GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone...

First, I'll start by saying that there are many things that I love about my Equinox. In fact, it's been great! However, since we drive it quite a bit, I'm now out of my warranty. I'm currently around 38k and issues are starting to occur.

Quite a few miles ago, before the warranty was out, I took it to the dealership for rough start up. It would be rough, almost feeling like it was going to die, but after about a minute, it would be totally fine. The dealer updated some codes and it was good-to-go.

Now, a few weeks ago, I went to shut it off at my family's house. Instead of shutting off "cleanly", it rattled on for a few seconds. It did this two or three times, but hasn't done it since then. I believe the next week, I was pulling up to a stop sign and the "Service Stabilitrak" warning came on. At the same time, while sitting there, it was running a bit rough. Again, it hasn't done that since then. Over this past weekend, I was sitting in a store parking lot and once again, it starting running rough, almost feeling like it would die. Tonight, once getting home from work, I noticed it running rough when I was parking, but no warning lights. So, I put it in park, lightly pressed the gas with the door opened. It almost sounded like it needed cleared out, or had a miss.

I've filled up with gas more than once, but these things always happen. I am due for an oil change, but can't imagine this being caused by it. Especially since they've been going on for a few weeks.

Now that the holidays are over, I'm looking to get it checked out, plus get an oil change/tire rotation.

ANY IDEAS on what the issue may be?

Thanks,
Shawn

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Black Granite Metallic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like the same problems a lot of people are having with the 2011s. You might want to read the Noisy Startup thread.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dont think its the same issue...sounds like maybe some bad gas..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I originally thought bad gas could be part of the issue. However, since the first issue or two happened, I've filled my tank up numerous times. A few times letting it get pretty low before filling back up.

I'll be extremely frustrated if it's something that's not under the PowerTrain Warranty. Especially since nothing was wrong with it until I after I went passed the thirty-six thousand mile mark. Oh well, I guess.

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
something with the plugs, or fuel injection..

best bet, take it in for service and hope for the best! good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Now, I'm just wondering whether I should take it to a local repair shop that I trust, or a Chevrolet dealership. Hmmm...

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
361 Posts
change the fuel filters

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
AMG Eric said:
change the fuel filters
How many fuel filters do we have, and what is the recommended service interval, and why would you think that is causing his problem ? Care to explain ?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is this an issue of running the car in the ECO mode? There have been a few threads about running in ECO and rough idle which went away when ECO was turned off.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yeah, these issues are beyond the ECO mode issues...

something else is going on..

could be as easy as a cam sensor flaking out...

or fouled plug.

I would pull the engine codes , see if what service codes if any have come up during the issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I have not been running ECO Mode for a very long time. In fact, I rarely used it after purchasing the vehicle. Maybe once or twice.

It seems like a sensor would be a good guess. I had a friend of mine listen to it when it was having the issue with continuing to run after shutoff. He mentioned that he thinks that it could be a sensor.

I'm not mechanically savvy at all. So, I was hoping that with all of the issues, it could all be traced to one thing.

Thanks again,
Shawn

·
Registered
142 Posts
Shawn said:
Hello, everyone...

First, I'll start by saying that there are many things that I love about my Equinox. In fact, it's been great! However, since we drive it quite a bit, I'm now out of my warranty. I'm currently around 38k and issues are starting to occur........

Thanks,
Shawn

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Black Granite Metallic
Take it to the dealership. Powertrain 5 year/100,000 miles. That is the Engine and Transmission.
JCarm75

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you tried any fuel injector cleaners?
The problem with replacing fuel filters is that they can be expensive and a pain to remove. FYI-I had a '98 truck with 141K miles and never changed the fuel filters. I did change them in my '01 xterra with 80k miles.

J.Carm75

·
Registered
361 Posts
RIT333 said:
How many fuel filters do we have, and what is the recommended service interval, and why would you think that is causing his problem ? Care to explain ?
they might be clogged if he got sediment from one of the gas station tanks. in CA this cant happen because all tanks were replaced by law in the last 5 years and they were not allowed to be made of metal.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
AMG Eric said:
they might be clogged if he got sediment from one of the gas station tanks. in CA this cant happen because all tanks were replaced by law in the last 5 years and they were not allowed to be made of metal.
Eric

How many gas filters do we have, and do you know what the recommended change interval is ?

THX

Rit

·
Registered
361 Posts
RIT333 said:
Eric

How many gas filters do we have, and do you know what the recommended change interval is ?

THX

Rit
no idea on both. i just know a friend owns a shop and clogged fuel filters cause lots of issues with fuel injected mortors.

·
Registered
142 Posts
From looking at schematics, there is one by the tank.
As for when to change it? That would depend on when/if it is clogged. (One truck had two and the other had one filter, I think 1 is standard on most vehicles )
If you are planning to DIY, there is a procedure for the process.
Something like removing the fuel pump fuse, start the car and let it stop when it is starved for gas. This is to relieve the fuel pressure in the line. Then you could remove the fuel filter without getting sprayed/spraying fuel everywhere.
Did it like three years ago.

J. Carm75

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
jcarm75 said:
From looking at schematics, there is one by the tank.
As for when to change it? That would depend on when/if it is clogged. (One truck had two and the other had one filter, I think 1 is standard on most vehicles )
If you are planning to DIY, there is a procedure for the process.
Something like removing the fuel pump fuse, start the car and let it stop when it is starved for gas. This is to relieve the fuel pressure in the line. Then you could remove the fuel filter without getting sprayed/spraying fuel everywhere.
Did it like three years ago.

J. Carm75
Thanks !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts