GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went through the whole process of replacing the broken blend door. After putting it all back together The actuator was working. However the teeth it would not align with the blend door. I did the calibration procedure to no avail. So I took the actuator apart lined up the teeth and put it in. it worked fine 2 or 3 times then nothing. I figured I screwed up something when I took the actuator apart. So I bought a new one. Put it in and nothing. Took it out and bench tested the actuator and it works fine. Has the temperature control switch gone bad? Checked all fuses. If I manually move the blend door according to the heat or cold air setting everything seems to be correct. Help!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I have the 2014 Equinox Repair Manual, not sure if the 2010 is the same.
Temperature control is a function of sensors as an input to the HVAC Control Module.
The HVAC Control Module controls virtually all systems.
Do you have the Manual or Auto system?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 2014 Equinox Repair Manual, not sure if the 2010 is the same.
Temperature control is a function of sensors as an input to the HVAC Control Module.
The HVAC Control Module controls virtually all systems.
Do you have the Manual or Auto system?
It has an auto system. I found out why the actuator wan't working. After pulling the dash out and replacing the blend door one of the wires got severed. Now the blend door actuator works when not attached to the blend door. It will move accordingly as I move the temp dial. Then after I install it and go through the recalibration process I can hear it. When I move the temp dial I can only get cold air to barely any heat. Now if I take it back out and move the blend door manually I get hot and cold.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
You are making progress.
When you move the temp dial and only get cold to limited heat does that mean your actuator is still not calibrated correctly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
07 November 2020 04:51
ok so I went and bought another actuator. it seems to travel more than the other which would solve my problem. the problem now is that the teeth on the gears do not line up. doesn't it have to be installed to calibrate?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Yes calibration is the last step.
AC/Delco actuators seem to be a little bit better quality than the China ones.
I'll take a look at my 2014 Manual and see if I can come up with something.
The Auto system is a little more complicated.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Very little info on the blend door in the Manual, lots on changing the actuator.
They recommend calibrating with a scantool but can be done without.

Important warning on calibrating without a scantool:
Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control module while the HVAC control module is self calibrating.
If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

This may be why your gears are not lining up.
Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts