinion on Chevy began with the Impala, seemed like systematically one thing after another went and every time I took it back to the dealer it was another 2k to fix. I dumped almost 8-10k over the last two years on a vehicle that is only worth 3-4k at the time. I was treated like crap each time too.

Ok so now I am in year two of my Equinox and here is what I have had to deal within 2 years (the first year was problem free):

- Seat warmers failed at the beginning of the second winter
- Rear latch wouldn't open

Those were small issues but inconvenient to say the least.

This past fall is when the real trouble began.

In October the service engine soon light comes on, I immediately take it to the dealer who says I'm low on oil, they blame it on Jiffy Lube underfilling, never looking for any signs of a leak. I spent 2 days in a rental car.

Within 2-3 weeks I get the light again, I check my oil and ZERO on the dipstick. I immediately add oil, added about 3 1/2 quarts of oil and then take it to the dealer. The salesman giving me a speal like it's not uncommon to burn through a qart of oil every 1000 miles, what? More like 3 quarts in 600-800 miles since I added 3 1/2 in 3 weeks?

Anyways, they find that I need my piston rings replaced, timing chain adjusted. So I end up being in a rental for 2 days then GM won't cover anymore days and make me return my nice rental car, for a cheap, no options, loaner car and I end up being without my car for a week and a half.

Ok, so another 2-3 weeks goes by and again my service engine soon light comes on, I check oil, it is actually fine. So I take it back to dealer and find that now my O2 sensor is reading my fuel is burning rich. It takes them 3 days to figure out why.

So all in all, in the past 3 months my car has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks. I'm just hoping it is all good now. I've never had so much problem with a car that is only 2 years old in my life. Is it just me? And tell me HOW am I supposed to honestly fill out their customer service surveys with Grade A when it's been the opposite, both from the dealer and GM? They constantly blame others, like they did by blaming Jiffy Lube initially rather than troubleshoot the actual problem.
Have you spoken with customer assistance regarding your concerns? I would like to look into this for you. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information and the last eight of your VIN for more assistance. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts