GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

Has anyone attempted a 3.0L to 3.6L engine swap? I'm running into issues with my 3.0L and I'm noticing the 3.6L engines are cheaper to replace. Any info you can provide about the mounts, wiring harnessed & Computer reprogramming would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance......

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
Powecat said:
Greetings

Has anyone attempted a 3.0L to 3.6L engine swap? I'm running into issues with my 3.0L and I'm noticing the 3.6L engines are cheaper to replace. Any info you can provide about the mounts, wiring harnessed & Computer reprogramming would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance......
Wow - and extended warranty won't cover this either ? WHat does your e.w. cover ?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Powecat said:
Greetings

Thanks in Advance......
Just off hand. . . I would say trying to plop in a 3.6L in place of the 3.0L would require a lot of rework. ECM' would be different which also means major wire harness changes. Then there is the transmission match up. Even if all the hardware somehow worked out, then you would need some serious reprogramming of ECM, BCM, TCM modules to talk to one another properly.

This would require a good deal of research, so certainly not a cake walk.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
JayT2014 said:
Just off hand. . . I would say trying to plop in a 3.6L in place of the 3.0L would require a lot of rework. ECM' would be different which also means major wire harness changes. Then there is the transmission match up. Even if all the hardware somehow worked out, then you would need some serious reprogramming of ECM, BCM, TCM modules to talk to one another properly.

Also, if your State does emissions testing, the 3.6 would not be certified for your vehicle, and you could have an illegal powertrain. I would recommend sticking with the 3.0L

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Rit said:
Also, if your State does emissions testing, the 3.6 would not be certified for your vehicle, and you could have an illegal powertrain. I would recommend sticking with the 3.0L
Yes, there is that too and a long list of other issues that would arise. Not worth writing a book about it for sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3.0 to 3.6 Terrain swap

I have a similar issue and hope/desire. The 3.0 in my 2010 Terrain had catastrophic engine failure (damaged rods) with 126k on the odometer. I don't want to suffer the same potential fate with another 3.0. Are the engine blocks on the two slightly different GM engines that much different, and are the sensors very different? A successful 3.6 swap would provide more power and hopefully a more stable, stronger rotating assembly. Does anyone know of a compatibility guide for these two engines?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't believe there is a compatibility guide for the two engines that I know of.

As far as changing it, you could probably get away with changing everything from a 3.6L newer terrain, as in Motor, Transmission, Computers, wiring harness, etc, but you would need to research exactly what is needed. As far as emissions goes, I think you can change to a newer engine that meets or exceeds your current engine's emissions standards and was offered in your model vehicle as long as the emissions components are kept in place.

That being said, it would be a lot of research and a lot of money to replace it, but if you are willing to do it, please document everything for the next guy. I personally would replace it with a reman or low mile 3.0 and be done. You got 126k out of the first, so if you keep the replacement up, you should be set for a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, i receintly have a 2010 caddilac srx with bad 3.0. was chatting with someone called Will @ overkill..... was told that 3.6 LFX will swap over. this is part of what he said
Will @ Overkill Motorsports <[email protected]>
Mon, May 24, 11:13 PM

to me

Good evening.

The 3.0 is a short stroke 3.6 LFX, you got it, the engine is otherwise physically the same on the outside. If you found another 3.6 from a 12-15 SRX, it could be swapped in place of the 3.0. There's a few items that would need to be swapped from the 3.0, such as the throttle body and the high pressure fuel pump, and I would need to reprogram for the difference in fuel injector size and engine size but can do that using the 3.0 computer module.

You can also look for something from another front drive platform, the Equinox and the Impalas are both common cheaper sources, and may require swapping the upper intake manifold and oil pans but otherwise will be similar. Just avoid some of the rear drive platforms that have extended front timing covers such as the ATS, 14-15 CTS, the Colorado/Canyons for example, otherwise you'll have to swap the front timing cover and harmonic balancer pulley over.

Hope that helps

Will @ Overkill Motorsports <[email protected]>
May 26, 2021, 5:17 PM
to me

AWD probably has a different oil pan but not certain on SRXs. Block design should be the same to 2015. The 2010 3.0 computers are fine, they're not the 2011 and older 3.6 Bosch computers, they're actually GM computers like the 2012-15 3.6s and I can program them for what you need. Would recommend doing the HP Tuner suite if possible, $549 for the tuning suite and my services as a combo.

"THEN HE WENT SILENT"
End of replies from him. i tried and tried to get him to reply back some more without success. I was ready to hire him to do the programming when he stopped talking. so now i have the engine he approved would be good one for the swap. i have a low mile 2015 LFX 3.6 and no one to do the needed programming. I am at a point of stall and don't know what to do. I seen this post and was hopping together we could come up with something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings

Thanks in Advance......
3.0 and 3.6 same problems junk engines carbon build up misfires rough idle needs heads rebuilt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive done well over 50 of these. the 3.6L will work as a direct bolt in for the 3.0L. will run a bit rough until fuel trims relearn. no need to change injectors or HPFP. Same ECU.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 173k miles
4,190 Posts
Ive done well over 50 of these. the 3.6L will work as a direct bolt in for the 3.0L. will run a bit rough until fuel trims relearn. no need to change injectors or HPFP. Same ECU.
Could you give us more detail? Are you just dropping the 3.6L engine in there with the existing transmission? No problem with mounts? And what model years have you done this? The wiring harness on the 3.6L works transparently without replacing any components around the engine? And no re-programming of the ECU, either ... or are your saying "same ECU, but re-programmed"? And then who is re-programming the ECU?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts