GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Chevrolet equinox I replaced head gasket and all the other gasket that go with it also changed coolant, oil,water pump, thermostat and alternator. When I start the car the message center says low oil pressure shut down engine. I let it run for a couple mins and noticed a slight tapping noise . I'd really appreciate any advice or help from past experience.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My 2007 Chevrolet equinox I replaced head gasket and all the other gasket that go with it also changed coolant, oil,water pump, thermostat and alternator. When I start the car the message center says low oil pressure shut down engine. I let it run for a couple mins and noticed a slight tapping noise . I'd really appreciate any advice or help from past experience.
Both the low oil pressure message and tapping noise point to low oil pressure.
Put an oil pressure gauge on and see what your oil pressure is.

I am assuming you have the 3.4 V-6, looks like a common problem.
Type "GM 3.4 V6 oil pressure" into google, do a search, and start reading.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just put 5 quarts of valvoline high mileage full synthetic.And new ac delco oil filter.
I don't have a oil pressure gauge. I may have to get one. Thank you for the advice

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
I cleaned everything replaced all the gaskets with proper torque and sequence. Did thermostat water pump all hoses radiator alternator. The car was running before now after all this work the pos is tapping and has no oil pressure with brand new filter and 40 dollar oil. I'm about ready to scream its ridiculous.

Please no need for crude language.
Your post has been edited.
IceMan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sadly you can put all the most expensive and new oil and filters in it you want but if the pump isn't circulating it and making pressure... it won't do you any good. Your oil is not circulating and lubricating bearings, rockers, lifters and so forth. You can buy a gauge that screws into your engine after you remove the oil pressure sending unit to test oil pressure. Of the top of my head I would think at idle I would think you'd need a minimum of 20 PSI to keep things lubricated properly. You can rent the test gauge at most auto parts stores like AutoZone or Advance. Harbor Freight sells test gauges as well. Don't run it until you can test it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the language everyone....
It was hard to take the thought of failing to do a good job, having to do it again. I took it apart just now.
In order to triple check everything that I double checked already.
I found cylinder #1 rocker arm on the intake lifter was loose and Im pretty sure i torqued it down to spec. I was able to remove it with my fingers. Any thoughts on why that could have happened? Othef then my dumb butt left it loose ...Could that alone have caused the low oil pressure shutdown engine message? Im definitely going to get a gauge after my son's party. And I will update once I do. Thanks again for all the advice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
See if the threads are pulled on that rocker. If not, tighten it back up and see if it stays. It may have not been seated properly. Hopefully you didn't tear it down too far. Don't feel bad, I had to do my head gaskets twice due to using a faulty torque wrench.

If you didn't tear it completely down, put the valve cover back on and try it with the pressure gauge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I hooked a gauge up to the engine the message immediately stopped and I heard no tapping at idol and had about 22 psi on the gauge at idol. I didnt give it any gas as I'm afraid to hurt my engine not having alot of experience with oil pressure. I took the gauge off and put the oil pressure switch back on and immediately got the message again .
So most likely a bad oil pressure switch.. right? What do yall think

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
So most likely a bad oil pressure switch.. right? What do yall think
Yes a bad oil pressure switch can give you the message.
However a bad pressure switch cannot give you the the tapping sound.

22 PSI at idle is fine, keep in mind as engine temp increases to operating range your oil pressure will read lower.
Check it again with the engine warm (195F to 200F)
And check it warm while you are increasing RPM's to about 3,000 to 4,000.

Keep a close eye on that loose rocker.
If the bolt/stud/nut gets loose again you will have to replace it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes a bad oil pressure switch can give you the message.
However a bad pressure switch cannot give you the the tapping sound.

22 PSI at idle is fine, keep in mind as engine temp increases to operating range your oil pressure will read lower.
Check it again with the engine warm (195F to 200F)
And check it warm while you are increasing RPM's to about 3,000 to 4,000.

Keep a close eye on that loose rocker.
If the bolt/stud/nut gets loose again you will have to replace it.
Exactly! The old rule of thumb used to be 10 PSI of oil pressure for every 1000 RPM. This is back from where there were a lot of inline 6 engines. So at 3000 RPM you should have at least 30psi of oil pressure. Is this true today? probably not but I would think 35 to 40 PSI at 3k would be enough. With 250k on the clock, that engine is probably getting a little loose too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank yall again for the help. I replaced oil pressure switch got it running good it sounds perfect. Also bought new oil pump and timing chain. After talking to the dealer who use to do the work for us it still has the factory oil pump and timing chain..I still have to install the oil pump and timing chain, Also Thinking about a rebuild kit in the future? What do yall think?As always ,Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ive had my rocker arms come loose on me before, and it didnt present a low oil pressure light, but more so just a check engine light flashing indicating a misfire. If there is a loose rocker arm, expect a cel code to point to the co-responding cylinder. If you're lucky, it will be in the front, if you aren't, it'll be on the back side of the engine. It is common on many 3.4/3.5L engines post 05 because they use an 8mm rocker arm bolt instead of a 10mm (found on 3.4's out of montanas and ventures, so on and so forth). You have a couple of options regarding that.
1) try using a heli-coil. It isn't easy but takes a lot of patience. EricTheCarGuy has a video on youtube. You will need an 8x1.25 kit.
2) Replace the 8mm rocker arm with a 10mm. You need to tap out the hole to fit a 10x1.5. You don't need to replace the pushrod, just the rocker arm itself. Make sure that it is in good shape and most scrapyards may just give it to you because they're so easy to come by.
3) Replace the head. I called up my local machine shop and they had one for $200 cash. Personally, this option worked the best for me. I tried the heli-coil and upsizing the rocker arm and they both kept coming loose for whatever reason. I havent had a single problem with the new head.

It is very rare for gm's pushrod v6's to have faulty rings/ wear on the walls.Check the cylinders with a borsecope camera and see what comes of it.

Watched a video on a 2008 3.9L impala with a faulty oil pressure sensor, so that is definitely something to double check.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been driving it since Monday afternoon its running fine I double checked the threads on the rocker arm I'm pretty sure I just didnt torque it down and only hand tighten it. I tighten it and replaced the oil pressure switch it's running good I've had my autel maxicom mk808bt hooked to it all week and been having my friend ride with and monitor it closely. I spent about 5 days just resurfacing the heads both my gasket were blown in 2 or 3 spots but still not much overheating problems only alot of pressure in the coolant hoses ect. I'm gonna go in one more time this Sunday and check rocker arm. And try to replace timing chain and oil pump. Cant find any videos on either online so hoping for so help on that. Thank yall for everything I really appreciate it

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If you have a problem with a loose rocker check out Loctite, use the red.
Congrats.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks , I almost gave up on it lost my patience when I got it together and had the oil pressure switch issues with the tapping. But I love that car and never want to pay another car payment if I dont need to .

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've been driving it since Monday afternoon its running fine I double checked the threads on the rocker arm I'm pretty sure I just didnt torque it down and only hand tighten it. I tighten it and replaced the oil pressure switch it's running good I've had my autel maxicom mk808bt hooked to it all week and been having my friend ride with and monitor it closely. I spent about 5 days just resurfacing the heads both my gasket were blown in 2 or 3 spots but still not much overheating problems only alot of pressure in the coolant hoses ect. I'm gonna go in one more time this Sunday and check rocker arm. And try to replace timing chain and oil pump. Cant find any videos on either online so hoping for so help on that. Thank yall for everything I really appreciate it
I can't remember the thread or the title of it, but there is at least one thread with video here in the forum that covers replacing the timing chain. Can't remember anything regarding replacing the pump.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts