GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After checking all bushings, lower control arm, sway bar and shocks, it came down to rack and pinion inside inner tie rods inside steering rack are worn so only when bumpy roads it makes sound, found a cheap one for 120 bucks, will put her in myself. Did the same in my 1992 LX Mustang 5.0 so should be less messy since no hydraulic fluid to deal with. Just in case any of you 2005-2009 Nox owner has the sound check your steering rack

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New rack and pinion install

Best way to keep a car running and cutting costs is doing it yourself.

yesterday started removing the rack and pinion, first make the steering wheel fixed in position, using jack stands and towers jacks, having hard time removing tie rods, will have to use some WD40 and some hammering, then transfer the tie rods to new rack. afterward get it aligned in a shop and voila.

all the job will cost me $210, doing it myself and well $10 for alignment shop.
did the same job on the 1992 Mustang LX coupe 5.0, since the equinox uses electric power steering its less messy with hidraulic fluid to deal with.

just takes time and patience, there will be certain things I will not be able to do, because of time and tools but this is within reach for now. will share more pics on the job

Attachments

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
all the job will cost me $210, doing it myself and well $10 for alignment shop.
Wow - only $10 for an alignment ! In North America, we would be in the $50-100 range, easily. It may be worth the drive for us ! LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rack and pinion

finnally got the tie rods out, big hammer and wd40, put the new rack in and will assemble it all again, this is my wife car, mine is the little Spark, school start nex week so gotta get it finished this week.

Last time it had the ugly dash message, service Traction control off, abs, replaced the 2 hoses of the fresh air and pcv valve hoses, and no message anymore since 3 weeks of driving it.

will change transmission oil later in the following months, my Nox has 88,500 km or something like 55,000 miles on it. for a 2007 i think its low miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is remanufactured from CARDONE, hope it does its job and doesnt fail, I can do it again but shouldnt have to do it too soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has been aligned, the guy in the shop said I almost hit the alignment, it was a good install he said, brought it today to work, no clunks or rattles, will give it back to wife and keep using my Chevy Spark LS as a daily driver.

It feels good to do a good job and know your family will be riding on a safe and good job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts