Pseudo front Brush bar and rear skid plate painted out body color
17 inch Chrome ten spoke Pontiac Torrent rims
4 new 235/65 17 Definity HP-100 tires
4 wheel Alignment
Brake Fluid Change
JBL 3way Rear Door Speakers
new Cabin Air Filter

Issues
Feb 2017 Day Time Running Lights begin High beam only problem. Resolved May 2017 with Fuse box replacement due to shortage.

March 2017 Head Gasket Failure . Resolved March 2017 new head gasket. 2 new heads, water pump, belt tensioner.

April 2017 Washer Pump not working. Resolved Washer Pump replaced.

April 2017 Heater Core Leak. Resolved May 2017 new Heater Core installed

May 2017 Check Engine Light code P0171. Pending....... Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaned light reset.

May 2017 Front Passenger Side Brake Random lock up. Resolved May 2017 R/F Caliper and Brake Hose Replaced.

All total I have put $3,500 into this Torrent in repairs/upgrades So total is now $7,400

Review
Beautiful Little SUV. 144,000 miles at this time. Runs excellent, super Clean. 2007 but looks like many newer models.
The AWD was flawless through snowy winter. Great on highway happy to run 65 to 80 mph. Decent on gas when soft
on the gas peddle 28 to 30 mpg hwy. Had the truck looking and running nice with the Chrome rims found on Craigslist,
a new set of Tire Pressure Monitors were put on the new rims as the old ones were stuck on the old ones, new tires and
alignment. When the head gasket blew and I decided right then to go all in on the fix up because no other used car would
be as good as this one if repaired. I Was willing to put in a remanufactured engine, but I have a great engine shop that
recommended the head gasket repair and due to heavy pitting and rot opted for new heads. Repair made and runs excellent.
Since I got the SUV every now and then a faint smell of antifreeze was present. After the head gasket repair the smell of
antifreeze increased. The Daytime running lights had already been malfunctioning by only working as high beams at times.
Unable to figure out the Daytime Running Lights I took it to the Chevy dealer. After 3 days with a loner car it was determined
the under hood fuse box had a short mean time in trouble shooting the problem they had quite a bit of the dashboard removed
So because dash board removal is a big part of the heater core replacement process the heater core was replaced at a very
reasonable price with all the unreasonable but necessary coast of diagnostic charges to find the Daytime Running Light issue
I came out slight ahead on the deal. One additional week with the loner and my torrent was back on the road.

Here is a note the Loner car was a 2017 Malibu with 700 miles on it very nice car, and it did not feel like an upgrade form my
2007 Torrent not in look interior or exterior (opinion of course) nor in ride quality (that is fact even the dealer and the techs
remarked on how well the Torrent feels). I told many people how I drove in to the dealer with a 2007 with 144,000 miles and
drove out with a 2017 with 700 miles, for free, and could not have been more unhappy. Cheesy. But Kudos to the Chevy dealer for
providing the loner and also the Service was excellent and the repairs completed.

With the torrent back in service, washed, waxed and tire shined. Life was bliss for 4 days.... then a check engine light, code p0171.
Began another gremlin search. O2 sensors, MAF, MAP, PCV valve hose all possible suspects. I checked the air filter wiped out the,
air filter box, cleaned the MAF sensor, and reset the check engine light. All was well and no return of check engine light. My daughter
who drives the Torrent the most had report an incident where the front passenger side brake was smoking one day. She drove it home
and the next day had no issue so dismissed it as a fluke. 2 weeks went by with a beautiful happy Torrent when on the high way in stop
and go traffic the same R/F passenger side brake locked up an hour on the side of the road it cooled off released and drove home
with out further trouble. I was able to recreate the lock up known her foot is heavier then mine on the brakes by full depressing brake
pedal at a stop light the caliper stuck. As I did it right outside of the Brake shop I was going to have it checked. I drove in and confirmed
a leaking Brake Caliper. I the R/F caliper and brake hose was replaced. The head build up may have caused the stick on weights to
get thrown off as I had noticed a slight shimmy at 60 to 65 mph from that wheel, the tire was rebalanced. As all else was checked ok.
I took it for a nice fast highway drive so smooth now shimmy gone. So that was yesterday. I'll be in a wait a see before any more
spending things I just want to do but don't have to.

Things I want to do to the Torrent.
A small powered sub woofer of some sort, it could even be to find a factory one.

New headlight Lenses. I have polished out the ones on it and they are not bad but new ones with white blubs will be real nice.

Front Struts for the GPX model as it may be one inch lower.

An Over Mirror type Back up camera install.

18 inch chrome wheels as bolt pattern seems to allow some Cadillac swaps to fit. Only at a bargain price, a real bargain. As having
OEM chrome ten spokes ($375. for the set a craigslist find an hour drive to pick them up) makes my Torrent really stand out.

We broke the cargo area cover so I'll grab one of those in time.

I'll consider an undercarriage coating before next winter.

In my mind I see a hood bug deflector but it my cheapen the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While sitting idle in park, Check Engine Light back on.
code P0171
No engine running change or power troubles. Torrent running smooth and feels great.
Will begin chasing this fault code in earnest.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Great story, my 06 Nox says Hi.

Everytime I go to a look at new cars during the test drive I realize my Nox is actually more fun to drive and costs almost nothing to operate. Dave Ramsey approved.
My neighbors across the street have a brand new Audi A5 ....gotta say that thing is super sexy, until they told me the price ....ouch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep your "06 Nox freshened up. With the 2017 Nox and many other SUV models keeping the same basic shape the "06 Nox is holding its age
well. Considering a remanufactured 3.4l V6 for it is $1600.00 to $1900.00 dollars. I intend to find another Torrent or even a Nox now that I know
more about the fix and cost of some issues that may be the reason a person is be ready to sell. I'll only be looking a bottom end bargain
to fix up as two grand kids are coming up on first car age. They are driving this one with their permits. Inspection is not due on my "'07 until
September so I have a little time to work out this p0171 code. If I get this p0171 code issue sorted out with out too much expense I think I'll be
ready for the 2nd one shortly there after that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Trouter said:
Great story, my 06 Nox says Hi.

Everytime I go to a look at new cars during the test drive I realize my Nox is actually more fun to drive and costs almost nothing to operate. Dave Ramsey approved.
My neighbors across the street have a brand new Audi A5 ....gotta say that thing is super sexy, until they told me the price ....ouch.
The Audi A5 starts at $42,800...not that much more than a loaded 2018 Equinox Premier (~$40K).

Audis depreciate pretty fast. A clean three year old A5 cabrio with 36-40K miles on it can be purchased for $32K. At the end of the day, I wouldn't want the repair costs associated with an Audi or other European make. The Chevy is much cheaper and more convenient with respect to maintenance :)

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
arcee said:
The Audi A5 starts at $42,800...not that much more than a loaded 2018 Equinox Premier (~$40K).

Audis depreciate pretty fast. A clean three year old A5 cabrio with 36-40K miles on it can be purchased for $32K. At the end of the day, I wouldn't want the repair costs associated with an Audi or other European make. The Chevy is much cheaper and more convenient with respect to maintenance :)
+1 . . . I agree.

Audi makes a nice vehicle. A friend of mine and his wife bought an A5 back in 2012 I think? Was a 2011 model I believe. They also had a Volvo X60. They had issues with both and not cheap to repair. I thought the A5 rode a bit rough and was quirky in handling. . . may have just been theirs. They finally traded the A5 and got a 1 year old Volvo XC60. It is ok I guess. When my fiend looked at our 2015 Equinox LTZ parked next to his XC60 even he said the Equinox seemed a lot nicer inside and out. But then followed it up with. . . "We just like a foreign brand."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few Youtube Videos and I was led to the rear PCV vent hose. It Runs from just after the MAF sensor to the back side of the engine just to the drivers side
of the coil pack. Sure enough I reached back there and found that hose disconnected just hanging there. I pushed the hose back in. The way it fits I can
see why they say anytime the air filter box is opened this hose is pulled out. I will secure it better later. I reset the check engine light p0171 code and will see how it goes this week.

Also found a super clean 2006 torrent for $2,500 with 195,000 miles. Its about 100 miles away from me on a used car lot. I need two weeks trouble free
on this one but if its still there in two weeks it may be the next one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put a little gasket sealant on the rear PCV vent hoes to secure it a bit better. Went on a nice 30 mile highway cruise and really enjoyed driving this thing.
A nice drizzling rain day.

Here is the video link that talks about this hose... https://youtu.be/fQa8Cb0zf4U]https://youtu.be/fQa8Cb0zf4U ..... its at the 5:23 mark he points to that vent hose location.

I attached a pic of modded headlights that I would like for my Torrent. Once I get the new set of lenses I will play around with the old ones and see if I can unseal them.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rear Sway Bar links

So the latest tweak to the 2007 Torrent was to find a cluttering noise from the chassis. Took it to the Chevy dealer that repaired the Lights and headgasket.
After a test drive and full suspension check while on a lift it was determined the sway bar end links where worn and causing the noise. With parts in stock about a two hour wait and $287.00 the Pontiac Torrent is riding noise free. Imagination says the little SUV is also riding smoother down the high way.
Although the rest of the suspension was checked out as ok there is a slight shimmy when breaking hard from 60 mph and even lifting off the gas at 65 mph. So that will be something to chase down between now ( July ) and ( October ) the plan is to replace the Front suspension with all Torrent GXP parts.
Highway Gas mileage is back up to 29.5 mpg with a non aggressive foot on 55 and 60 mph high ways around NYC.
A high quality set of RAIN X windshield wipers have also been installed.

I am quite Happy with This Pontiac Torrent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well is been 3 and a half years and my 07 torrent is still a gem. Other than regular oil changes. I change the starter. Had the alt rebuilt. Replaced cracked windshield. Replaced a vandal smashed rear passenger door glass. Replaced front struts. Put power stop slotted and center disc all around. New battery. This July the radiator plastic side tank on driver's side split up the seam. So I had the radiator, thermostat, upper and lower hoses and the two transmission lines replaced. That brings us up to date. The truck is still in extremely good appearance condition. Because my daily driver is another jewel on a Smart Car, my parking skills have fallen way off with the truck lol. Do yesterday I installed a really nice Vantop hd612t full mirror type front and rear backup camera unit. Nice easy install. I like it so much I ordered a 10 inch unit for the Smart car. The Smart's will be more for recording the front camera when running twisty country back roads..... Ummmmm....
Back to the truck.... The temp gauge is out of synch so I will get after that issue. I hope it's as simple as a battery disconnect to reset it. I will change out the coolant temp sensor as that's cheap and easy enough. I will also look for a Scangauge 2 unit. I have one in the Smart and love it as the Smart shares very little info on it's dash. But hopefully I won't have to repair or switch out the Torrents gauge cluster because only the temp dial is out of synch post radiator issue which did include an overheating condition. I also had the tranny fluid dumped and replaced during radiator repair. Truck is running better than new so smooth and suspension glides like butter. And not just because I drive around in The rock suspension smart dodging every pothole I can. Between 2 Daughters and a Son in law with 2018 Ford explorer sport. 2108 Mazda SUV, and a 2019 Hyundia SanteFe, I can say the 07 Torrent in no slouch against them. A dream mod would be to remap it for milage. But back to issues... There has always been some leak never drips just weeps and is wet underneath. Seamed more like oil. Now after tranny fluid top off there was a leak of tranny fluid on passenger side stops and does not leak on a cold or car at idle. What would cause only to leak while driving. Runs excellent but always a few more bugs to chase.

What a pair of Aces.
twcom.
MUQExwL.jpg

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Looks like you have a real love affair going here, keep it up.
Won't the Smart car fit in the back of the Torrent if you fold the seats down??

Reactions: RIT333 and kbz1960

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like you have a real love affair going here, keep it up.
Won't the Smart car fit in the back of the Torrent if you fold the seats down??9
Sure will on both counts. The Smart has a roomier front seat more head room. And side by side the drivers almost sit at the same height.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reading on the coolant temp gauge out of sync issue lead me to the simplest troubleshooting thing first. That was to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect the battery to reset the gauges. That did solve the issue and the coolant temp gauge is beck to operating normally.
Now since I have not given it a good ride since the radiator was repaired and I now need about 200 miles before it will be ready for the state inspection machines to read it due to the battery disconnect, its time to cruise it to see if I can get the leak to reappear as it does not leak when sitting still or at idle. I will go for a 5am ride tomorrow if it leaks I will drop it off at the shop if it doesn't..... take back home and wax it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well is been 3 and a half years and my 07 torrent is still a gem. Other than regular oil changes. I change the starter. Had the alt rebuilt. Replaced cracked windshield. Replaced a vandal smashed rear passenger door glass. Replaced front struts. Put power stop slotted and center disc all around. New battery. This July the radiator plastic side tank on driver's side split up the seam. So I had the radiator, thermostat, upper and lower hoses and the two transmission lines replaced. That brings us up to date. The truck is still in extremely good appearance condition. Because my daily driver is another jewel on a Smart Car, my parking skills have fallen way off with the truck lol. Do yesterday I installed a really nice Vantop hd612t full mirror type front and rear backup camera unit. Nice easy install. I like it so much I ordered a 10 inch unit for the Smart car. The Smart's will be more for recording the front camera when running twisty country back roads..... Ummmmm....
Back to the truck.... The temp gauge is out of synch so I will get after that issue. I hope it's as simple as a battery disconnect to reset it. I will change out the coolant temp sensor as that's cheap and easy enough. I will also look for a Scangauge 2 unit. I have one in the Smart and love it as the Smart shares very little info on it's dash. But hopefully I won't have to repair or switch out the Torrents gauge cluster because only the temp dial is out of synch post radiator issue which did include an overheating condition. I also had the tranny fluid dumped and replaced during radiator repair. Truck is running better than new so smooth and suspension glides like butter. And not just because I drive around in The rock suspension smart dodging every pothole I can. Between 2 Daughters and a Son in law with 2018 Ford explorer sport. 2108 Mazda SUV, and a 2019 Hyundia SanteFe, I can say the 07 Torrent in no slouch against them. A dream mod would be to remap it for milage. But back to issues... There has always been some leak never drips just weeps and is wet underneath. Seamed more like oil. Now after tranny fluid top off there was a leak of tranny fluid on passenger side stops and does not leak on a cold or car at idle. What would cause only to leak while driving. Runs excellent but always a few more bugs to chase.
View attachment 16990
What a pair of Aces.
twcom. View attachment 16990
Should put a busa engine in the smart car. Check out the diablo smart car. It kills Ferrari’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update I did replace the Coolant Temp Sensor after the Gauge got out of sync again the yellow wire in the sensor connection had a deep crimp in it, I addressed that and gauge again appears all in order.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did take the truck for a 4am ride. Got about 50 miles, heard metal on metal noise pulled over red fluid was leaking. that lead me to a local Father and Son repair shop 2 miles ( 2 10 mph with flashers on miles) away. I got there a 6am. Shop owner got opened at 8.30 am. After some fluid checks, top offs and test drives I was back on my way and drove straight the dealer 37 miles. But when I got there the truck had driven perfect and there was no leak as the shop guys had wiped the underside dry. So I drove the truck the other 13 miles home, again with no leaks and no issues. ,,,,,,

Here is the realization in all that. It appears that the leak had been from the Transfercase. It could make perfect sense during the recent radiator change not only were new trans mission lines installed, but the Transfercase oil was also changed. Now here is what I suspect. I suspect the transfer case leak may have been from the fill plug and is why there was no leak while truck was still and not running, but when driving would then leak out. With all topped off and tightened red fluid leak issues may be solved. New dilemma, I have no true Idea what type of fluid is in the tranny or the Transfercase. I do see the Transfercase as my new point of focus after much reading and many youtube videos today. I'll do a little more short range driving to see what goes on but I don't trust the truck enough yet for passengers.
For me to get stuck is one thing, to get stuck with the wife or grandkids that's a whole nother thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts