GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting after my 07 Torrent's electric fans to insure they are running proper. I have read at times the pigtail connections may become troublesome and need replacement. There is a small fan a larger fan and talk of running at high speed or low speed at various times. I have recently replaced the original radiator that had split in the seam on drivers side, and now just want the fans to purr and be happy. I don't suspect that is happening as there seems to be no pattern as to which fan turns on at what point. Just turning on the car cold with hood up watching the fans each time as car warms up the fans do something different. Just odd to me. So I will research what they should do and see how involved replacing the pigtails are, They seem relatively easy to get to. Any ideas on these fans would be appreciated.

·
Registered
629 Posts
At least one of the fans will come right on with engine cold if a/c is on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At this point I went ahead and changed the Coolant temp sensor. And low speed fans kick on with AC on I will take the truck out for a 3am decent run of at least 100 miles. That will give me a good idea on where it's at with temperature, high speed fan activation, and suspected trans fluid leak when unit is under pressure. So I'll either drive home ok. Drive to the dealership for service or be waiting on the side of the road for triple A. ..... I'll bring water and snacks😅

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I drove about 50 miles. Started hearing a metal on metal noise. Got out and sure was a heavy red fluid leak. With Flashers on I did a 10 mph 2 mile light foot drive to local gather and son shop. Got there at 6am they opened at 830 am after some fluid checks top offs and test drives. It was determined it is more likely a transfer case leak from the weep hole. But in the process tranny fluid topped off. Transfer case topped off. They would be some guys I would love to do needed work on the truck " just my kind of mechanic shop and guys. I left there and drove straight to the dealer. Cause when the issue could be anything I take it to the dealer and let them charge me for everything. **** **** ****. Got to the dealer after 37 miles of perfect driving truck. Got out and no leaks (shop had wiped it clean underneath) I figured since I was there I would pop in and say hello. Only to find the Service Manager I liked no longer works there so that is the end of my relationship with that dealership. I drove on home for 13 mile miles with no issues and got home still no leaking. So that's that for today. I now start studying transfercases, axles and related leaks. Still can't trust the truck enough for passengers lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So that sound is probably your water pump and that leak was probably dex cool. The fans kick on and off randomly in every vehicle. Check the "weep hole" in the water pump. If you leaked that amount of fluid from a automatic transmission fluid and drive it's toasted.
They would be some guys I would love to do
........kinda lost me there....

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the realization in all that. It appears that the leak had been from the Transfercase. It could make perfect sense during the recent radiator change not only were new trans mission lines installed, but the Transfercase oil was also changed. Now here is what I suspect. I suspect the transfer case leak may have been from the fill plug and is why there was no leak while truck was still and not running, but when driving would then leak out. With all topped off and tightened red fluid leak issues may be solved. The Transfercase doesn't hold much fluid so the metal noise was from the transfercase running low on fluid. I will have it looked at and insure the proper fluid is put in it. Mean time Truck is running nice and smooth for the moment.

Radiator fans and coolant temp gauge seem to have sorted them selves out after coolant temp sensor was replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts