GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I salvaged the RVC and the rear view mirror/screen out of a 2011-2013 Terrain. The mirror is a Gentex 657 which I've easily found the pinout for that. The camera though is proving a bit more difficult. So teh tag on the cable has the following series of numbers:

C0084008
RJ841A160000

So far I've only found info for the 290xxxx number and that wasn't much at all. Seems GM used at least two dozen different wire color combos between the SUVs, trucks and cars with a super similar rear view arrangement. Anyway I've got a grey 6 pin connector with the following colors: red, black, white, pink, light blue and light green (those last two are so close that it's super hard to tell them apart)

So red and black are obvious.. the white should be the video pair shielding. The other colors I have no real idea.. pink might be the reverse voltage but I really cannot figure this out. Then to compound the issue I was reference of the reverse voltage being less than 12(13)vdc. I've got it all wired up on my test bench to a power supply, I heard a very slight but audible crackle of electricity when I made contact to positive with teh pink wire so now I'm worried I damaged something.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2010 chevy equinox 2.4
851 Posts
I would say if you bench tested the camera and did not hook it up right and there was an audible sound coming from it, its definitely fried. Especially if you hooked up the pink to + instead of red. I suggest either just buy the correct exact camera or mirror for your vehicle because those wires go through the bcm and you really don't want to short that system out. Or install a complete aftermarket camera in the same hole literally less than 40$ or you can get factory parts from eBay for less than 100$... Did your car not come with the camera or is there something wrong with it? What kind of backup camera was in the car? I'm assuming 2 or more of those wired are digital signal wires and 1 was a reverse + signal wire. If those 2 really close colored ones are for signal and the reverse signal wire was pink it would be fine. But seriously you shouldn't mess with anything attached to the bcm. Glad it wasn't connected to the car at least. If you can find one with the same type of connectors you could totally try it on the car like without bench testing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So no, my 09 F150 did not come with any sort of RVC so this is all new. And Im of the opinion that adding a factory setup that utilizes the BCM is way more expense and complexity than a person should need.
This isn't my first rodeo adding things and devices into a car that either didn't come factory or sometimes don't belong. I'm simply trying to find the correct wiring colors and/or diagram for this camera.

Oh and if the electrical pop or crackle had come from the camera itself I would have mentioned that, because that's an obvious thing. I only mentioned the noise because it was like when you first touch your hot battery cable to the post.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have an early build 2014 Equinox so this info might be of some help
Because it's an LTZ the RVC comes in through the touch screen radio.

Light green wire from Camera to exterior Rear Back Up Lights to BCM
Pink wire Circuit #1339 to fuse #54 Instrument Panel Fuse Block to Main Ignition Relay
Pink and light blue (twisted) to Radio
Blunt cut shielded bare wire to Camera
Black/White to Ground

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 170.5k miles
4,080 Posts
@Skeer : On my 2011, the 6-pin "B87 RearView Camera (UVC)" has no red wire, but here's what it shows:

Circuit# (in green) Function (in Red)

Pin1: 0.35 PK 6972 Camera Signal +
Pin2: 0.35 BARE 6974 Drain Wire
Pin3: 0.35 L-GN 24 Backup Lamp Supply Voltage
Pin4: 0.35 L-BU 6973 Camera Signal -
Pin5: 0.35 BK/WH 1651 Ground
Pin6: 0.35 PK 1339 Ignition Voltage

The mirror plug is either a 10 or 16-pin plug. Which one of those do you have?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @rednox301 and @Colt Hero

yeah the presence of the red wire is super confusing. But thank you guys very much, I’m going to give it a shot later without the red wire connected. I really wished I had snipped off both sides of this connector, maybe the red was not plumbed to the back of the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Thanks @rednox301 and @Colt Hero

yeah the presence of the red wire is super confusing. But thank you guys very much, I’m going to give it a shot later without the red wire connected. I really wished I had snipped off both sides of this connector, maybe the red was not plumbed to the back of the vehicle.
Kind of funny that there's two PINK wires, but that's the way it's shown on both the Connector End and the Schematic.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
@Skeer : are those either ends? No red wire at the plug? Is that the Rear View Camera Plug because it doesn't look like my 2011 (two rows of three with pin 1 at top right above pin 4 at bottom right). That one looks like 6 pins in-line? And the wire colors into that plug don't jive, either. Is that pink on either end and two blacks in the middle?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Colt Hero So the OEM plug was grey square, two rows of 3 pins but I've been unable to find any numberings.
Hand Finger Communication Device Gadget Wood
Hand Finger Nail Wood Thumb

I ohmed out the wires:

Red -> Pink/Black
Pink -> Pink
White -> Lt Black
Black -> Black
Faint Blue -> Dk Blue
Lt Green -> Dk Green

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a picture! It's crappy and I might have the polarity of teh cam feed reversed.. that or my 12+vdc to one half of the cam feed earlier damaged it.
Automotive lighting Light Bumper Automotive exterior Gadget

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
@Skeer : Yeah, that attached image is almost exactly what my 2011 Manual shows, with the exception of the numbers for the OEM Connector and Terminated Lead.

So is that an upside-down image of your woodgrain desktop?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yessir it is. I did try reversing the polarity of the cam signal wires. Which made the display almost black with darkness. Also tried removing the shield/drain which had no effect. So yeah, pretty sure I toasted this.. which is fine I mean cameras are super cheap online.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts