GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2006 that makes a fairly loud creaking nosie in the rear when I go over a speed bump and it's cold outside. When it's warm, it doesn't occur. I've read the other posts about brake cables on the 2010 models but am not sure if this could be the same issue or not. Since the issue only occurs when i go over a speed bump and the rear of the car moves up and down dramatically, i have been thinking suspension. I sprayed wd40 on all of the suspension bushings and made sure that it was not the spare tire. Still creaks. It definately sounds like rubber on metal. Has anyone else experienced this in an 06 and resolved it?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I don't know about others, but every car I've ever owned made groans and creaks and other noises in the winter when it gets cold. Sometimes I think my car is falling apart there are so many funny noises. ;D

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would recommend taking the vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed. They should be able to assist you further and have a plan for addressing the issue. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
441 Posts
usually when creaks on speedbumps and such occur look to your rear sway bar links...was always a common occurrence on the mazda3 i had prior.....also with it being cold all that rubber gets very hard....if it doesnt do it while warm, i wouldnt sweat it too much....but thats just me...lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I am posting a question here, chances are I don't want to take it to a dealer and I want to fix it myself... :) I have to figure that my car is not the only one having this issue, so I am curious as to what has fixed the problem for others. I know it's probably not a serious issue, just annoying because I have speed bumps in all directions in my neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I tend to agree with gar. If it doesn't happen when warm, I wouldn't worry, but then again I haven't heard that noise you're talking about.

I understand where you're coming from not wanting to go to the dealer and want to fix it yourself, but noises are very hard to diagnose without hearing it.
That is one of the main reasons for forums. Hopefully someone will give you the answer you need.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hats off to gar... It was warm enough to crawl underneath this weekend. Found swaybar bushing and soaked with WD40. No more creaking. This has to be fairly common and i'm figuring that the WD40 won't last. Any opinions on loosening and greasing the bushings for a longer lasting fix?

·
Registered
441 Posts
get new ones..polyurethane if possible........the rubber gets old and dry rotted.....sometimes its just in the design though...they just dont have enough enough 'wiggle' room so to speak, and bind up when they are pushed......as for greae, lithium grease is what you would want to do...wd40 is VERY temporary...not meant for lubrication....

i seriously doubt theres a different design out there seeing as the equinox isnt a hugely popular vehicle.....i bought some aftermarket race endlinks for my 3 which made a world of difference (so did the beefy solid RSB, lol)....

a quick search on jcwhitney showed a few products, poly bushings, and raybestos makes some endlinks.....didnt compare them to OEM, but they might be a little beefier...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts