GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed the last couple of days the engine sounded funny upon start up - but no check engine light had come on so I didn't think anything of it...... It ran fine. Today I went out to go to work, started up (still sounded funny) pulled out of driveway, and the message board flashed - engine power reduced - and then another one that said service stabilizer - and the check engine light came on ---- I pulled over to the side of the street, turned the car off thinking something just needs to reset - tried to start it back up - and it wouldn't start........ After about 10 min - I called roadside assistance and they sent a tow truck to take it to the Chevy dealer in my area.... I have the extended warranty on the car, it has 57,000 + miles on it, I've maintained changing the oil regularly (every 3,000 to 5,000 miles) depending on highway/city mileage I've done; even though the owner's manual says I should wait until the car tells me to change the oil, and it's usually around 75%-50% according to the message center when I change it! Does anyone know what's going on with my car, as I patiently wait for the dealer to call me back and tell me what they think is wrong with it? Thanks - any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Hopefully its something simple to fix.

Also- service stabilizer....
should be

"Service Stabilitrak"

·
Registered
482 Posts
I can't find it right now but I believe there is a TSB that addresses the general symptoms and involves replacing high pressure fuel pump. This may or may not be the problem.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would be happy to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer? Contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before I begin I have to tell you that every car that I've owned since I started driving 24 years ago has been a GM product. Being young you can imagine what I have put some of those cars through and every one of them ran like a champ. Of course as I've gotten older, I started treating my cars with more respect (regular maintenance-oil changes, tune ups, etc). I refused to own anything other than a GM product....until now!
Let me tell you about my wonderful 2010 Chevy Equinox....
First the good news: I absolutely LOVE my Equinox! I have NEVER had a car that drove through ANYTHING! Rain, snow...you name it, the car goes through it! (When it's actually running :D) However.......

Since I owned my Equinox I have had it in the garage for the "High Powered Fuel Pump" to be replaced (Under warranty), A cracked Manifold that had to be replaced (Out of pocket), Timing chain, pistons, piston rings, and something else-I cant remember (Fortunately the drive train warranty covered that), and NOW it is in the garage because the check engine light is on and I am getting the "Reduced power engine (wont let me go over 20mph) and Service Stabili-Trak (This will be out of pocket - Not to mention the monies that I have to spend out of pocket for a rental car). I called the Chevy garage that I had all the big work done (timing chain, pistons, etc, etc). They were so unbelievably rude to me, and since I did NOT purchase the car from that particular garage, they wouldn't assist me because they were "too busy" with "their" customers. Now, one would think since it is a chevy garage, no matter were I purchased the vehicle, that they would tend to it and treat me as one of their own customers...apparently in the auto world, it doesn't work that way. It just seems like every time I turn around there is always something wrong with it.

To be quite frank, I think GM should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for even producing such a train wreck let alone putting it on the market for sale! It saddens me to think through all these years, and all the GM's that I have owned that it only took one vehicle to put such a bitter taste in my mouth. It's one thing when you purchase something for 5 bucks and it goes south, but when you spend THOUSANDS on something that depreciates the moment you drive it off the lot and you expect it to run like you've paid thousands for it, and it doesn't, its quite dishearten

Ugh! I am just so angry right now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh and I might I add I also got a nice letter from GM telling me that in SOME models that it "uses" oil and that I need to check my oil regularly between oil changes.
If you know that it is "using" oil, that only tells me something isn't right! FIX IT!!! Your mistake, own it!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Okay.. I have read a few people paid out of pocket for a cracked manifold.. however I just read one case beyond the 36k b2b that had that warranted. As far as the newest problem. It is the throttle body. Either it is filthy or needs to be replace. It is becoming a common thing. How many miles on your Equinox?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
And yes oil will be somewhat consumed. Welcome to the 21st century. The diredirect injection motor is different. So every 2k miles lift the hood and pull out the dipstick. Check it for oil loss.. wipe it clean shove back in pull it out see what ya got. The owners manual clearly states to do this. Gess in 5yrs you have never touched it to see.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Yep, Valerie13, the 2010 Equinox/Terrain are a wreck. Nothing surprising here.
If you're willing - try getting a newer model, something like 2013+. GM seemed to finally work out all the issues.
There's a learning curve for everything and for everyone. Gasoline direct injection was significantly new to GM. You bought it. Sucks there are so much trouble, but perhaps consider buying vehicles that don't feature brand new technology?

The same could be said for when GM first introduced "fuel injection". So many bad early designs. Same for "cylinder deactivation" - so many bad designs in the '80's. The new technology now is the "gasoline direct injection". Better designs and tolerances will come over time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GM Customer Svc said:
I would be happy to look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer? Contact me privately for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
I had a reduced engine power popped up on my 2011 Terrain...and that was scary as vehicle started making nosies , I was standing in line at my daughters school....Dealer says its a known issue ...Throttle Body replacement ...would cost me 600 Dollars....Why the hail GM does not cover it under warranty if its a known issue...Frustated...This is second time I have gone to dealer for powertrain issue.. first was the intake cam shaft snesor connector got shot....How the hail that happend ...My terrain is only 38000 miles...I dont trust quality here..I am afirst time GM buyer and will not buy GM vehicle again...I also have recall notice for the seat bolt...so GM can send recall for simple things but not for bigger one

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
roku said:
I had a reduced engine power popped up on my 2011 Terrain...and that was scary as vehicle started making nosies , I was standing in line at my daughters school....Dealer says its a known issue ...Throttle Body replacement ...would cost me 600 Dollars....Why the hail GM does not cover it under warranty if its a known issue...Frustated...This is second time I have gone to dealer for powertrain issue.. first was the intake cam shaft snesor connector got shot....How the hail that happend ...My terrain is only 38000 miles...I dont trust quality here..I am afirst time GM buyer and will not buy GM vehicle again...I also have recall notice for the seat bolt...so GM can send recall for simple things but not for bigger one
Before replacing the throttle body, try buying a can of spray Throttle Body cleaner. CRC makes it and available at many auto supply stores. There is a thread recently here on how to do it. I will post it below soon. Do the cleaning with no key in the ignition and you have to remove the air cleaner tube to the throttle body to gain access to it and also the top plastic engine cover which just pulls off.

Here is the Link:
http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=7265.20

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
roku said:
.I also have recall notice for the seat bolt...so GM can send recall for simple things but not for bigger one
Recalls are not based on complexity of the repair, but on whether it is a safety issue or not. In your case, the Safety Board does not consider the throttle body issue that you are having to be a safety issue. Sorry !

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I would second the cleaning of the throttle body. I am wondering how many of these issues with throttle bodies are being related to people not doing proper maintence. Air filters are not a tremendous amount of money. If it seems they are getting this dirty to warrant a cleaning then it would be suspect of repeadedly going beyond a filters life and particles of dirt collecting on the throttle body blade. Some parts of the country may have higher than normal conditions depending on droughts and cold seasons with salt on the roads. I can see some failures but to what has pooped up recently I am beginning to speculate. I change my air filter every 10k miles needed or not. Cause not only is the throttle body effected but too would be the MAS air flow sensor. All related to preformane of any motor. Unless there are some deaths related to the motor bogging down and loss of power I doubt any recalls will be issued. Now too a dealer will replace before cleaning. They make more money that way. Since its only 4 bolts and a wire connection to take off they would have it done faster than a cleaning..not to mention ensurin a possible return visit.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Rit said:
Recalls are not based on complexity of the repair, but on whether it is a safety issue or not. In your case, the Safety Board does not consider the throttle body issue that you are having to be a safety issue. Sorry !
Another one post wonder?? They come and take the time to post, do not reply to any helpful suggestions, and never come back to say what happened.

Why take the time to even register if they do not really want help? I am beginning to wonder if some of these posts are shills from other non GM forums that catch drift of some issues and then come here to make phony complaints. Or someone like the "Pride & Joy" Honda fan-boy who posted pictures of his Accord while bashing the Equinox he bought used from a Toyota dealer no less!

This makes 3 posters in this thread alone who came here, registered, and only made one or two posts never to be seen again. Very curious!

If I am wrong and the poster comes back. . .. . many apologies. But somehow I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Very well could be.. or they haven't had time to respond back. But either way it is what it is. Wasn't like they were ignored.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Davek said:
Very well could be.. or they haven't had time to respond back. But either way it is what it is. Wasn't like they were ignored.
Well. . . the very first post is from April 2012. LOL How long do we wait? :shrug:

But you're right. At least they were not ignored. But maybe ungrateful. . . :facepalm:

·
Registered
352 Posts
How true, well if they had spent a few hours researching on the net before they bought a MY 10 or 11 I4, they would learn a lot about them and maybe not pulled the trigger on one.
That's the great thing about the net lot's of info, good and bad, just have to sift through all it all.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Davek said:
I would second the cleaning of the throttle body. I am wondering how many of these issues with throttle bodies are being related to people not doing proper maintence. Air filters are not a tremendous amount of money. If it seems they are getting this dirty to warrant a cleaning then it would be suspect of repeadedly going beyond a filters life and particles of dirt collecting on the throttle body blade. Some parts of the country may have higher than normal conditions depending on droughts and cold seasons with salt on the roads. I can see some failures but to what has pooped up recently I am beginning to speculate. I change my air filter every 10k miles needed or not. Cause not only is the throttle body effected but too would be the MAS air flow sensor. All related to preformane of any motor. Unless there are some deaths related to the motor bogging down and loss of power I doubt any recalls will be issued. Now too a dealer will replace before cleaning. They make more money that way. Since its only 4 bolts and a wire connection to take off they would have it done faster than a cleaning..not to mention ensurin a possible return visit.
Davek, I doubt the throttle body is getting dirty due to failing intake air filters. There are a whole lot of carbon deposits in the intake, and some of it eventually makes its way back to the throttle body. The EGR is not being filtered when it's recirculated. Lots of carbon deposits from this. Then the PCV is also not being filtered. The oil vapors that were sucked in will lead to carbon deposits too when the engine is cooled down after shut down.

Probably the real problem is manufacturers going too cheap on weak stepper motors for the throttle position blades. These carbon deposits behind the blades were not a problem for throttle bodies back in the 90's because there were strong return springs, and they were manually opened by our foot! If the manufacturers would double up on the stepper motor torque, I don't think we'll be seeing these issues anymore. But yeah... that's $$$. It's more profitable for the manufacturers to just list an additional necessary maintenance of "Clean Throttle Body" in the recommended service manual. Coming soon?? :facepalm:

Or perhaps the manufacturers should add a program at the end of every engine shutdown to fully open then close the throttle blade. This might help keep the carbon deposits from building up to interfere with the blades? :shrug:

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
@ Chas:

I think you are exactly right. Oil vapors, water vapor, heating then cooling, a bit of all this would start to coat the back side and edge of the butterfly plate.

In fact, I saw a recent Motor Week episode where Pat Goss showed a throttle body off an engine and there was no "day light" around the edge of the closed butterfly when it was in the closed position. After cleaning, there was the necessary bit of clearance for idle air flow. The stepper motor varies this, of course, during warm up, when AC is running, running at higher altitudes, etc.

But I agree. The stepper motors should be more beefy. Back some years ago I do believe the butterfly was exercised open and close at engine shut off ( or was it pre start?) Anyway, I do not think that is happening anymore. I guess we could do it ourselves after shutting the engine off, or before hitting the start position on start up?

For $5 or so, a good cleaning with Throttle Body cleaner is a good maintenance practice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts