GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am a long time Chevy guy but this is my first post on this forum. I have a '08 Equinox Sport with 18" wheels. I have been issues with losing air (all four tires) and have had the car at the dealer for several attempts (over the last couple years) at remounting with very limited improvement. I'm fed up with the problem and the low profile tires because of this and the fact they have such a small volume of air that they fluctuate so much with temperature changes and loss so much pressure so fast. Anybody have any similar experiences with the low profile SPORT tires?

My real question however is this. I have decided to replace the wheels and tires with Equinox LS OEM 16" wheels and new tires to get tires with more volume of air. Has anyone done a wheel size change that requires a speedometer correction and is it difficult to have done?? Thanks for your input. BTW if anyone is interested in buying a set of 4 excellent condition 18" OEM Equinox Wheels let me know cause I will be selling mine (I'm throwing in the tires for free [`34,000 miles] and decent tread).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Check out this link and you will be able to input various tire sizes as compared to what you have on there now. The results will show you what difference there will be in Revolutions per mile, circumference, radius, diameter, and the difference in speedometer between the two tires.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

What is interesting is that the Enclaves and other Lambdas have 18, 19, and 20 inch wheels depending on the trim level. Because of various size tires, you can mount 18 inch tires and wheels to replace the 20 inch set up, and the speedometer and other readings will be very close to each other, almost as if no change had taken place! It's all a matter of aspect ratios because of the various size tires.

If the speedometer had to be reset for different tires, I believe a dealer using a Tech II tool could do that by connecting into your various modules via the OBD port. No more changing out speedometer gears at the end of a speedometer cable since everything is electronic now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 Sport and it came with 235/65/16 tires and wheels. The tire sticker on the driver side says it should be the 18" wheels. The use of this size tires and wheels keep the speed reading the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tamarac said:
Hello everyone. I am a long time Chevy guy but this is my first post on this forum. I have a '08 Equinox Sport with 18" wheels. I have been issues with losing air (all four tires) and have had the car at the dealer for several attempts (over the last couple years) at remounting with very limited improvement. I'm fed up with the problem and the low profile tires because of this and the fact they have such a small volume of air that they fluctuate so much with temperature changes and loss so much pressure so fast. Anybody have any similar experiences with the low profile SPORT tires?

My real question however is this. I have decided to replace the wheels and tires with Equinox LS OEM 16" wheels and new tires to get tires with more volume of air. Has anyone done a wheel size change that requires a speedometer correction and is it difficult to have done?? Thanks for your input. BTW if anyone is interested in buying a set of 4 excellent condition 18" OEM Equinox Wheels let me know cause I will be selling mine (I'm throwing in the tires for free [`34,000 miles] and decent tread).

Yes, I have an 08 Equinox Sport and first had to replace the front driver low-pro tire with 2 holes (debris perhaps). Now I see my right front is low since the weather change as of late. as displayed on the dash. These tires are very sensitive it seems. Read an article about some recalls on the new ones about the TPMS readout alerting drivers below the standard pressure..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you still have the 18" Equinox "Sport" wheels that your looking to sell? Condition and photos? Any idea if they will fit the 2010 to 2013 Equinox?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts