GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible to install a roof rail on a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS ?

The genuine parts made for the 2010 Chevy Equinox LT is available at many online GM parts dealers but I don't know if the 2010 Chevy Equinox LT has something special into the roof (e.g. nuts built-in at the roof or something else) that could not exist on the LS ?? Also, I don't see any bolts/ screws kit that come with roof rails parts.

Anybody can help for this specific question ?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
Try a search on "Roof rails". I believe that people are trading/selling these items, so it must be possible. IIRC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Cottonseed,

First of all, I want to thank you for your reply.

If I refer to your first link, I should need (see the illustration) part # 1, part #2, part #3 and part #4 (part #5 if I decide to install cross rails)

Also, I need roof molding/w luggage rack (left & right). That's it ?

In another hand, do you own a 2010 Equinox LS ? If yes, have you already installed roof rails ? Do you know if the garage had to drill on the roof ? (I was wondering if I can jeopardize my warranty)

Thank you

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a LT but just traded my rails to someone else on the forum. Its a simple swap over, the hardest part is disengaging the very first tab of the very first clip (the one right next to the windshield). There is no drilling required, you already have the 4 studded bolts per side underneath your molding piece just need to put the rail in place, bolt down, snap in the rail cover, snap in the front molding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would just add that you can swap between the 2010 equinox's and terrains they all have the same roof parts/configuration...its about a 30 min job tops...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,

I got priceless information from all people who posted about my question but I was wondering if anyone has a real experience to share regarding the installation of roof rails on a 2010 Chevy Equinox LS ? (We already have an experience of roof rails removal from cottonseed but I would like to have more details about your real installation experience)

Thank you !

·
Registered
33 Posts
well.. I believe I was the first to install on a non factory equipped 'nox/terrain. The installation is very easy. There are about 6 or 7 clips to get the factory rain gutter trim off. The studs for the factory roof rails are already welded into place regardless trim level package purchased. There are 2 studs on each side that the rails mount to and then there is a small front trim piece that snaps into place. There are pictures in the gallery ( you may need to search under my username) from the service manual. Its pretty easy...all thats needed is a small flathead screwdriver and if I remember correctly a 10mm socket to install/remove the roof rail retaining nuts. Everything else just snaps together/apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Dodell for your post.

I watched your picture and it was very helpful. Also, I realized that you did this job by yourself. Congratulation....

Can you validate my previous question regarding required items (I have identified 5 parts to order per rail. Is it correct?)

Thanks

* If someone want to sale their roof rails, let me know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes it would be 5 pieces per side if you order the cross rails also. And like what was mentioned before the rail cover can be in chrome or black. Originally I planned on getting a Yakima or Thule mount for the roof rails but the way they are designed there wouldnt be alot of room between the bars so I went with the factory cross bars to give the most distance in beween the cross bars since I was hauling a 13 ft kayak around. I'm not sure where you plan on ordering the parts from but gmpartsdirect.com was about the cheapest I had found before I was lucky enough to find someone on here willing to trade me thier roof rails. Like I said before the equinox and terrain roof rail parts are interchangeable so your cheapest option would be to find someone willing to trade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Dodell !

Keep me posted if someone want to get rid of their roof rails ! (2010 Terrain/Nox)

·
Registered
1 Posts
dodell, good input. just getting my hands on 2010 ls and joining forum. roof is currently naked ie no side rails but i understand the rain rail you speak of. So i need to remove this rail and when i install the side rails i will additionally install a new rain rail that is cut specific for the length minus the side rail...? how many clips do i need to purcahse #3 on your link and how many #4 rear cover?

i would need to purchase the following to complete job if i understand you correctly:
1 #1 L 1 #1 R
1 #2 L 1 #2 R
how many #3's? (clips)
how many #4's? (rear cover)
1 #5, because it has two cross rails?
1 w/luggage L 1 w/luggage R

whats difference in 5/7/10 or 5/8/10?

thx for feedback

1 - 12 of 12 Posts