GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post after going around the web checking out various Torrent/Equinox forums and finding this one to be one of the most populated and active ones. Evidently, as the Torrent died in 2009 and is therefore much more uncommon, the forums devoted to those are not too active, but since the Equinox for 2008 was very much the same vehicle, this forum looked to be the best place to register. :cheers:

Anyway, not much exists for a cold air intake for the Torrent/Equinox, other than a drop-in filter. The Torrent I just purchased 3 weeks ago is a 3.6L GXP. I'm planning to put in my own intake, which will involve some customization. I have a nice cone filter already and one idea involves using 3.5" aluminum tubing, which will downsize to 3" with a coupler right at the elbow. My question concerns the 2 plastic banana-like protruberances beneath the stock elbow just where it inlets into the throttle body. What do those do? My initial design would have the intake tube clamp directly onto the throttle body which would replace the stock plastic elbow entirely. I already know to re-mount the MAF sensor just after the K & N cone filter.

Thanks for the help!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Hello and welcome!
Which ever tubing size you decide to use, one would have to utilize part #5 (for the MAF) as the ID of this part is engineered specifically with the calibration of the MAF sensor. So unless you can get the exact ID on your replacement tubing, you would require a Tuner to recalibrate the MAF sensor to read the cfm correctly for the intake.

Regarding the two tubes underneath the elbow, if they are not connected to anything they I would say for your model they are simply the sound baffles for the intake system. And yes you can run without them, you may experience a slight louder sound than stock.
Especially at WOT (wide open throttle)[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
POLRCUB said:
Hello and welcome!
Which ever tubing size you decide to use, one would have to utilize part #5 (for the MAF) as the ID of this part is engineered specifically with the calibration of the MAF sensor. So unless you can get the exact ID on your replacement tubing, you would require a Tuner to recalibrate the MAF sensor to read the cfm correctly for the intake.[/color]
Thank you for the welcome & advice! I was hoping I could just Dremel a hole in the 3.5" intake tube and reattach the MAF sensor right onto the tube instead of reusing part #5...I'd prefer to stick with the larger 3.5" tube, of course. I've read that disconnecting the battery while swapping in the CAI would make the car "learn" the new settings, but maybe it doesn't always work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Torrid said:
Thank you for the welcome & advice! I was hoping I could just Dremel a hole in the 3.5" intake tube and reattach the MAF sensor right onto the tube instead of reusing part #5...I'd prefer to stick with the larger 3.5" tube, of course. I've read that disconnecting the battery while swapping in the CAI would make the car "learn" the new settings, but maybe it doesn't always work?
For what you would like to do, it will never work, battery disconnect does indeed force all the BCM's and ECM etc. to relearn, but only to what's programmed into them originally, to change those parameters requires a re-programmer.[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
POLRCUB said:
For what you would like to do, it will never work, battery disconnect does indeed force all the BCM's and ECM etc. to relearn, but only to what's programmed into them originally, to change those parameters requires a re-programmer.[/color]
Thanks again. With the 3.6L motor being a bona-fide performance engine for the Equinox Sport & Torrent GXP, and with the odd lack of performance upgrades being available for these SUVs, you'd think somebody has successfully done a custom cold-air intake for these. Everywhere I've searched, I've run into walls & dead ends. So I guess the next question/hurdle would be, with no scan-tools or performance chips being produced for these SUVs (none of the major aftermarket chip manufacturers seem to make any products for these cars), are they ways (or is there a chip/reprogrammer I missed in my research) to re-program so the MAF can work with a better-than-stock airflow situation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Torrid said:
Thanks again. are they ways (or is there a chip/reprogrammer I missed in my research) to re-program so the MAF can work with a better-than-stock airflow situation?
I'm referring to Professional Tuner shops, your tune would be custom for your air intake and vehicle, shop and dyno hourly rates would apply so it could run into hundreds of dollars as nothing is guaranteed on a dyno.

So more often than not, a custom CAI includes the original MAF sensor housing. You will gain HP by building it the way as mentioned, adding a custom exhaust will also help. [/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the tips. Well, here's the plan. I bought a BBP short-ram CAI, from what I can tell, it's the only one that is made for the Equinox/Torrent 3.6L. It's guaranteed to bolt right on. However, I'm not satisfied to just toss in a CAI only to have hot air get sucked into the TB. I'll mod it in stages. The first stage will be to use the existing MAF section with 3" tubing and no other modification. Stage 2 will be lengthening the intake tube ahead of the MAF so the K & N cone filter will be positioned down low, in the area of where the stock airbox would be. At this point, I'll try to fabricate a heat shield isolating the whole intake tube from heat from the passenger side of the engine bay. I won't even consider Stage 3 if I can't get that far. :)
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top