GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy...

A few questions...

1. Is anyone having trouble with the hatch not coming down from the open position when hitting the close button on it? It only seems to happen when it is cold out however.

2. The tires are losing air on almost a weekly basis with one losing air at a faster rate. TPMS coming on a lot. I think a new bead/seal and a check of the valve stems at the dealer will solve this. Thoughts?

3. Does the 2010 have a cabin air filter?

4. Where can I find a maintenance schedule? All I received when I bought the Nox was a Schedule 1 and Schedule 2. They are very expensive and I would prefer to do things as listed on a maintenance schedule based on mileage? For instance, I have asked to have my air filter changed and the dealer keeps telling me it doesn't need it. I have 40K on it. I have never known an air filter to last that long. I would like to know what to change and at what mileage but can find nothing. Thanks.

5. Is it OK to change my oil before the OLM tells me to? I know it is, but, will it throw anything else off? I am changing now anywhere from 7-8K miles and think that is too long.

Thanks,
Maria

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No help from anyone?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The owner's manual will have all the information you will need. You should be able to locate one on line if it didn't come with the car. Yes there is a cabin filter. Where it is and how to access it is vehicle dependent. You can change your oil as frequently as you want to. The OLI tells you when you need to change oil, but following it is at your descretion. In cold weather all sorts of things slow down and the auto door closing is one.

Leaky tires can be a common problem. Does your car have chrome wheels. Are you located in the snow belt. The chrome wheels on my 99 Buick corroded and they would leak. My solution was find another set of wheels from a junkyard that had been cleaned up. At $200/wheel, I vowed not to get chrome wheels again. You also could have leaky valve stems. You could go to a tire store and get the tires remounted and reseated, if the tires are in good shape.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maria,

Here are some answers (and my opinions):

1. Is anyone having trouble with the hatch not coming down from the open position when hitting the close button on it? It only seems to happen when it is cold out however.

I do notice in cold weather I need to press or hold the button in a little longer to make the hatch come down. I don't think it's a big problem, but if it gets worse or really annoys you, have it checked.

2. The tires are losing air on almost a weekly basis with one losing air at a faster rate. TPMS coming on a lot. I think a new bead/seal and a check of the valve stems at the dealer will solve this. Thoughts?

Yes, I agree, especially if all four tires are losing air.

3. Does the 2010 have a cabin air filter?

Yes, it's behind the glovebox and fairly easy to change out. Go to the Chevy site and download the manual for the 2011 Equinox -- it's explained in there.

4. Where can I find a maintenance schedule? All I received when I bought the Nox was a Schedule 1 and Schedule 2. They are very expensive and I would prefer to do things as listed on a maintenance schedule based on mileage? For instance, I have asked to have my air filter changed and the dealer keeps telling me it doesn't need it. I have 40K on it. I have never known an air filter to last that long. I would like to know what to change and at what mileage but can find nothing. Thanks.

Again, go the the Chevy site and download the 2011 Equinox manual. It's more user-friendly with respect to the maintenance schedule because it's based on mileage, not the Schedule I and II stuff. Follow it but ignore the requirement for Dexos certified oil.

5. Is it OK to change my oil before the OLM tells me to? I know it is, but, will it throw anything else off? I am changing now anywhere from 7-8K miles and think that is too long.

Absolutely. I change it every 5,000 regardless of what the OLM says, and I use dino oil (Valvoline).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Maria

On the oil change issue, if it is done by a non-dealer (or maybe even a dealer), they may not know how to, or forget to reset the OLM back to zero after the oil change. This is simple, and can be done by yourself via the Console. It is explained in the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! Great suggestions! I really appreciate your responses!

Thanks again!

-Maria

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Maria,

Have you brought your concerns to the attention of your local dealer. Please feel free to keep me posted and contact me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts